Thread: FA Possibility - Igor Olshansky?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

FA Possibility - Igor Olshansky?

I was just perusing FA listings and noticed that he was a FA this year. I haven't seen the Chargers much this year, but I've always liked him in years past. He plays with a nasty streak and is real strong - the perfect 3-4 DE.

Besides Antonio Bryant, who is almost assuredly going to re-sign with the Bucs, he's probably the one realistic guy I would like to sign. Ellis is getting old and Coleman is simply not that good and barely deserves to start. We aren't getting Haynesworth, so I'm not going to waste time thinking about that. The Chargers have already resigned Castillo so it may very well be that they will let him go.

Anyone have any thoughts on him? He grew up in SF, so if he has a choice, he may stay on the left coast.

Jets Insider VIP
    If he hits the FA market I'd absolutely take a look at him. Our DE's are far from great and we are hurting for depth. Olshansky would be a great pickup.

[QUOTE=crasherino;2943008]I was just perusing FA listings and noticed that he was a FA this year. I haven't seen the Chargers much this year, but I've always liked him in years past. He plays with a nasty streak and is real strong - the perfect 3-4 DE.

Besides Antonio Bryant, who is almost assuredly going to re-sign with the Bucs, he's probably the one realistic guy I would like to sign. Ellis is getting old and Coleman is simply not that good and barely deserves to start. We aren't getting Haynesworth, so I'm not going to waste time thinking about that. The Chargers have already resigned Castillo so it may very well be that they will let him go.

Anyone have any thoughts on him? He grew up in SF, so if he has a choice, he may stay on the left coast.[/QUOTE]
    I would take him in a hart beat is is a stud DE in a 3-4 system.

By virtue of making the Pro Bowl, Albert Haynesworth is going to be a free agent this year.

Imagine Jenkins and Haynesworth in a 4-3 defense, with a good DC. Wow.

eh - id rather get a DE through the draft. Is this guy really good? He plays next to 2 all pros with an all pro behind him. 1 all pro is gone this year and this team cant stop anyone. But I guess if hes 'cheap' hes not a bad fit.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2943209]By virtue of making the Pro Bowl, Albert Haynesworth is going to be a free agent this year.

Imagine Jenkins and Haynesworth in a 4-3 defense, with a good DC. Wow.[/QUOTE]

Haynesworth is a pipe dream, not reality. We simply do not have the money to sign him, or even be in the discussions.

[QUOTE=crasherino;2943283]Haynesworth is a pipe dream, not reality. We simply do not have the money to sign him, or even be in the discussions.[/QUOTE]

If Favre retires we do.

I've met him a few times, his parents live in NY and i think he would be a good fit here.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2943283][B]Haynesworth is a pipe dream[/B], not reality. We simply do not have the money to sign him, or even be in the discussions.[/QUOTE]

Plus, he's not a Mangini guy. Oh wait...

Olshansky!
    I think signing a jewish DL is a great idea!

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943390]Plus, he's not a Mangini guy. Oh wait...[/QUOTE]

That wasn't even funny because they would have signed Haynesworth with Mangini.

As far as Olshansky goes, no jews on this team please.

Heh, Olshansky would be a good addition. DE who is very big and solid against the run.

It may be time to move on from a guy like Ellis.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 12-30-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943500]That wasn't even funny because they would have signed Haynesworth with Mangini.[/QUOTE]

And you're basing that on what? All the guys that Mangini signed during his tenure as the Jets GM?

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943506]And you're basing that on what? All the guys that Mangini signed during his tenure as the Jets GM?[/QUOTE]

I'm basing it on the same garbage that you based your opinion on.

Mangini named one of his children after a dirty cheap shot artist in Rodney Harrison. The stomping would not have prevented Haynesworth from being here.

When Mangini says that he wants certain types of guys, he's just saying he wants guys that aren't going to point fingers and take down the team from the inside.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943523]I'm basing it on the same garbage that you based your opinion on.

Mangini named one of his children after a dirty cheap shot artist in Rodney Harrison. [B]The stomping would not have prevented Haynesworth from being here.[/B]

When Mangini says that he wants certain types of guys, he's just saying he wants guys that aren't going to point fingers and take down the team from the inside.[/QUOTE]

You're right. A franchise tag, a huge contract, or playing for a coach who is light years ahead of Mangini would prevent Haynesworth from being here. Stop your nonsensical speculation.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943547]You're right. A franchise tag, a huge contract, or playing for a coach who is light years ahead of Mangini would prevent Haynesworth from being here. Stop your nonsensical speculation.[/QUOTE]

LOL

You don't follow football much do you? Haynesworth can't be franchised anymore. Do some reading and you'll find out why.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943552]LOL

You don't follow football much do you? Haynesworth can't be franchised anymore. Do some reading and you'll find out why.[/QUOTE]

I know why, but for you to say that Haynesworth would come here if Mangini was still here is dumb.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943598]I know why, but for you to say that Haynesworth would come here if Mangini was still here is dumb.[/QUOTE]

You didn't know why and that is the reason that is why you posted what you did.

For you to not even know the facts suggests your opinion isn't based on much of anything.

It's OK. Everyone can't know everything, just smarter to take the punch and move along.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943622]You didn't know why and that is the reason that is why you posted what you did.

For you to not even know the facts suggests your opinion isn't based on much of anything.

It's OK. Everyone can't know everything, just smarter to take the punch and move along.[/QUOTE]

Dude, your smug attitude isn't impressive. Sue me for not realizing that Haynesworth had been previously franchised. What it all boils down to is that you're a Mangini fan and can't stand that he was fired.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943635]Dude, your smug attitude isn't impressive. Sue me for not realizing that Haynesworth had been previously franchised. What it all boils down to is that you're a Mangini fan and can't stand that he was fired.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to impress anyone. Just calling out someone who doesn't know something when they are trying to be critical. If you are going to be critical, know your facts or your opinion/argument becomes worthless.

And i've moved on from Mangini being fired although I would have preferred one more year. It's going to be extremely fun to watch some of you people watch him win somewhere else, just like it has been to watch you people deal with Chad winning somewhere else. And I'm guess you were anti Chad as well?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943661]Not trying to impress anyone. Just calling out someone who doesn't know something when they are trying to be critical. If you are going to be critical, know your facts or your opinion/argument becomes worthless.

And i've moved on from Mangini being fired although I would have preferred one more year. It's going to be extremely fun to watch some of you people watch him win somewhere else, just like it has been to watch you people deal with Chad winning somewhere else. And I'm guess you were anti Chad as well?[/QUOTE]

I listed "signed a huge contract" and "playing for a coach who is light years better than Mangini" also. How come you didn't mention those? Speaking of opinion/argument becoming worthless...

If not thinking that Chad was the right fit for this team makes me "anti-Chad," then I guess I was.