Thread: Media is piling on...

All League

Media is piling on...

I really hate this guy...

Mangini will beat Jets to a Super Bowl

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spwally1231,0,2633161.column[/url]

[QUOTE] Wallace Matthews
    1:52 PM EST, December 30, 2008

Eric Mangini has all the personality of an artichoke. Judging by his team's collapse over the past five weeks, he is blessed with the motivational skills of an undertaker. A people-person he's not; in his first week on the job, he succeeded in alienating Chad Pennington, one of the most easy-going professional athletes you'll ever meet.

He's not much of a strategist, either, or a risk-taker -- kick the field goal on fourth and 6 inches from the 2-yard line??!! -- and as a conversationalist, he's no Dick Cavett. Hell, the guy is so guarded he wouldn't even acknowledge that water is wet.

And as for his judgment, well, he named his first-born "Brett," when "Pick Six" would have been far more appropriate. And catchier.

And yet, for all his shortcomings, Mangini will get to a Super Bowl before the Jets will. As a head coach, no less.

There's plenty of history to support that contention, on both sides.

In Mangini's favor, I submit two pieces of evidence. Bill Belichick. And Tom Coughlin.

To the Jets disfavor, I need submit only one --1969.

Happy New Year, Jets fans! And many happy returns. Too many.

There would be nothing truly remarkable about Eric Mangini, 37 years old and a failure in his first head coaching job, paying some sort of penance as a defensive coordinator somewhere and re-emerging as an older, wiser and more successful head coach.

Especially considering that in the history of the Jets, today's scapegoat is often tomorrow's -- and someone else's -- hero. Ask Pennington.

After all, who was more finished than Belichick in 1999? After failing in Cleveland he suffered a very public, if off-stage, nervous breakdown on the morning he was to be officially named HC of the NYJ. He was 47 at the time and it looked as if the parade hadn't just passed him by, but trampled him.

Three Super Bowl rings later, the only time we talk about that day is when the NYJ are about to name a new HC, and only here in New York. In Foxborough, they could give a rat's tail about some stunt he pulled in a college auditorium on Long Island 10 years ago.

As for Coughlin, despite taking the Jacksonville Jaguars to the AFC title game in 1999, his winning personality -- not unlike Mangini's, only without the mirthless smile -- lost him that job three years later. At 56, the guy was radioactive in this league until the Giants reluctantly took a chance on him.

So why shouldn't Mangini, not quite Parcells-spawn but rather the spawn of his spawn, get a second chance? And improve on it?

The Jets, on the other hand, have had plenty of chances. By now, we all have a pretty good idea of what they do with them. In fact, what they have accomplished since Jan. 12, 1969 -- absolutely nothing -- is truly remarkable and unprecedented in a league that, like a good Little League coach, does everything possible to assure that each of its 32 teams will get a chance to play on Super Bowl Sunday.

Now, the tragic number is up to 40 years and counting. Fifty-four straight, the gold standard of failure established by the New York Rangers, seems very much in reach.

The Jets have repeatedly shown the uncanny ability not to rise to the level of people like Parcells and Brett Favre, but to drag them down to theirs. Assuming he wrings his required concessions out of the Jets, including the very necessary firing of GM Mike Tannenbaum, Bill Cowher could be next on the list of formerly successful coaches who find fixing the Jets to be the one assignment he can't handle.

Like Parcells and Belichick before him, Cowher will bust his prodigious jaw trying to chew through nearly a half-century of failure. That's the way it works around here. Great coaches become frustrated old men. Great quarterbacks become bums. Great promise ends in crushing disappointment.

But for Mangini, it could very well work in reverse. He gets out while the getting is good, while he still has a chance to salvage his NFL career, before the forces that have conspired to make the Jets a bottomless pit drag him down for all time.

Right now, Mangini escapes with only three years of failure on his resume, but the Jets record carries on, into its fifth decade. In the frantic race to the Super Bowl, anyone care to bet which one gets there first?
    [/QUOTE]

They are right... If Mangini just gets lucky with a QB, he'll win a super bowl.

All you want out of a head coach is the ability to win a super bowl and Mangini has it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943596]They are right... If Mangini just gets lucky with a QB, he'll win a super bowl.
    [B]
    All you want out of a head coach is the ability to win a super bowl and Mangini has it[/B].[/QUOTE]

More Mangini speculation from you. First, Haynesworth would come here if Mangini was still the HC. Now, he has the ability to win a Superbowl. Based on his sub .500 record, right? Take his c0ck out of your mouth already.

