Thread: The 4-3 Issue is a Non-Issue

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The 4-3 Issue is a Non-Issue

The 4-3 can easily be run with this team. The fact that Spags or any other coach would revert to a 4-3 is not at all an impediment.

DE Shaun Ellis
    DT Kris Jenkins
    DT C.J. Mosley (Yes, I know it's C.J. friggin' Mosley, but he has a great motor. I'm sure he'll be able to get penetration with Jenkins likely commanding a double team.)
    DE Vernon Gholston (He played this position in college...when he was actually good.)

OLB Calvin Pace (This might be an issue, but we're paying him too much money to dump him. We should just let him blitz a lot.)
    MLB David Harris
    OLB Eric Barton/Jason Trusnik/Free Agent/Draft Pick

Kenyon Coleman and Bryan Thomas need to be cut. As long as we fix the secondary, this should be a solid defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=zatchery;2943445]
    DT C.J. Mosley (Yes, I know it's C.J. friggin' Mosley, but he has a great motor. I'm sure he'll be able to get penetration with Jenkins likely commanding a double team.)
    DE Vernon Gholston (He played this position in college...when he was actually good.)[/quote]

What have either of these guys shown to be starters in 2009?

Mosley is a career backup, make no mistake about it, and Gholston might be able to handle it, but he's yet to show if he can handle playing in the NFL in general, nevermind as a starter.

[quote]OLB Calvin Pace (This might be an issue, but we're paying him too much money to dump him. We should just let him blitz a lot.)[/quote]

Never been successful in the 4-3 in his career, only became a player when moved to the 3-4.

[quote]MLB David Harris[/quote]

Completely unproven in the 4-3 in the NFL, and doesn't fit the sideline-to-sideline mold that you typically expect to see. He's probably more of an OLB in a 4-3.

[quote]OLB Eric Barton/Jason Trusnik/Free Agent/Draft Pick[/quote]

Barton's a Free Agent, Trusnik had one nice game.

Really, that defense is 4 players away from being decent a DT, a DE (Possibly Gholston), a OLB, and an OLB/MLB, meanwhile our highest paid defender (Or one of) in Pace doesn't fit it at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    this defense can be really good with an aggressive D-coord. someone that will actually gameplan and come up with blitzes that actually work