Thread: Union dues at work!

Union dues at work!

[QUOTE] The United Auto Workers may be out of the hole now that President Bush has approved a $17 billion bailout of the U.S. auto industry, but the union isn't out of the bunker just yet.

Even as the industry struggles with massive losses, the UAW brass continue to own and operate a $33 million lakeside retreat in Michigan, complete with a $6.4 million designer golf course. And it's costing them millions each year.

The UAW, known more for its strikes than its slices, hosts seminars and junkets at the Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center in Onaway, Mich., which is nestled on "1,000 heavily forested acres" on Michigan's Black Lake, according to its Web site.

But the Black Lake club and retreat, which are among the union's biggest fixed assets, have lost $23 million in the past five years alone, a heavy albatross around the union's neck as it tries to manage a multibillion-dollar pension plan crisis.

Critics call it a resort for union leaders that wastes money from union dues.[/QUOTE]

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,472304,00.html]more[/url]

So what would you like them to do ? Sell it at a loss ?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=kloogy;2941501]So what would you like them to do ? Sell it at a loss ?[/QUOTE]

If my retirement was dependent on it, yes.

My retirement is guaranteed through my Union for 5 years. I just think it's silly bringing up this one piece of property when CEO's get a salary which is more than what this course is worth. It's always easier to blame labor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe we should start threads about every piece of property that wealthy CEO's of bailed out financial firms own. Don't get me wrong, they should definitely sell it or turn it into a theme park or something...maybe "Why The Republicans Hate The Working Class-Funland" or something...but it's an asset that should be liquidated in hard financial times, help pay down retirement or health bennies a little bit.

But also seriously, if your gonna call working people and unions to the mat...also do it for the AIG a**holes who go more bailout money than Detroit and promptly used it to fund a weekend getaway to a luxury spa in Southern California. I know...and vice versa ;)

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=kloogy;2942239]My retirement is guaranteed through my Union for 5 years. I just think it's silly bringing up this one piece of property when CEO's get a salary which is more than what this course is worth. It's always easier to blame labor.[/QUOTE]

valid point

but when push comes to shove pension plan obligations trumps a golf course

I could careless if Detroit goes under the Execs and the UAW can go f--k themselves. Especially the UAW, BTW I am a union member!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2942816]I could careless if Detroit goes under the Execs and the UAW can go f--k themselves. Especially the UAW, BTW I am a union member![/QUOTE]

Nice. But we were supposed to be appalled when Obama said those same people "cling" to guns and religion...but go f--k themselves, huh? Perhaps he should have said that instead.

[QUOTE=Mythical Obama Model 22.165]These people cling to their jobs and retirement benefits! They can go pound salt, f--k off and eat s--t and die.[/QUOTE]

BTW, I market and design Obama robots