Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts On Mangini, Favre, Woody, Tannenbaum, Cowher, Pennington and Belichick

[QUOTE=johnnysd;2942858]A lot of people believe this but there is no evidence of this, and in fact everything pointed to the Jets wanting Clemens to be the starter. If anyone was going to be named starter in the off-season it would have been Kellen. Last year, naming Chad starter blew up in the team's face. The good year Chad has had this year (in an offense 100% tailored to cover up his weaknesses and only use his strengths- seam routes and check downs) makes people forget how truly horrendous Chad was the year before. There was no reason to believe anything other than Chad was done. In hindsight, this was partially the CS fault as they asked Chad to do a lot of things in the offense he just could not do. But the Jets were NEVER going to start Chad again. A lot of fans and media got carried away with Chad throwing less TC interceptions, but it did not matter. When Clemens failed to distinguish himself, and before Ratliff did, the Jets felt they needed to upgrade at QB, because THEY WERE NEVER GOING TO START CHAD AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

If that is really the case than the organization, from Tannenbaum to Woody to Mangini, did an awful job with the Pennington situation. He should have been traded before June 1st to a team like the Vikings or Bucs for a 6th or 7th rounder. I dont believe that is the case at all, but if it is you should be furious with the two running the organization last year.

All League
    [QUOTE=YJF;2942265]Where do I start? There is so much here to cover. I haven't chimed in yet on any of these subjects. Each subject kind of ties in to the other. Brace yourself, This is going to be a long post.
    [/QUOTE]

Maybe you should come here more often and write shorter posts. ;)

All Pro
    I don't understand how you can say that Brett Favre was the main cause for Eric Mangini getting fired.
    I never liked the Favre trade and I never wanted him here. I always liked Mangini, until this year.

But tell me, if Favre is ****ting the bed and playing so badly why do you keep calling passing plays? Over the final 4 games - NONE OF WHICH THE JETS WERE EVER OUT OF - unless you count the final minute of the Seattle and 49ers game - here is the breakdown of pass v. run.

Vs. Miami - 41 passes 21 runs
    Vs. Seattle - 31 passes 25 runs - IN THE SNOW
    Vs. Buffalo - 30 passes 24 runs
    Vs. 49ers - 31 passes 12 runs - bottom 5 run defense in the league

You have the leading rusher in the AFC, an electric running back like LW and an O-line with 4 first round picks, versus a QB that's old and obviously making poor decisions and poor throws.
    And this is your play selection?

For this reason alone - the collapse is Mangini's fault. Don't even get me started on Leon not getting double-digit carries until game 16! :steamin:

[QUOTE=TDJETS10;2943710]I don't understand how you can say that Brett Favre was the main cause for Eric Mangini getting fired.
    I never liked the Favre trade and I never wanted him here. I always liked Mangini, until this year.

But tell me, if Favre is ****ting the bed and playing so badly why do you keep calling passing plays? Over the final 4 games - NONE OF WHICH THE JETS WERE EVER OUT OF - unless you count the final minute of the Seattle and 49ers game - here is the breakdown of pass v. run.

You have the leading rusher in the AFC, an electric running back like LW and an O-line with 4 first round picks, versus a QB that's old and obviously making poor decisions and poor throws.

For this reason alone - the collapse is Mangini's fault. Don't even get me started on Leon not getting double-digit carries until game 16! :steamin:[/QUOTE]

TD it is very simple if you read the writting on the wall. Favre is a prima dona, aging QB that shows himself as a gritty man's-man. He fools people into thinking he's "just one of the guys." He can lead the NFL in INTs and still be many fans and media's darling. What has been stated was that Favre wants "star treatment" and Mangini didnt want to give it to him. There was a rif and this spilled into practice and I'm sure game planning. How would Eric Mangini, all of 36 years old and no nfl plying experience ever coach Favre the way he wnated to. Ask yourself: Why was it so easy for GB to trade Brett Favre? I think we are witnessing it first hand. We are suckers................

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jason423;2943018][B]If that is really the case[/B] than the organization, from Tannenbaum to Woody to Mangini, did an awful job with the Pennington situation. He should have been traded before June 1st to a team like the Vikings or Bucs for a 6th or 7th rounder. I dont believe that is the case at all, but if it is you should be furious with the two running the organization last year.[/QUOTE]

That's not the case at all....a post saturated with wrongness.....They were never going to start Chad again?????

