Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spagnuola? Really?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;2943769]Oh OK. So what you are saying is that the NYGs scounting department is the reason the Giants have had the most dominating D Line in the NFL the past couple of seasons. Surely, the Jets scounting department is in the same league as the Giants. [/QUOTE]
    You hit it right on the head. And the Jets scouting department is nowhere close to that of the Giants. That's common knowledge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2943687]He puts the guys in the right position to make plays. Thats what a good coach does. Sutton that dumbass didn't do that.
    Besides don't you think that Spags might have something to do with the fact that suddenly the Giants have such a good defense with so many good players? You act like the defense makes him look so good. I think its the exact opposite. A guy like Cofield would be worthless in our defense. We have a guy like that (Mosley) but our dumbass coordinator has no clue how to make use of them. You could also compare Kiwanuka to Gholston. Rhodes could be a DPOY candidate if he played for the Ravens or the Giants. But on this team, with this idiot looking coordinator he'll never even get to the Pro Bowl. Spag knows how to utilize his players, he'll allow them to make plays. Mangini is the opposite with his 3-4 cancer bull****.[/QUOTE]

+++1

Won't even have to bother writing up a long reply...your post did it for me. I'll add that you shouldn't be surprised if Spags has no problem with running his schemes and blitzes from a 3-4 _ 4-3 hybrid. IMO...he's that good and flexible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RichardTodd27;2943970]Tuck (3rd), Uminyera (2nd) & Kiwanuka (1st) were all highly regarded coming out of college and had 1st round potential. The only reason J. Tuck slipped to the 3rd was because of an injury he suffered in his senior season. Otherwise the Nortre Dame all time sack leader would've been a sure fire 1st rounder.
    The thread starter makes a valid point. The Giants D-Line is stacked and could make any D.C look like a genius.
    I don't want another Romeo Crennel situation.[/QUOTE]

You guys have lost your mind. Find me another D Line in the history of the freakin league filled with pretty much stop gaps (3rd/4th rounders) that propel their team to Super Bowl champs!!

Look, 1st round potential is what gets coaches fired. If a team finds one guy in the 3rd/4th round that produces like he should have been a 1st rounder, that is typical. Having every single D lineman on your roster playing so far over their heads is another.

Yes Kiwanuka was a first rounder. (All be it #31). But he had potential bust all over him. Anyone here that claims Spags has not done a terrific job with the G Men and not deserving of a shot as the HC has lost all credibility with me. Period. You CANNOT win an argument with the stance that he has had superstars to work with. The Pats have all the top rated D lineman on their roster. Wilfork was projected the #1 overall pick prior to his final collegiate season. Seymour was a top 10 pick. Warren was rated a top ten pick. Justin Tuck was not. Sorry.

And comparing Spags to Crennel is ridiculous. Parcells knew Crennel was not HC material, that is why he was passed over in favor of Groh. Spags is a totally different type of coach.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RichardTodd27;2943982]You hit it right on the head. And the Jets scouting department is nowhere close to that of the Giants. That's common knowledge.[/QUOTE]

OK I'll bite, what do you mean?? Is Revis not the best corner in NY? Is Rhodes not the best Safety? Do the Giants had two ProBowl O-Lineman? Aside from Toomer and Smith, what WRs have the Giants drafted that are any good let alone better than Coles and Cotch? Please, stop embarrassing yourself.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im hoping spags is not the guy simply because hes a 4-3 guy.

