Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schecter on Shmoozer: No Cowher for Jets

No disrespect to Adam Schefter, but even if Cowher has already accepted the Jets job, neither side would reveal it for awhile. :

The Jets would want maximum PR. This would get announced just before a playoff game for hype.

Coaches don't publicly pine for jobs of coaches just canned.

The Jets have to interview Token. (Which is more demeaning to minorities IMO)

This job is perfect for Cowher considering his family situation. I guess he could consider Jax, but this gig lines up great for him.

If Cowher really wants to coach again me thinks he walks into being the highest paid coach in the NFL.

I say a deal gets done.

Just because rookie HC's have failed here in the past, doesn't mean we should avoid hiring one again. There are retreads who could end up sucking here too. Hire the best candidate, bottom line. You could make the argument that besides Cowher, Spagnuolo is the 2nd best candidate out there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Adam Shefter is the best guy for inside info.

Jets Insider VIP
    [B]The Jets have asked permission to interview Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for their head-coaching opening.
    At least on paper, Spags is the quintessential head coach. His players love him, he looks the part, and he's awesome at in-game adjusting. He'd also be the antithesis to Eric Mangini, who backed off blitzing late in the '08 season. Spagnuolo is willing to bring pressure from any position on any given play.[/B]

Again, I don't mind Spags one bit as a fallback option.

Cowher has an once in a lifetime opportunity to accumulate really great wealth by extorting a Woody Johnson desperate to sell his PSLs.

There would be a far greater "spread" between a TV gig and coaching than usually attainable.

He would have to look himself in the mirror long and hard to turn down that type of money, and the security it would provide for his family. My guess is that the desperate Jets could and would pay him that type of money.

JMHO.

All League
    I'm a little baffled that we haven't heard ANYTHING about Rex Ryan

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2942421]I'm a little baffled that we haven't heard ANYTHING about Rex Ryan[/QUOTE]

Well the Ravens are preparing for a playoff game and Ryan can't interview with anyone until Baltimore loses.

The only reason we're hearing about Spagnuolo is because the Giants have a bye. It might be better for us if the Ravens lose early. Beat the Phins this week then lose in the divisional round. I want Ryan to at least get a chance at an interview here.

All League
    ESPN scroll says Cowher is interested in the NY Jets Job...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Once A Titan;2942339] Gruden would be a thought or someone like him.[/QUOTE]

We did have someone like him..Mangini had the team at 8-3 and blew it and Gruden had the Buc's at 9-3 and blew it..:yes:

[quote=Varjet;2942417]Cowher has an once in a lifetime opportunity to accumulate really great wealth by extorting a Woody Johnson desperate to sell his PSLs.

There would be a far greater "spread" between a TV gig and coaching than usually attainable.

He would have to look himself in the mirror long and hard to turn down that type of money, and the security it would provide for his family. My guess is that the desperate Jets could and would pay him that type of money.

JMHO.[/quote]

Exactly..BS walks and money talks..:yes:

[quote=Savage69;2942528]We did have someone like him..Mangini had the team at 8-3 and blew it and Gruden had the Buc's at 9-3 and blew it..:yes:[/quote]

Agree but one slight difference Their last four losses were to Carolina, Atlanta, San Diego, and Oakland. Three of these teams are quite good. (and Oakland was playing way better than we played them). Just saying...

</IMG>

it's been one day. maybe cowher is the guy and maybe he isn't. no doubt that tannenbaum will be talking to him. but don't forget there are a number of assistants who are worthy of consideration on playoff teams. it would be foolish of the jets to put all their hopes on cowher at such an early stage. moreover, even though they would probably load up the wheelbarrow for cowher they aren't going go that far. another point to consider is how long they intend on keeping the coach or giving him a chance to deliver a champion. cowher had two sb appearances in about 10 seasons with the steelers. is that enough?

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;2942318]I'm still holding out hope because none of the "experts" thought Favre would be a Jet either.[/QUOTE]

And where did Favre get you?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Schefter is the best in the business, bar none.

[QUOTE=Savage69;2942528]We did have someone like him..Mangini had the team at 8-3 and blew it and Gruden had the Buc's at 9-3 and blew it..:yes:[/QUOTE]

The thing about Tampa is people said how the Defense started quitting on the team after Monte Kiffin announced after the season he would be going to take the Defensive Coordinator Job at Tennessee under his son Lane Kiffin.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2942325]I don't like this thread :([/QUOTE]

this was fairly obvious going into the situation

if Cowher was going to be the coach we'd know about it by now

they didn't fire mangini to get Cowher they fired Mangini without a real plan.

[QUOTE=Darth Vader;2942314]Why is spagnuolo better? he's never even been a HC before..

We'd have been better keeping Mangini.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. This is based on experience alone. Spagnuolo is a far better motivator than Mangini (something this team has not had in a HC since Herm) and designs successful defenses that ATTACK and constantly pressure the other team. He does not play "not to lose."

I see Spagnuolo as someone who has a far better skill set than Mangini for a Head Coaching Gig. If Favre retires or walks (highly likely), we won't really be built to win next year anyway. If this is the case, let Spags or Rex Ryan take the job and prepare for years 2 and 3 of their tenure.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2942550]And where did Favre get you?[/QUOTE]

TX, I've been meaning to ask you.

Out of the following:

Cowher
    Spagnuolo
    Rex Ryan
    Billick
    M. Schottenheimer

Which coach do you least want the Jets to get? I.E., which coach will make the Jets the best team compared to the other coaches?

And, which coach would you consider an absolute joke? IE, the coach that you want the Jets to get, because the Jets would suck after a while?

Yeah if Schefter says it it's true.

I wouldn't mind Spagnolo. We'll see I guess. I wonder if he might try and switch the team back to a 4-3 though...

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2942618]this was fairly obvious going into the situation

if Cowher was going to be the coach we'd know about it by now

they didn't fire mangini to get Cowher they fired Mangini without a real plan.[/QUOTE]

They have to interview minority candidates before they announce anything. Even if they had a plan and a deal in place already they can't announce they have a head coach already...unless he is a minority.