Thread: Andre Smith suspended for Sugar Bowl

Andre Smith suspended for Sugar Bowl

NEW ORLEANS -- [B]Alabama Crimson Tide All-America left tackle Andre Smith has been suspended from the Sugar Bowl for violating team rules, possibly signaling an end to the Outland Trophy winner's college career.[/B]

"The University of Alabama, the team and the football program are more important than any individual player," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said in a statement Monday. "Every one on our team depends on each other to be responsible, to make good choices and decisions relative to their actions."

Saban did not specify Smith's violation leading up to Friday night's game against No. 6 Utah.
    [B]
    The junior is expected to be one of the top players selected in the NFL draft if he opts to skip his final season at Alabama. Smith has been noncommittal about his future plans, but Saban offered a hint in his statement that the player wouldn't be back.

"Andre Smith has done an outstanding job in our program as a person, student and a player and we will do all we can as an institution to support him in all future endeavors," Saban said.[/B]

"Our priority and focus as a team is to play the best football game of the season in this Sugar Bowl, and to support our players to overcome any adversity this unfortunate situation has created."

An instant starter with the Tide, Smith has allowed only one sack this season and seven during his 38-game career.

He won the Southeastern Conference's Jacobs Blocking Trophy as a sophomore and was a finalist for the Lombardi Award this season.

Earlier this month, he said he submitted his name to the NFL draft advisory board for feedback on his draft status.

"I'm not worried about it at all," Smith said at the time, adding that his focus was on the Sugar Bowl.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3798417[/url]

talk of this player going 1 overall was way way premature.

the way i see it there are 5 major OT prospects. Britton should stay another year. Smith is a top run blocker but at guard probably (Shaun Andrews type). Oher is the poor man's Pace. Monroe is like Brick with worse character, Jason Smith reminds me of a Chris Williams type that will go late 1 or early 2. Oher is my choice as the top tackle, but that's not real news.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2941017]talk of this player going 1 overall was way way premature.

the way i see it there are 5 major OT prospects. Britton should stay another year. Smith is a top run blocker but at guard probably (Shaun Andrews type). Oher is the poor man's Pace. Monroe is like Brick with worse character, Jason Smith reminds me of a Chris Williams type that will go late 1 or early 2. Oher is my choice as the top tackle, but that's not real news.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I feel stupid.

But I disagree on Jason Smith. The more I get to watch, the more I think he's the top SR. OT. Certainly a solid 1st rounder at the very least.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2941029]I agree. I feel stupid.

But I disagree on Jason Smith. The more I get to watch, the more I think he's the top SR. OT. Certainly a solid 1st rounder at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Im not trying to make people feel stupid. and it's still very much up for debate. It's just I've seen this before when a top senior gets nitpicked and everyone tries to find a "different" #1 for whatever reason. Jason Smith is a good player, as is Monroe, as is Smith. None of them have the LT potential as Oher and having a book written about you isn't a negative, at least not in my eyes.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2942643]Im not trying to make people feel stupid. and it's still very much up for debate. It's just I've seen this before when a top senior gets nitpicked and everyone tries to find a "different" #1 for whatever reason. Jason Smith is a good player, as is Monroe, as is Smith. None of them have the LT potential as Oher and having a book written about you isn't a negative, at least not in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

I feel stupid about Smith. I'm really not half as high on him now and wouldn't touch him if I was the Lions.

I think Smith is the best finisher in the run game out of the three. He's started to impress me with his nastiness. But the guy's a former TE with great feet and athleticism. He'll over-set sometimes or will over-extend sometimes but it's technical stuff that can get cleaned up. It think when people see him play more out of the three-point stance in the post-season, people will see the light.

It's not the book with Oher. He's inconsistent and dumb as rocks. He's not a bad player but he's not my #1 SR. OT/Top 5 pick for me as he is for you.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2942712]
    It's not the book with Oher. He's inconsistent and dumb as rocks. He's not a bad player but he's not my #1 SR. OT/Top 5 pick for me as he is for you.[/QUOTE]

that may be true but can't argue with results.

again Ole Miss beat Florida in their house, Alabama lost at a Neutral site

Oher is more valuable to his team than Smith is to his team... Oher is taller and faster - i don't really see by what empirical measurement Smith is better.

by the way the stuff he got nailed for, improper dealing with an agent, is unlikely to affect his draft status. they all do it.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2942721]that may be true but can't argue with results.

again Ole Miss beat Florida in their house, Alabama lost at a Neutral site

Oher is more valuable to his team than Smith is to his team... Oher is taller and faster - i don't really see by what empirical measurement Smith is better.

by the way the stuff he got nailed for, improper dealing with an agent, is unlikely to affect his draft status. they all do it.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how you can justify a team's performance in one game to help justify an individual prospect...especially an OT.

