Thread: SI article: Jets dismal history

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SI article: Jets dismal history

[url]http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/for_the_record/posts/36303?eref=fromSI[/url]

[I]The way I figure it the deal went down in some backwater bar on the Lower East Side, or maybe Queens. Fall, 1968. In walks a red-faced guy. Whiskers. Too much black hat. What looks to be a tail coming out his behind.

Who does the red-faced guy find belly-up to the bar but Joe Willie himself. Sipping nothing but Coke of course. "I'll make you a deal," the red-faced guy says to Joe Willie, "your team can win the big one this year. Joy to the green-and-white world. Biggest game in NFL history. You can guarantee it, big guy. But then that's it. Then those Jets are mine."

We know how this story goes. It's been a good four decades since Super Bowl III and the Jets have been the same old Jets for, oh, about 39 years now. Do you think this season, the Jets losing four of five to slip from playoff shoo-in to home-for-the-New-Year's-holiday, is rough on their fans? This is nothing.

There was not a non-delusional Jets fan alive optimistic about the team's chances against Miami in Week 17. Need a win and need help to get in? Have to beat Chad Pennington, the guy the Jets gave up, with Brett Favre, the guy they resuscitated? No way. It would be un-Jetsian.

Jets fans after all have lived through Joe Walton and, have mercy, Rich Kotite. They've lived through 1-15 in 1996. And losing to the 0-14 Saints in 1980. They've seen a playoff game lost on a roughing penalty (against Mark Gastineau vs. the Browns in 1986). They've season a season slip away after the Dolphins' Dan Marino duped them with fake spike call in 1994.

They've lived through Brigitte Nielsen. They've endured Richard Todd's 30-interception season (1980) and Richard Todd's 30-interception afternoon (sure seemed that way) against Miami in the AFC title game. More recently and relevantly, they lived through the blown chance at the AFC championship game of 2004 and the firing of offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

The Jets were OK under Hackett in 2004. He had Pennington dinking and dunking his way down the field all season long. Jets went 10-6, upset the Chargers in the playoffs, had the 15-1 Steelers beat-flat out beat-at Heinz Field, but Doug Brien missed two game-winning field-goal tries in late in the fourth quarter.

Somewhere that red-face guy twirled his whiskers and laughed.

So the Jets got rid of Doug Brien (makes sense) and fired Paul Hackett (he resigned really, but under Nixonesque pressure), much to many Jets fans glee. They didn't like these short passes, swallowing up 10, 12 yards at a gulp. The Jets were in the bottom third of the NFL in passing in 2004, but really Pennington, if hardly great, was certainly acceptable-2,700+ yards in 13 games, 16 TDs and just nine picks, the second-best QB rating of his Jets career. All that despite a torn rotator cuff. You could say the much-despised Hackett did a lot with a little. You could say that if the Jets had had that kind of OK passing offense in 2008, they'd be sharpening their cleats for Sunday.

But the fans (and the Jets brass) wanted the long ball. So out went Hackett, in came Ex-Titan Mike Heimerdinger. Oh fraptuous day! The guy had good cred and a funny name. He lasted one lousy (we're talking Pennington-gets-injured, the team goes 4-12, lousy) season before the Jets brought in head coach Eric Mangini, who sent Heimerdinger packing. (Things are kind of going OK for ol' Heimerdinger; he's back in Tennessee.)

And that's that. Oh, there was a little bit of a Mangini bounce, a 10-6 season in 2006 before a playoff shellacking by the Patriots, but this millennium's Jets have never again been close to the threat they were in Heinz Field a few years ago.

No, they've been the same old Jets, Brett Favre coming off like a modern day Richard Todd. Mangini getting out-coached, the Jets putting him out of his misery this morning. Maybe things will be better for Jets fans in 2009; maybe Favre re-retires; maybe Kellen Clemens turns into Joe Willie; maybe the Jets remember to run the ball when they should run the ball; maybe . . . oh forget it.

Jets fans can only hope that red-faced guy, pitchfork tucked beneath his cape, might be willing to make a new deal.[/I]

So on the money it hurts. :steamin:

:(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tony Danza;2943775][url]http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/for_the_record/posts/36303?eref=fromSI[/url]

[I]The way I figure it the deal went down in some backwater bar on the Lower East Side, or maybe Queens. Fall, 1968. In walks a red-faced guy. Whiskers. Too much black hat. What looks to be a tail coming out his behind.

