Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL "Cowher as Possible Jets Coach Rumour and Speculation" Thread

Veteran
    I don't think Mr. T is even complaining about giving up any power (or has said a word about it either way)...I think this is a pure Woody Johnson decision on how he wants his front office to remain...

I think if the Jets have not pulled the trigger by the end of the week (or sooner) Bill Parcells will be the darkhorse selection here....to much being said about him breaking free from the Dolphins

I'm confused. Didn't Tannenbaum always say personnel decisions were made on a consensus basis with him and the HC. If this is the case why can't Cowher bring in a Personnel guy of his own choosing and Tanny, Cowher and Cowher's guy could make the decisions together. Plus, Tanny never struck me as the kind of GM who forces players on a coach (like the GM in SD). I though he was the kind of GM who sought to get players his coach wants.

There is no reason Cowher should not be the next HC of the NYJ. This is not a deal breaker, a compromise is clearly available. I think this is posturing on Cowher's part to get a few more dollars and some more control.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DanJet24;2942960]Lets flood the Jets offices with Phone Calls!

THis is ridiculous, I do not want to put up with this crap. We better wake up. Go get Bill C., and Get rid of Brett F.[/QUOTE]

+1...I cant beleive Woody would let Mr.T stop him from getting Cowher...You're right, Time to flood the Jets offices in Florham Park..:steamin:

Rookie
    REPORT: TANNENBAUM’S PRESENCE CAUSES COWHER TO PASS ON JETS
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 11:01 a.m.
    Bill Cowher’s flirtation with the Jets apparently didn’t last too long.

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, Cowher was interested. He even had some preliminary discussions with the Jets regarding their head-coaching vacancy.

But the discussions, per Clayton, fell apart because ”there wasn’t a front-office configuration that interests him.”

In other words, the decision of owner Woody Johnson to fire only coach Eric Mangini and not G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has prevented the Jets from landing Cowher.

Cowher would have wanted final say over the roster. And Cowher would have wanted to bring Kevin Colbert and/or Omar Khan from the Steelers to run the personnel side of the business.

But Tannenbaum wasn’t going anywhere, so Cowher isn’t coming to town.

And that’s precisely the way Jets fans need to view this one. Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum, a lawyer who cozied up to Bill Parcells and became a salary-cap wizard and scratched the right backs and kissed the right asses and climbed over guys like Terry Bradway until Tannenbaum occupied a position where he could squander millions on overhyped veterans and suffer no consequences when they failed to succeed.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher, a 15-year head coach who followed a living legend in Pittsburgh, led the Steelers to six AFC title game appearances, two Super Bowl berths, and won the same number of Lombardi Trophies that the Jets have claimed in the entire history of the franchise.

Who would you choose? Tannenbaum or Cowher?

Meanwhile, we’re amazed by the fact that the New York media has yet to focus on Tannenbaum’s responsibility for the current status of the team.

Tannenbaum signed Calvin Pace. Tannenbaum signed Damien Woody. Tannenbaum drafted Vernon Gholston. Tannenbaum traded for Brett Favre. Tannenbaum traded away John Abraham.

Johnson could have traded Tannenbaum for Cowher.

And didn’t.

Jets fans should be enraged.

All League
    I'd say Mr. T take a back seat and crunch numbers, let Billy C bring in whoever he wants.

Of course, this is the Jets, so Mr. T will stay, and Billy C will move on.

[QUOTE=Integrity28;2942934]It's all over the place right now. Cowher won't interview because he wants to bring in his own personnel guy, and Woody is staying loyal to Tannenbaum.

You've GOT to be kidding me.[/QUOTE]

Why? Cowher didn't have persoonnel authority in Pittsburgh, how do you know he would be good?

[QUOTE=JetsPrisoner12;2942923]Breaking news[/QUOTE]

How do you spell ESPN wrong?;)

ESPM > ESPN :yes:

Veteran
    Lets face at it guys...Cowher has the upper hand with any team....he can put his price (money or power) on the table...if a team agrees and he wants to come back now, he will. If not...there is no rush fro him to move to coach in 2009....he will be well sought after again in 2010.....it is not like his window is closing quickly....

If firing Tanny is the only way to get Mr. Chin and sell PSL's, Woody will be saying bye-bye to Tanny later today.

Lord knows who we are going to get now?

Is Jerry Glanville available?

This is absurd. Seasoned HC don't want jobs that doesn't allow them to have some sort of say in personel.

Guys this isn't over... Remember with Favre not wanting to come here?? If Cowher has interest in coaching the Jets and thats the reason, then this is not over. Mike Tannenbaum can meet with him and talk over. They can all talk and try and sell this team. I still believe!!!!

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    [QUOTE=Boomer7;2942938]didn't all these so called "experts" and "close to the situation" people claim last year that the Jets were a long shot to land Favre? I recall them also saying that there would be no way that he would come to NY...

All I am saying is that I would not take all these reports seriously at this point...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but his is from a new source: ESPM. Let's see if they get it right.
    :)

[QUOTE=Nocomment;2943001]If firing Tanny is the only way to get Mr. Chin and sell PSL's, Woody will be saying bye-bye to Tanny later today.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would think twice about firing Tannenbaum for Cowher's "player- personnel" authority. He's never done it before...In Pittsburgh he was just the HC.

Cowher isn't dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy on TV said the Jets Front Office said they don't know if thats true and that they are still looking into this. He said that this isn't over and the Jets still have a chance.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2942977]I'm confused. Didn't Tannenbaum always say personnel decisions were made on a consensus basis with him and the HC. If this is the case why can't Cowher bring in a Personnel guy of his own choosing and Tanny, Cowher and Cowher's guy could make the decisions together. Plus, Tanny never struck me as the kind of GM who forces players on a coach (like the GM in SD). I though he was the kind of GM who sought to get players his coach wants.

There is no reason Cowher should not be the next HC of the NYJ. This is not a deal breaker, a compromise is clearly available. I think this is posturing on Cowher's part to get a few more dollars and some more control.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Tanny would be outvoted 2-1 a lot in that scenario!

Tannenbaum said that he would be willing to give some of his powers/control up for a coach......so whats the problem COWHER??? You are going to get whatever you want anyway!:steamin:

ESPN said Mike Tannenbaum is willing to give a Head Coach most the power of the organization if that was to get him with the team.

I like Tannenbaum but if he is in the way of getting Cowher here he has to go Woody...

You can't lose this opportunity to get Cowher in here...

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2942992]Why? Cowher didn't have persoonnel authority in Pittsburgh, how do you know he would be good?[/QUOTE]

Cowher is not asking for the authority himself. He wants to hire a guy from Pitt. Why wouldn't he? The guy from Pitt knows what kind of players Cowher needs. A front office restructring is in order. There is room for both Tanny and Cowhers personnel guy.