Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL "Cowher as Possible Jets Coach Rumour and Speculation" Thread

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2943011]Honestly, I would think twice about firing Tannenbaum for Cowher's "player- personnel" authority. He's never done it before...In Pittsburgh he was just the HC.[/QUOTE]

You're out of your mind.Kevin Colbert and/or Omar Khan from the Steelers to run the personnel side of the business? Why have they done bad with the Steelers? You've got to be kidding me!

This is sick!!!:steamin:

TANNY HAS GOT TO GO!!!

[QUOTE=JetsPrisoner12;2942965]Soon as I posted I know I would get busted for that.[/QUOTE]

It's the way of the JI!

[QUOTE=KnoxJetFan;2943017]Sounds like Tanny would be outvoted 2-1 a lot in that scenario![/QUOTE]

Hey, if Tanny thinks he is a good "football" guy, he would trust his ability to hold his own on player evaluations with Cowher and a new guy.

Veteran
    guys...this is the game that they play. As I said, Cowher has the upper hand in these talks...he will test the Jets to see how bad they want him and how much he can get....if they come to his terms...he will bite. If he wasn't interested, he wouldn't even be talking to them.....

This is similar to last year with Favre....first he was along shot....never will come to NY....then Jets in the running....could happen.....Jets gaining steam for Favre.....Tampa bay has him....he wants to play in good weather...blah blah blah....

Next day ESPN reports Favre is a JET.....

Won't be surprised if this plays out in the same way.....

Benigno is going nuts on the FAN right now...:D

Veteran
    All of this back and forth just sounds like negotiations to me. I think Cowher's camp is just using the "take away" to get what he wants. There is no way Tannenbaum would not be open to giving personnel authority to Cowher. As someone said on this board yesterday, Tannenbaum is a lawyer not a scout.

Waterboy
    The one thing I could see being a part of Cowher's decision not to want Tannenbaum around is not personnel related, but maybe office politics.

Tannenbaum might be able to run to Woody if he disagreed with something Cowher was trying to do.

Petty, I know, but within the realm of possibility.

Be careful what you wish for Jets fans, you just might get it.

can't wait until year 2 of the chin regime when everyone realizes he gets owned by Bellichek every time except for once.

All League
    [QUOTE=DanJet24;2942940]Tannenbaum is an idiot not willing to compromise with Bill.. I thought this was the reason we fired Mangini, to aggressively pursue Cowher?

Anyways, I think everything points to Spags and Marty..2 choices, that I definately would not be disappointed with,[/QUOTE]

two points....
    1) I would not rule out a 'comprimise' between Cowher, Woody and Tannenbaum if Cowher is really who they want. What just occured may be the 'first' of many more conversations.

2) The Jets did not definitively fire Mangini so they could go after Cowher. Cowher is just on the TOP of the list of possibilities. No way they fire Mangini with all the eggs in the Cowher basket. They had to have a pulse on Cowher's mindset beforehand.

They'll be looking under every rock for the next HC.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If all parties wanted this to happen, Tanny remaining GM shouldn't stand in the way. He is not, and never was, a personnel man. If Cowher wants to bring in a VP for Player Personnel, by all means he should do it. If Tanny has too much of an ego, C-Ya! But I doubt he does....I think Tanny realizes what a great gig he has and doesn't want to F' it up....if that means him being in charge of all non-personnel issues and runs the business side of the team, so be it.

Tanny can do all the negotiating and convincing (ala Favre this summer) but I doubt he's breaking down tape of a potential FA pickup to determine if his foot placement is proper when rushing the QB from a 3 point stance.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2943066]Be careful what you wish for Jets fans, you just might get it.

can't wait until year 2 of the chin regime when everyone realizes he gets owned by Bellichek every time except for once.[/QUOTE]

Bit, your obviously one of the most informed guys on the board. But isn't your statement true for the majority of coaches in the NFL? Pats have been solid for years, doesn't Belli sorta own everyone except maybe Coughlin?

