Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL "Cowher as Possible Jets Coach Rumour and Speculation" Thread

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

The OFFICIAL "Cowher as Possible Jets Coach Rumour and Speculation" Thread

Breaking news

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPM? I'll wait for ESPN's take on it, provided a link. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smokescreen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hearing it on the FAN. Cowher wants his own personnel guy, so if Tannenbaum stays, Cowher isn't interested.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all over the place right now. Cowher won't interview because he wants to bring in his own personnel guy, and Woody is staying loyal to Tannenbaum.

You've GOT to be kidding me.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]

Tuesday, December 30, 2008
    Sources: Cowher wants total control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who rejected a chance to become head coach of the Browns over the weekend, is not going to interview for the head coaching position of the New York Jets, according to multiple sources.

Cowher, according to a source, has been contacted by the Jets. Although he is interested in the Jets job, he told them he won't be a candidate because he would like to have the ability to bring in his own personnel person. Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to keep Mike Tannenbaum as his general manager after firing Eric Mangini as head coach Monday.

With Tannenbaum as the general manager, Cowher is willing to pass on the Jets opportunity, stay in broadcasting for another year and wait to come back to coaching in 2010.

Cowher has told friends the Jets job interested him for several reasons. First, Cowher would love to be coaching in the New York market. Second, two of his daughters are either going to school or working in the New York-New Jersey area.

Cowher does plan to coach in 2010. In 2009, though, he was only willing to return if every situation was right for him. He wanted to have a two-year break from coaching to be with family and recharge his energy.

Over the weekend, Cowher met with Browns owner Randy Lerner, who asked him what it would take financially for him to be the Browns head coach. Having a close relationship with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and still wanting more time with the family, Cowher didn't give Lerner a price and said no.

He recently extended his television contract for another season.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't all these so called "experts" and "close to the situation" people claim last year that the Jets were a long shot to land Favre? I recall them also saying that there would be no way that he would come to NY...

All I am saying is that I would not take all these reports seriously at this point...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it turns out that we DO miss out on Cowher because Woody wants to keep Tannenbaum then I'm done. There's NO reason why MIke T can't take a backseat for this one, hell he's lucky to have a job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum is an idiot not willing to compromise with Bill.. I thought this was the reason we fired Mangini, to aggressively pursue Cowher?

Anyways, I think everything points to Spags and Marty..2 choices, that I definately would not be disappointed with,

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is ridiculous. I'm sure even Tannenbaum himself would be perfectly willing to let Cowher make the player evaluation decisions. All Tanny is going to do is lock down the numbers and get the deals done.

Why can't they co-exist? This doesn't make any sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Integrity28;2942934]It's all over the place right now. Cowher won't interview because he wants to bring in his own personnel guy, and Woody is staying loyal to Tannenbaum.

You've GOT to be kidding me.[/QUOTE]

It's Tanny's turn to take one for the team. Get back into the accounting office you pencil pusher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody. Listen up! You let Cowher bring in his own guys period. If Tanny doesn't like being the cap guy again then fire him.

Adios Mr.T, I WANT COWHER!
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 12-30-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am lukewarm on Marty....I know he has a good proven winning record in his past stops but his playoff record still leaves something to be desired...

Some Jets fans want this move but I would bet that it would not be long after a few playoff misses they will be calling for this guys head too....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike T will not get another GM job anywhereso tell him to be the cap guy under Cowher or get the hell out of here

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets flood the Jets offices with Phone Calls!

THis is ridiculous, I do not want to put up with this crap. We better wake up. Go get Bill C., and Get rid of Brett F.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sux. Woody has no 'football' mind. He's attached to the hip with Tannenbaum. It's his security blanket. That's why he's around.

Mike take a back seat. Do the right thing man. Keep your Exec VP and fade to the background...if anything so we don't have to hear your double-speak and "um" filled interviews.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, only the F'n Jets!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;2942924]ESPM? I'll wait for ESPN's take on it, provided a link. :D[/QUOTE]

Soon as I posted I know I would get busted for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll wait to hear from ESPM as ESPN has an awful track record of "breaking news".