Why would you pay someone 6 millions dollars if they were never going to start again?

They were going along witht he competition when an "upgrade" became available.

All this talk is moot anyway....The jets f*cked up once again and are the laughing stock of the league

What's even funnier is they continue to slurp on Favres dick when he has not done 1 thing to prove he can still play at a high level for the entire season. WOODY....GIVE IT UP, YOU'RE WRONG

Even the most stubborn ******* of ******* Jets fans have admitted the Favre move was a bust....and yet the man in charge can't man up.....could be 5 years before we see the playoffs

[B][QUOTE]BRETT FAVRE

Brett Favre was awful late in the season and he's one of the major reasons that The Jets went 1 and 4 down the stretch. He's one of the major reasons why Eric Mangini is no longer the coach. Brett played poorly and it had nothing to do with coaching. He made poor decision after poor decision with the football. He was a mess down the stretch. He cost the Jets mightily. The so called saviour and hero was anything but. I respect him mightily and enjoy his enthusiasm and leadership but he's old and breaking down. The Jets tried to swing for the fences and hit a home run with Favre and ultimately, They struck out. Will he come back? I doubt it. If he does, Why should I be excited about it? Kellen Clemens could have thrown 22 interceptions just as easily. Mike Tannenbaum pulled all the strings to get Favre and it was a gamble that didn't pay off..........

Favre was indeed bad down the stretch and made some really lousy plays but he also won a couple of games earlier in the year that a Chad Pennington would not have won. Also the Jets WR's were really played badly down the stretch as well, as in really bad. They couldn't get open, were blanketed 90% of the time and NEVER won a 50/50 ball. As I stated in a number of other threads, other QB's toss the ball up for grabs especially on long bombs and the WR's at the least put up a fight for the ball. (See Ted Ginn coming up with a Pennington floater that was under thrown while being double covered.) In the end Favres play went into the tank near the end but he got very little help from the receiving corps.[/QUOTE][/B]

------

I'm surprised no one is talking about Brett's pre-game "Pep Talk".

"Let's go out there and play like when we won 5 in a row. If we win, we win. If not, then that's that."

Are you ****ing kidding me? This is the intensity your vet HOF QB brings to the huddle? WTF? Anyone who played the game beyond the age of 12 wouldnt ever say or think this way before taking the field. Its pathetic. Even worse, "we" want him back next season. Disgusting that Woody would rather keep him for the market value than for his carrying value. ****ing disgrace

All Pro
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2943743]TD it is very simple if you read the writting on the wall. Favre is a prima dona, aging QB that shows himself as a gritty man's-man. He fools people into thinking he's "just one of the guys." He can lead the NFL in INTs and still be many fans and media's darling. What has been stated was that Favre wants "star treatment" and Mangini didnt want to give it to him. There was a rif and this spilled into practice and I'm sure game planning. How would Eric Mangini, all of 36 years old and no nfl plying experience ever coach Favre the way he wnated to. Ask yourself: Why was it so easy for GB to trade Brett Favre? I think we are witnessing it first hand. We are suckers................[/QUOTE]

Then he deserves to be fired for not being in control of his team and running the game plan he wants.

I completely agree with what you're saying Copernicus. I hated the day that Favre arrived here and I can't wait for him to leave. 22 interceptions? Ratliff could've done that.

[QUOTE=Chad Pennington;2943753]That's not the case at all....a post saturated with wrongness.....They were never going to start Chad again?????

Why would you pay someone 6 millions dollars if they were never going to start again?

They were going along witht he competition when an "upgrade" became available.

All this talk is moot anyway....The jets f*cked up once again and are the laughing stock of the league

What's even funnier is they continue to slurp on Favres dick when he has not done 1 thing to prove he can still play at a high level for the entire season. WOODY....GIVE IT UP, YOU'RE WRONG

Even the most stubborn ******* of ******* Jets fans have admitted the Favre move was a bust....and yet the man in charge can't man up.....could be 5 years before we see the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Nonsense, utter nonsense. The Favre move did not pay off, it was 100% the right thing to do at the time. Pennington had done nothing the last couple of years to suggest he could get the Jets to the next level. Hell he was worse than Kellen Clemens last year.

