Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "THE JETS INTERNALLY THINK RATLIIF IS THEIR NEXT QB" via Francessa

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2943497]I think, at the very least, Clemens will be a more than serviceable backup QB.[/QUOTE]

He played well enough as a rookie QB behind the worst OLINE in the NFL. He could very well be our next starter with a much improved running game and OLINE infront of him. I am not giving up on Clemens just yet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2943541]He played well enough as a rookie QB behind the worst OLINE in the NFL. He could very well be our next starter with a much improved running game and OLINE infront of him. I am not giving up on Clemens just yet.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I just prefer Ratliff at this point.

But I think they both have the skillset to be starters in this league. Question remains as to whether they realize that potential or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Ratliff, hopefully we found a "diamond in the rough".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2943556]I like Ratliff, hopefully we found a "diamond in the rough".[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that we really don't know enough about any QB on this roster except for Favre to make a definitive decision. The most we know of any of them is Clemens, and he was put in a situation that no QB would succeed in, so it's tough to make that evaluation. Personally, I thought Ratliff thoroughly outplayed Clemens in the preseason and if we were going by merit, he should have started off as the #1 backup this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;2943481]If our next HC doesnt consider Ratliff and give him a chance IMO it will be a huge mistake. I really think he can be something special. I know he only played in preseason against 3rd stringers whatever but theres something there. Something Clemens didnt show in his playing time. They HAVE to give him a chance.

Get him a big target to make his job that much easier and let clowney develop as well to use his speed. The time is now while we still have solid Oline.[/QUOTE]

dude, you need to get real. Ratliff and clemens havent shown anyone anything. You can consider them for the future but you dont make ANY decisions based on either of them, especially ratliff. Ratliff has done absolutelly nothing except tricking you hes the next tom brady with 2 meaningless preseason games against guys no longer in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;2943590]dude, you need to get real. Ratliff and clemens havent shown anyone anything. You can consider them for the future but you dont make ANY decisions based on either of them, especially ratliff. Ratliff has done absolutelly nothing except tricking you hes the next tom brady with 2 meaningless preseason games against guys no longer in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

That's not completely accurate. Obviously, everyone is overrating Ratliff and clowney right now, but when given the opportunity Ratliff has stepped up to the challenge. What he needs is more opportunities to show us whether he is a capable QB or not.

Do I think that stops us from going QB if we feel strongly about one? No. But Ratliff is still a viable candidate for the starting job with some upside.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only things I remember from Ratliff were the deep bombs to Clowney... I like his vision, but I'd like to see him up against a 1st or even 2nd string defense... Does anyone know how fast he runs? Is he mobile or just a pocket QB?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsound;2943472]
    What's the inside word on Clemens?[/QUOTE]

He blows.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The scouting report on Ratliff coming out of college was that he had prototypical height, mobility, and most importantly the arm strength to play in the NFL, but that he needed time on the bench to develop decision making, mechanics, and just gain some experience since he only started one full year in college.

The organization is higher on Ratliff because he has the arm strength to make every NFL throw.

I think Clemens absolutely gets a chance to compete, it would be ridiculous not to let him, but for some reason I like what Ive seen from Ratliff...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news

Watching Clemens get thrown around like a rag doll on the first series of the Pats game last year made it clear - he's not the "guy".

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetDevil74;2943611]The only things I remember from Ratliff were the deep bombs to Clowney... I like his vision, but I'd like to see him up against a 1st or even 2nd string defense... Does anyone know how fast he runs? Is he mobile or just a pocket QB?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I like Rat but all we've seen so far is him schooling 3rd stringers. Hopefully he is the real deal.

Kellen Clemens looked like a future HOF'er in 2007 playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers and then in the regular season he played actual NFL defenses and sh*t the bed. Hopefully Rat isn't another Kellen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ratliff has more than enough mobility.

He had a few 100yds+ rushing games in college.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is ONE thing that Ratliff displayed that is not jaded by the fact that he was playing 3rd stringers: pocket presence. He has an excellent pocket presence and that is something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't.

And by the way, I am also in the camp that thinks the QB position should be based on an open competition.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;2943728]There is ONE thing that Ratliff displayed that is not jaded by the fact that he was playing 3rd stringers: pocket presence. He has an excellent packet presence and that is something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't.

And by the way, I am also in the camp that thinks the QB position should be based on an open competition.[/QUOTE]

+1...he feels the pressure very well

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm done with Favre. It's time for us to move on and find out what we have in Clemens and Ratliff.

Clemens had some flashes of brilliance when he started (BAL game) but also looked bad. Then again, the O-Line was dreadful. I'd truly like to see a QB battle between Clemens and Ratliff and whoever emerges to be the starter. If Ratliff is pretty good, he'd beat our Clemens. If not, then we go with Kellen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;2943728]There is ONE thing that Ratliff displayed that is not jaded by the fact that he was playing 3rd stringers: pocket presence. He has an excellent pocket presence and that is something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't.

And by the way, I am also in the camp that thinks the QB position should be based on an open competition.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more....his pocket presence appears to be very solid.

Plus, if there is an open competition, based on their draft spots, Clemens will be the "favorite" which will give us a good look at Ratliff's competitiveness....

As a fan Id love to see us go with him....what worries me is that Im not sure id be willing to risk my job on it, and that is what Tannenbaum would in essence be doing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much of Favre's problem was play calling? Same with Clemens. Look at Pennington. He looks revived in Miami because they are actually putting him in a position to succeed. I think that has a lot more to do with our offense this year than anything. As has been said many times on this board no adjustments were made all season.

As for a team not trusting a young QB like Ratliff, Clemens or Ainge there are 2 rookie QBs in the playoffs this year. Are the Atlana and Baltimore players that much better at overlooking inexperience than the Jets?

The key to both of these questions is coaching. It is about coaches putting their players in the best position for them to succeed. Mangini and company played their game no matter what happened on the field. There never seemed to be any adjustments. Washington rips off a 40+ yard TD on his one carry, why would you ever give it to him again, right? Wildcat against Miami, real smart. Double reverse in a blizzard yeah that made a lot of sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;2943514]I agree completley, however I saw ex-Giants coach Jim Fossel on ESPN and he thinks that signing a veteren QB would help, he doesn't think the core group of players would trust any of our young QB's, which brings up a good point, and he knows about loccer room chemisrty.[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons I favor Fassel as our next coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=keeb;2943844]One of the reasons I favor Fassel as our next coach.[/QUOTE]
    Good choice. "FI-RE FAS-SEL!" Rolls off the tongue so easily... :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=avi31884;2943466]:eek:[/QUOTE]

Look w/cassel did this year... Calm it or get lost bc everyone loves Ratliff from w/ we have seen.