Ole Miss' DL disrupted Florida's offense and they tackled extremely well in the open field. Jevan Snead also had his coming-out party as a legitimate pro prospect. Ole Miss was the better team that day just as Florida was better than Alabama that day. It's not a reflection on the pro prospects of both players.

BUT, if you want to talk about Smith getting beat off the edge on Spikes who caused the game-ending INT, than I'm all ears. Smith- as an individual player- wasn't fantastic in that game.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2942759]
    BUT, if you want to talk about Smith getting beat off the edge on Spikes who caused the game-ending INT, than I'm all ears. Smith- as an individual player- wasn't fantastic in that game.[/QUOTE]

scouts often judge a player by their best competition. they aren't going to be watching tape of Alabama/UAB game to judge Andre Smith. Oher shut down Spikes (and Dunlap and Cunningham), Smith didn't. the Ole Miss offense moves Oher to the right side and run left - at times they use him as a decoy, that's how valuable he is to that team.

And it's not for naught, Ole Miss is going to face Texas Tech in a new years day bowl, yes Jevan Snead is a huge part of that but none of that happens if Michael Oher goes to Auburn or a different school.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2942808]scouts often judge a player by their best competition. they aren't going to be watching tape of Alabama/UAB game to judge Andre Smith. Oher shut down Spikes (and Dunlap and Cunningham), Smith didn't. the Ole Miss offense moves Oher to the right side and run left - at times they use him as a decoy, that's how valuable he is to that team.

And it's not for naught, Ole Miss is going to face Texas Tech in a new years day bowl, yes Jevan Snead is a huge part of that but none of that happens if Michael Oher goes to Auburn or a different school.[/QUOTE]

I understand that. If you want to say Oher shut down Dunlap, and want to use that to justify his pro prospects, fine. But you can't say Ole Miss beat Florida and that's why Oher's the best OT.

It's that reason why that second paragraph is erroneous. It implies Oher alone is responsible for Ole Miss' success and, in turn, he is a top prospect if only because Ole Miss beat Florida and surprised a lot of people by being a good team.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2942887]I understand that. If you want to say Oher shut down Dunlap, and want to use that to justify his pro prospects, fine. But you can't say Ole Miss beat Florida and that's why Oher's the best OT.

It's that reason why that second paragraph is erroneous. It implies Oher alone is responsible for Ole Miss' success and, in turn, he is a top prospect if only because Ole Miss beat Florida and surprised a lot of people by being a good team.[/QUOTE]

i don't think into it that deeply. on a surface level Florida was the best team OLE miss faced, and Oher is the best player on OLE Miss... maybe their best player since Patrick Willis or Eli Manning. beating Florida isn't the ONLY reason why Oher is a top OT prospect but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I just think it unfairly penalizes Smith and Monroe. Ole Miss is more talented than both those teams together. Snead, Wallace, John Jerry, Peria Jerry, Hardy, Sanford, Tillman, Lockett...I wouldn't be shocked to see them upset TT IF Hardy shows up to play like he did against UF.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2943731]I just think it unfairly penalizes Smith and Monroe. Ole Miss is more talented than both those teams together. [/QUOTE]

I can agree with that... and Im comparing Smith/Oher primarily, 2 SEC players. but for the record this year Jason Smith faced high level competition against Wake, UConn, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, nebraska, missouri, Texas - all losses (not his fault, just sayin). I compare him to Chris Williams because he is a very balanced player (run/pass) on a pretty bad team. He tends to use his feet to wall off rather than finish his blocks. Needs to improve technique and strength but should be a solid 1/2 round guy.

Monroe faced USC, UConn, Maryland, UNC, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wake, Clemson, Vtech, and the results were mixed... actually pretty good later in the year against Gtech and Vtech. Monroe was better than Branden Albert so that puts him up pretty high. He's is like Brick with better lower body, better run physicality but worse character, durability and consistancy. He came out as a top 5 type of player as a senior and laid an egg against USC on national tv. things like that hurt any player.

the Way i see it *which is different than how I would project it in a mock*:

Oher top 10 (with downside)
    Smith top 20
    Monroe top 20
    Smith top 45 (with upside)

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2943731]
    Snead, Wallace, John Jerry, Peria Jerry, Hardy, Sanford, Tillman, Lockett...I wouldn't be shocked to see them upset TT IF Hardy shows up to play like he did against UF.[/QUOTE]

The way Hardy has been under radar lately, is talking to media, with the time off to get healthy, with all the pass plays Tech runs, with a matchup against 28 year old Rylan Reed, a big day from Greg Hardy seems pretty likely. He's like Johnny Abe, and like Abe someone will value that skillset.