Penny had an epiphany, played well and was dropped into the absolute best situation possible for him. The Phins still made the playoffs by 7 points on the final day. It's not as if Favre was horrible all year and cost the Jets a playoff spot all his own. Look at the rankings, the Jets scored points and did well most of the year under Favre, they tanked as a team at the end and Favre played poorly, like about another 20 Jet players.

People wail about the Phish going 1-15 to the playoffs but the Jets, with Favre as part of the team with basically no camp time went 4-12 to 9-7.

Oh, also your comment about Favre not proving he can play for a full year at a high level? The guy is a hof QB who has basically never missed a start and was coming off a near MVP season. He had proved way way more than Penny ever has.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 12-30-2008 at 03:05 PM.

[QUOTE=TDJETS10;2943710]I

For this reason alone - the collapse is Mangini's fault. Don't even get me started on Leon not getting double-digit carries until game 16! :steamin:[/QUOTE]

... ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner !!! ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont see how signing Favre was a "gamble?" Yeah hes always made mistakes, but he is still Bret Favre..Thats not a gamble, Mike Vick would be what you can consider a gamble.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;2943784]Nonsense, utter nonsense. The Favre move did not pay off, [B]it was 100% the right thing to do at the time[/B]. Pennington had done nothing the last couple of years to suggest he could get the Jets to the next level. Hell he was worse than Kellen Clemens last year.

Penny had an epiphany, played well and was dropped into the absolute best situation possible for him. The Phins still made the playoffs by 7 points on the final day. It's not as if Favre was horrible all year and cost the Jets a playoff spot all his own. Look at the rankings, the Jets scored points and did well most of the year under Favre, they tanked as a team at the end and Favre played poorly, like about another 20 Jet players.

People wail about the Phish going 1-15 to the playoffs but the Jets, with Favre as part of the team with basically no camp time went 4-12 to 9-7.

[B]Oh, also your comment about Favre not proving he can play for a full year at a high level?[/B] The guy is a hof QB who has basically never missed a start and was coming off a near MVP season. He had proved way way more than Penny ever has.[/QUOTE]

1.) You can't say it was 100% the right thing to do at the time. BECAUSE IT WAS A BUST. Ryan Leaf was a good pickup at the time too, did that organization get solace for wrongly predictig the future. NO! you are judged by the result of your decisions....BUST

2.) He has done nothing this year to make the organization bank on him to complete an entire season at a high level.

a.) NO UPSIDE (no 300 yard games, inability to complete over 20 yards)
    b.) WORST DOWNSIDE IN THE NFL

What is "utter nonsense" is any other qb would get benched, but our organization is licking his ass

i think the point made in another forum about the difference in the miami vs. jet sidelines is more important that is emphasized. the entire feel of the jets, the mood, the perception, had become dour under mangini. at a certain point, perception becomes reality. mangini stood at podiums and deflected questions in monotone form and i think woody was sick of this emotionless man infecting the enthusiasm of his team.

Banned
    [QUOTE=24;2943800][B]I dont see how signing Favre was a "gamble?" [/B]Yeah hes always made mistakes, but he is still Bret Favre..Thats not a gamble, Mike Vick would be what you can consider a gamble.[/QUOTE]

You don't think it was a gamble?

Anything with risk of failure is a gamble......And boy was there failure.

The Favre move was not a bust since the Jets were relevant this year after a horrible season, it was nice to have a chance, he was not the savior or destroyer, just Brett Favre

I can not blame Favre for this year since Chad was the problem before Favre, Chad was benched for Kellen last year and was in a "close" competition in camp but now with proper coaching Chad is good for the fins, so coaching clearly has an impact on QB performance, also how many dropped passes and tips were interceptions, a bunch of the picks this year should have been caught so the receivers have some blame to share, the team was clearly not having fun at the end of the year and that also falls on the coaches (motivation)

The Brians must also share the blame (Schott and Dabol) poor game planning to run on teams with bad pass defenses and pass on team with bad run defenses plus the Defense was not consistent and lost more games than Favre did this year, lets relax on the QB hate...