All League
    I remember reading this article three years ago, only it was about Herm Edwards. These "sports journalists" are a pack of *******s.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943612]More Mangini speculation from you. First, Haynesworth would come here if Mangini was still the HC. Now, he has the ability to win a Superbowl. Based on his sub .500 record, right? Take his c0ck out of your mouth already.[/QUOTE]

You don't know anything about football so you really shouldn't speak on it for a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mangini will be fine and jets will stll be the jets

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943629]You don't know anything about football so you really shouldn't speak on it for a while.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that Haynesworth had been franchised already so therefore I don't know anything about football. Makes a lot of sense. How do Mangini's balls taste? Like failure?

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943642]I didn't know that Haynesworth had been franchised already so therefore I don't know anything about football. Makes a lot of sense. How do Mangini's balls taste? Like failure?[/QUOTE]

For something that was covered in the news as much as it was, yes you should know. Reading is a good habit to take up.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2943647]For something that was covered in the news as much as it was, yes you should know. Reading is a good habit to take up.[/QUOTE]

I do other things in my life besides pay attention to football, least of all players on a team I don't support.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943663]I do other things in my life besides pay attention to football, least of all players on a team I don't support.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Normally I try not to respond to nonsense like this article and even if I do, I try to make a well thought out response that will not be thrown away (i.e. no "your an idiot", no cursing, or anything like that). I simply try to make the person see from my point of view.

Today, I could help myself. Obviously I expect no response, but I emailed the guy and asked him one simple question: "Is there a reason why you are kicking the fan base when they are already down or do you get paid to be a [RICHARD BRAIN]?"

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The Jets have a 40 year history of making the wrong moves. You could take a football organization, do the exact opposite of what the Jets do, and probably have a lot of success. As far as this piece, Mangini's got a long career ahead of him, while the Jets future doesn't look too bright. No franchise QB and an owner that only wants to sell PSL's.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;2943642]I didn't know that Haynesworth had been franchised already so therefore I don't know anything about football. Makes a lot of sense. How do Mangini's balls taste? Like failure?[/QUOTE]

Haynesworth hasn't been franchised. Whoever said that is dead wrong. In fact, he has a clause in his contract that said if he made the pro bowl this season he'd be an UFA and the Titans couldn't franchise him again at the end of the season.

Titans are trying to work on a contract now so he doesn't become a FA

He was franchised last year.

Practice Squad
    i swear we better not have to wait 86 years like the dead sox, ill be 65:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2943671]Haynesworth hasn't been franchised. Whoever said that is dead wrong. In fact, he has a clause in his contract that said if he made the pro bowl this season he'd be an UFA and the Titans couldn't franchise him again at the end of the season.

Titans are trying to work on a contract now so he doesn't become a FA

[B]He was franchised last year[/B].[/QUOTE]

That was the point of confusion. I never said he was franchised this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2943670]The Jets have a 40 year history of making the wrong moves. You could take a football organization, do the exact opposite of what the Jets do, and probably have a lot of success. As far as this piece, Mangini's got a long career ahead of him, while the Jets future doesn't look too bright. No franchise QB and an owner that only wants to sell PSL's.[/QUOTE]

In JETS defense, under LEON, it all stunk, he was ill for years and making poor decisions (RIP). WOODY is trying. But Eric showed no signs of a great HC. NONE. I would bet on the JETS before him. NO above average team will hire him. He may go to Cleveland, Detroit etc.... but he aint going to a SB anytime soon. He is a decent football guy, and should do well. ALL fired HC's fill that model though. We need to solidify the QB role. I agree Buzz..... but selling PSL's and winning are positively correlated. Woody will figure that out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Let me get this straight.. First the media, call for Manginis head and says we need to fire him... Now they are saying we will regret it and Mangini winn win a SB before us.?

The Gini will get his bf jets will. just like beli... sorry ... thats why i was so pissed yesterday.. I already know this... AS soon as i heard gini was fired that was the first thing that came to mind. Him Winnning the bigone w/another team. It's going to happen.

Mangini will take the Browns to the playoffs next year.

[QUOTE=david1023;2943917]Mangini will take the Browns to the playoffs next year.[/QUOTE]

Really?

You think the Jets are a mess... Maybe Brady Quinn is good, but their top receiver can't catch a cold, their top RB looked horrendous this year and they have no defensive talent.