Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "THE JETS INTERNALLY THINK RATLIIF IS THEIR NEXT QB" via Francessa

"THE JETS INTERNALLY THINK RATLIIF IS THEIR NEXT QB" via Francessa

:eek:

Hall Of Fame
    So far so good with what we've seen... I'd love to see more!

Francesa didn't say it in a way that the Jets wouldn't even consider drafting one, he just said it to indicate that the Jets do like Ratliff and could go on with him in mind.

Hall Of Fame
    He did have a great preseason throwing to Wright and Clowney - but that was in garbage time of garbage games. Hopefully he'll be the next Cassell.

What's the inside word on Clemens?

All Pro
    Just heard that myself.

Interesting, considering how much everyone on here loves him, based on 2 pre-season games.

Hopefully the guy has been working hard.

All League
    Yes

If our next HC doesnt consider Ratliff and give him a chance IMO it will be a huge mistake. I really think he can be something special. I know he only played in preseason against 3rd stringers whatever but theres something there. Something Clemens didnt show in his playing time. They HAVE to give him a chance.

Get him a big target to make his job that much easier and let clowney develop as well to use his speed. The time is now while we still have solid Oline.

[QUOTE=Jetsound;2943472]He did have a great preseason throwing to Wright and Clowney - but that was in garbage time of garbage games. Hopefully he'll be the next Cassell.

What's the inside word on Clemens?[/QUOTE]

He said they like Ratliff more then Clemens. You guys got to keep in mind that they have seen Ratliff in practice a lot more then us and its not based solely on the preseason performance.

I believe the 2009 Jets need to allow an open competition between Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge.

Winner named by the start of the 2nd pre-season game.

I do not currently favor drafting a QB (tempting though it may be, this class seems to be a poor one from what experts I trust say).

And I do not favor signing some veteran journeyman from someplace else.

And I do not favor ANY return to the Jets by Brett Favre.

Play 2009 with the three we have, and draft as appropriate post-2009 if required.

not that this is the entire decision, but isn't ratliff much taller than clemens? i thought clemens had too many passes batted down at the LOS.

There were a couple reports saying that Clemens was actually looking better during the season in practices. Mangini even mentioned it during one of the press conferences.

There is a lot to like about Ratliff, and not only his performance in the preseason. he has perfect size, athleticism, real good arm, and a decent way about him. Looks very strong and athletic too.

I'd like to see more of Ratliff.

I hope they get a coach who is good with player development, because Ratliff clearly has all the tools - he just needs the right coaching staff to bring him along.

All League
    I think, at the very least, Clemens will be a more than serviceable backup QB.

Internally? Who would that be? Woody? Fatgini is gone. ****tenheimer will lose his job next. There is nobody left to think about our next QB.

Maybe Bradway:dunno:

Obviously we should be cautious on a quarterback whose only professional appearances were in preseason games, but I liked what I saw. I don't have faith that Clemens is our answer long-term, so I'd love to see what Ratliff has to offer - he looks like he has an upside at the very least.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2943490]I believe the 2009 Jets need to allow an open competition between Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge.

I do not currently favor drafting a QB (tempting though it may be, this class seems to be a poor one from what experts I trust say).

Play 2009 with the three we have, and draft as appropriate post-2009 if required.[/QUOTE]

I agree completley, however I saw ex-Giants coach Jim Fossel on ESPN and he thinks that signing a veteren QB would help, he doesn't think the core group of players would trust any of our young QB's, which brings up a good point, and he knows about loccer room chemisrty.

Hall Of Fame
    Kinda tough to take this statement with a straight face considering we don't know who the Head coach is, nor do we know whether the coordinators or even the GM will be retained at this point.

Way to go Francessa. Make a buzzworthy topic that's unverifiable.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2943490]I believe the 2009 Jets need to allow an open competition between Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge.

Play 2009 with the three we have, and draft as appropriate post-2009 if required.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you Warfish. I have not given up on Clemens and nor should the JETS. Open competition and the best QB wins..........No way in hell do I want Favre back

All League
    Another thing to consider is that both Clemens and Ratliff are pretty mobile. It was so excruciating to watch a wide open lane open up in front of Favre-- and instead of running for 15 yards--he'd just chuck it to nowheresville/other team.