Veteran
    I agree...I believe Cowher is at the top of their list and they will try to land him...in the meantime, they will look at others in the event that Cowher doesn't work out.....

[QUOTE=lisa329;2942936]ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]

Tuesday, December 30, 2008
    Sources: Cowher wants total control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who rejected a chance to become head coach of the Browns over the weekend, is not going to interview for the head coaching position of the New York Jets, according to multiple sources.

Cowher, according to a source, has been contacted by the Jets. Although he is interested in the Jets job, he told them he won't be a candidate because he would like to have the ability to bring in his own personnel person. Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to keep Mike Tannenbaum as his general manager after firing Eric Mangini as head coach Monday.

With Tannenbaum as the general manager, Cowher is willing to pass on the Jets opportunity, stay in broadcasting for another year and wait to come back to coaching in 2010.

Cowher has told friends the Jets job interested him for several reasons. First, Cowher would love to be coaching in the New York market. Second, two of his daughters are either going to school or working in the New York-New Jersey area.

Cowher does plan to coach in 2010. In 2009, though, he was only willing to return if every situation was right for him. He wanted to have a two-year break from coaching to be with family and recharge his energy.

Over the weekend, Cowher met with Browns owner Randy Lerner, who asked him what it would take financially for him to be the Browns head coach. Having a close relationship with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and still wanting more time with the family, Cowher didn't give Lerner a price and said no.

He recently extended his television contract for another season.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com[/QUOTE]

Promote Tanny to VP. This way Cowher can bring in who he wants and Tanny can still be Woody's security blanket. Cowher can then bring him who ever he wants to help eval talent.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;2943053]Benigno is going nuts on the FAN right now...:D[/QUOTE]

How could any Jet fan not be going nuts now???

You're going to let a Lawyer who was brought in as a cap guy stop you from getting Bill Cowher.Cowher wants the job and Woody says no because he wants to keep Tanny as GM? The guy who brought Mangini here and passed on Jay Cutler..This is just nuts...I cant believe this...:eek:

Veteran
    Tanny is already exec VP/GM...Guys this is not coming from him...I believe Woody has his mind set on Tanny in his current position. This is an owner that has a lot of PSL's to sell soon....I don't think a GM at this point is swaying his call on this and getting into a power argument with him.
    Last edited by Boomer7; 12-30-2008 at 11:49 AM.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2942997]How do you spell ESPN wrong?;)[/QUOTE]

The M and the N are too close together on the keyboard. I tried to get that changed, to no avail.

Woody is starting to get dangerous with some of his decisions... Made the wrong call firing Mangini and now is staying with Tannenbaum.

I have no clue why some of you people would blame Tannenbaum here because it is not his decision. This is all Woody.

Tannenbaum is good, but you just have to go with Cowher in this situation. Cowher clearly wants to coach the team.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=sect313;2942954]Mike T will not get another GM job anywhereso tell him to be the cap guy under Cowher or get the hell out of here[/QUOTE]

You're STONED.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;2943087]Promote Tanny to VP. This way Cowher can bring in who he wants and Tanny can still be Woody's security blanket. Cowher can then bring him who ever he wants to help eval talent.[/QUOTE]

That would never fly; Tanny does his best work with personnel. You can't table this guy!

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943154]Woody is starting to get dangerous with some of his decisions... Made the wrong call firing Mangini and now is staying with Tannenbaum.

I have no clue why some of you people would blame Tannenbaum here because it is not his decision. This is all Woody.

Tannenbaum is good, but you just have to go with Cowher in this situation. Cowher clearly wants to coach the team.[/QUOTE]

Geeze guys this is all posturing. Cowher does not want to make it look like there was a deal before Mangini was axed.

Cowher will be all to happy to have Tanny around...he probably just wants to make sure Tuna isn't around LOL.

He wants to make sure he gets the input he needs in the FO

The Jets still have to interview a token minority candidate because the league says so.

This drags out another 10 days and Cowher gets introduced as HC a couple of days before the Giants take the field next week.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.