Who does the red-faced guy find belly-up to the bar but Joe Willie himself. Sipping nothing but Coke of course. "I'll make you a deal," the red-faced guy says to Joe Willie, "your team can win the big one this year. Joy to the green-and-white world. Biggest game in NFL history. You can guarantee it, big guy. But then that's it. Then those Jets are mine."

We know how this story goes. It's been a good four decades since Super Bowl III and the Jets have been the same old Jets for, oh, about 39 years now. Do you think this season, the Jets losing four of five to slip from playoff shoo-in to home-for-the-New-Year's-holiday, is rough on their fans? This is nothing.

There was not a non-delusional Jets fan alive optimistic about the team's chances against Miami in Week 17. Need a win and need help to get in? Have to beat Chad Pennington, the guy the Jets gave up, with Brett Favre, the guy they resuscitated? No way. It would be un-Jetsian.

Jets fans after all have lived through Joe Walton and, have mercy, Rich Kotite. They've lived through 1-15 in 1996. And losing to the 0-14 Saints in 1980. They've seen a playoff game lost on a roughing penalty (against Mark Gastineau vs. the Browns in 1986). They've season a season slip away after the Dolphins' Dan Marino duped them with fake spike call in 1994.

They've lived through Brigitte Nielsen. They've endured Richard Todd's 30-interception season (1980) and Richard Todd's 30-interception afternoon (sure seemed that way) against Miami in the AFC title game. More recently and relevantly, they lived through the blown chance at the AFC championship game of 2004 and the firing of offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

The Jets were OK under Hackett in 2004. He had Pennington dinking and dunking his way down the field all season long. Jets went 10-6, upset the Chargers in the playoffs, had the 15-1 Steelers beat-flat out beat-at Heinz Field, but Doug Brien missed two game-winning field-goal tries in late in the fourth quarter.

Somewhere that red-face guy twirled his whiskers and laughed.

So the Jets got rid of Doug Brien (makes sense) and fired Paul Hackett (he resigned really, but under Nixonesque pressure), much to many Jets fans glee. They didn't like these short passes, swallowing up 10, 12 yards at a gulp. The Jets were in the bottom third of the NFL in passing in 2004, but really Pennington, if hardly great, was certainly acceptable-2,700+ yards in 13 games, 16 TDs and just nine picks, the second-best QB rating of his Jets career. All that despite a torn rotator cuff. You could say the much-despised Hackett did a lot with a little. You could say that if the Jets had had that kind of OK passing offense in 2008, they'd be sharpening their cleats for Sunday.

But the fans (and the Jets brass) wanted the long ball. So out went Hackett, in came Ex-Titan Mike Heimerdinger. Oh fraptuous day! The guy had good cred and a funny name. He lasted one lousy (we're talking Pennington-gets-injured, the team goes 4-12, lousy) season before the Jets brought in head coach Eric Mangini, who sent Heimerdinger packing. (Things are kind of going OK for ol' Heimerdinger; he's back in Tennessee.)

And that's that. Oh, there was a little bit of a Mangini bounce, a 10-6 season in 2006 before a playoff shellacking by the Patriots, but this millennium's Jets have never again been close to the threat they were in Heinz Field a few years ago.

No, they've been the same old Jets, Brett Favre coming off like a modern day Richard Todd. Mangini getting out-coached, the Jets putting him out of his misery this morning. Maybe things will be better for Jets fans in 2009; maybe Favre re-retires; maybe Kellen Clemens turns into Joe Willie; maybe the Jets remember to run the ball when they should run the ball; maybe . . . oh forget it.

Jets fans can only hope that red-faced guy, pitchfork tucked beneath his cape, might be willing to make a new deal.[/I]

So on the money it hurts. :steamin:

:([/QUOTE]

Pretty good take on it all.

My only quibble is that he overrates the 2004 team that played in Pittsburgh.

Thx to Chad's rotator cuff injury, that team collapsed nearly as badly as this one. They had a string of bad performances down the stretch and backed into the playoffs.

Had Brien made either of those kicks, we would have been shut out the next week by New England. Chad could not throw it at all in his condition, and might not have even played at all. His backup, Quincy Carter, was in the midst of a drug relapse, so it would have Brooks Bollinger (!!!!!) against the Pats in the AFC Championship game. Wheeeeeeee!

I do not look back at 2004 in the same light as I do this year or 1994 or 2000. That team was done in by Pennington's rotator cuff injury. They won a miraculous victory over a good SD team and then played their hearts out against Pittsburgh.

Their demise was more about circumstances than a choke job, imo.