Theres a bunch of 3-4 guys that should be ideal for our team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;2944066]OK I'll bite, what do you mean?? Is Revis not the best corner in NY? Is Rhodes not the best Safety? Do the Giants had two ProBowl O-Lineman? Aside from Toomer and Smith, what WRs have the Giants drafted that are any good let alone better than Coles and Cotch? Please, stop embarrassing yourself.[/QUOTE]
    Here's a little Football 101 for PCola.
    1. The Giants have the best O-line in the league (period). And yes 2 Pro-Bowlers in Snee and Ohara. If you think we have a better one, you're delusional.
    2. Coles & Cotch were Pre-Tannenbaum. And Plax helped the Giants win a S.B and was fantastic last year.
    3. Jets have a great corner in Revis. The Giants have to 2 good ones in Webster & Ross. Not sure who you give the edge too.
    Bottom line, Giants are more talented than the Jets. I'm not sure what makes you think our front office is in the same league as the Giants.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RichardTodd27;2944122]Here's a little Football 101 for PCola.
    1. The Giants have the best O-line in the league (period). And yes 2 Pro-Bowlers in Snee and Ohara. If you think we have a better one, you're delusional.
    2. Coles & Cotch were Pre-Tannenbaum. And Plax helped the Giants win a S.B and was fantastic last year.
    3. Jets have a great corner in Revis. The Giants have to 2 good ones in Webster & Ross. Not sure who you give the edge too.
    Bottom line, Giants are more talented than the Jets. I'm not sure what makes you think our front office is in the same league as the Giants.[/QUOTE]

Ross is an OK corner at best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RichardTodd27;2944122]Here's a little Football 101 for PCola.
    Bottom line, Giants are more talented than the Jets. I'm not sure what makes you think our front office is in the same league as the Giants.[/QUOTE]

First, the discussion was scouting departments.

Second, you were the one accepting the rationale that the D Line of the Giants was a direct reflection of the scouting department and not coaching.

Third, I was only claiming that the jets have a good scounting department evidenced by our late round gems in Washington, Rhodes, etc.

Fourth, Tanny is not new to this organization. He has been here since Bill came in 1997. When Bradway left, he did not take the entire scounting department with him. Tanny deserves a little credit.

Yes I would put our front office against any other in the league. We just have had the misfortune of not having the right coaches at the right time. And of course, we were not fortunate enough to suck (or suck enough) the years that the great QBs have been available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2943714]Harbaugh (Playoffs)
    Sparano (Playoffs)
    Smith (Playoffs)
    Zorn (close to making the playoffs)

Yup. Please don't pick up a rookie headcoach. It doesnt work out.[/QUOTE]

Mangini went to the playoffs his first year too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you don't understand. this is the jets we're talking about. imo, whoever they pick will need a boatload of crdibility right out of the box. that's why parcells was such a good choice after kotite. that's why cowher would be a good choice.

[QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2943714]Harbaugh (Playoffs)
    Sparano (Playoffs)
    Smith (Playoffs)
    Zorn (close to making the playoffs)

Yup. Please don't pick up a rookie headcoach. It doesnt work out.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2944211]you don't understand. this is the jets we're talking about. imo, whoever they pick will need a boatload of crdibility right out of the box. that's why parcells was such a good choice after kotite. that's why cowher would be a good choice.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that this is not an optimum place to get your feet wet in coaching. The fact that we have to deal with the Pats and Giants on a daily basis predicates the bastard step child treatment that we are all accustomed. I don't think eliminating a bright fiery type guy just for that reason is the diligent thing to do. Parcells name has come up. We have played this game before and it was like being left at the alter when he left. Do you really want a guy that is only going to be in it for a couple of seasons? Yes I would like Cowher because I think it would be a long term committment. To the point of giving him unlimited power? I am apprehensive. Marty, yeah I think I could like him coming on board. I would hope that he brings some defensive minded guys with him.

I think with this market, with our location, the weather and all the other variables that come into to play, we need to emphasize defense and a power running game, no matter who is here. Both Rex Ryan and Spags come from those type of teams. Same with Cowher. I do think Mangini should have made a change at DC after his first year. I also think he needed a vet guy on Offense to help out with experience during the bad times. That is what caused his demise in NY.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind trying something different. Maybe getting someone who's been a HC before. But if they got Spagnuolo I wouldn't be mad.