Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Free Agents -- Possible Jets Targets?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Free Agents -- Possible Jets Targets?

This year's UFA class is quite impressive. Woody spent a boatload of cash last year, but if Favre leaves (like many think and hope he will) we'll have some money to throw around this year, too.

This could be very beneficial if we have to convert to the 43 defense. I'm interested in seeing who the board thinks would be the best players to sign.

QB- Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, David Garrard, Kerry Collins, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Orton, and Chris Simms.

RB- There are a few studs here: Steven Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Correll Buckhalter, Darren Sproles, Cedric Benson, JJ Arrington, Fred Jackson, LaMont Jordan, Kevin Jones, and Dominic Rhodes

WR- Antonio Bryant, TJ Housh, Devery Henderson, Bryant Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Koren Robinson, and Reggie Williams

OL- Not a whole lot here: Pete Kendall, Mark Tausher, and Mike Goff among others.

DL- Julius Peppers, Albert Haynesworth, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Bertrand Berry, and more.

LB- Channing Crowder, James Farrior, Andra Davis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Willie McGinest, Jyles Tucker

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Gamble, Bryant McFadden, and Dunta Robinson

S- Mike Brown, Darren Sharper, Dawan Landry, Brian Dawkins

As you can see, there's lots of talent available out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would never happen in a billion years, but adding Nnamdi and Sharper would give us the best secondary in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart Scott ILB Ravens

This is an interesting one, Albert Haynesworth, Titans (imagine him and Jenkins on the same line)...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Dawan Landry

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antonio Bryant is an interesting target. He had quite a ressurection this season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure Farrior just signed a big extension in Pitt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until we have a HC in place we won't know what they are looking for. What defense will we run next year? What offense will we run next year? Until those questions are answered it will be difficult to predict if the Jets will go after anyone in FA.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind adding Albert Haynesworth and going back to a 4-3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2943238]I wouldn't mind adding Albert Haynesworth and going back to a 4-3.[/QUOTE]

You add a player like Haynesworth, no matter what scheme you play. That man can't be blocked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=arsenal1189;2943219]Love Dawan Landry[/QUOTE]

+100000000000

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    do we have any cap room next year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;2943284]You add a player like Haynesworth, no matter what scheme you play. That man can't be blocked.[/QUOTE]

He could play strong side defensive end in a 3-4. I'm telling you, a move like this would make me drool

Unlikely but one can still dream

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=arsenal1189;2943302]He could play strong side defensive end in a 3-4. I'm telling you, a move like this would make me drool

Unlikely but one can still dream[/QUOTE]

Agree, our 3 man front would always occupy at least 5 blockers. Plus I would hate to switch defenses again

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no money for any of this. In any event, several players (Haynesworth included) will be off the market before free agency starts.

We got our toys last year. This year, you're strictly looking at tweaking the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;2943204]This year's UFA class is quite impressive. Woody spent a boatload of cash last year, but if Favre leaves (like many think and hope he will) we'll have some money to throw around this year, too.

This could be very beneficial if we have to convert to the 43 defense. I'm interested in seeing who the board thinks would be the best players to sign.

QB- Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, David Garrard, Kerry Collins, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Orton, and Chris Simms.

RB- There are a few studs here: Steven Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Correll Buckhalter, Darren Sproles, Cedric Benson, JJ Arrington, Fred Jackson, LaMont Jordan, Kevin Jones, and Dominic Rhodes

WR- Antonio Bryant, TJ Housh, Devery Henderson, Bryant Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Koren Robinson, and Reggie Williams

OL- Not a whole lot here: Pete Kendall, Mark Tausher, and Mike Goff among others.

DL- Julius Peppers, Albert Haynesworth, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Bertrand Berry, and more.

LB- Channing Crowder, James Farrior, Andra Davis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Willie McGinest, Jyles Tucker

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Gamble, Bryant McFadden, and Dunta Robinson

S- Mike Brown, Darren Sharper, Dawan Landry, Brian Dawkins

As you can see, there's lots of talent available out there.[/QUOTE]

How old is your list? Garrard (last year), Steven Jackson (late August), Tucker, and Gamble have all re-signed. Also, didn't Bryant Johnson just sign a LTD last off-season?

We're not gonna have money to spend like last off-season so forget about Peppers, Haynesworth, Asomougha, etc. Like Landry, Bart Scott. Would love Tauscher, and move Woody to G, but he'll get big money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB- Kurt Warner - Only guy I would want from that list.

RB- No RBs I would want from that list due to cost. Would love Jackson but I don't want to pay the big bucks to a back with miles on him.

WR- TJ Housh is the guy I might want but once again he might be too pricey. The Jets desperately need a tall WR that can make plays for the QB. We need to draft one of the better ones if we can't trade or FA aquire one.

OL- We are thin depth wise but the O-line was good this year, no real concern.

DL- A lot of this will depend on our next coach and the system they run. We do need help but can't afford a really big dollar guy in my mind.

LB- We need help at LB but I'd like to fill the hole next to Harris via the draft.

CB- Cost once again may be a problem here but we certainly need to upgrade our #2 CB in a bad way.

S- Another area of need, I wouldn't mind signing a vet here to help out.

We also need a punter in a real bad way, sign a competent vet or actually use a late round pick to get the best college punter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=maury420;2943220]Antonio Bryant is an interesting target. He had quite a ressurection this season.[/QUOTE]

If we land Bryant we're set at WR for the next three seasons or more, he would be our "big WR".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to add a WR also. Antonio Bryant looked pretty damn good at the end of the year, but he might be a little expensive.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=maury420;2943220]Antonio Bryant is an interesting target. He had quite a ressurection this season.[/QUOTE]

+1

Man, I would love to have him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=arsenal1189;2943219]Love Dawan Landry[/QUOTE]

Landry is a RFA and we'd have to give up something. I doubt the Ravens would part ways with the guy but if we could package Coles and a low draft pick that'd be our best option. It sucks cause I doubt they'd pick up his contract. Would absolutely love to see what him and Rhodes could do back there.

If we do get Cowher, which seems likely now, then I think the first person he'd go after is Bryant McFadden who he drafted in 2005. McFadden plays both CB and Safety, is very productive (4 INTs, 1 sack, and 5 INTs), and knows the 3-4.

However, if we really got both Landry and McFadden that'd be perfect. In the draft, take care of ILB (1st round) and WR (2nd round).