Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Richardson Drops Secretary Bid Amid "Pay to Play" Investigation

Hall Of Fame

Bill Richardson Drops Secretary Bid Amid "Pay to Play" Investigation

"Who vetted this guy?"
    "Change we can believe in?"

Bill Richardson Drops Secretary Bid
    By NEDRA PICKLER, AP
    (Jan. 4) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on Sunday announced that he was withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation into how some of his political donors won a lucrative state contract.

Richardson's withdrawal was the first disruption of Obama's Cabinet process and the second "pay-to-play" investigation that has touched Obama's transition to the presidency. The president-elect has remained above the fray in both the case of arrested Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and the New Mexico case.

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico transportation contract worth more than $1 million. Richardson said in a statement issued by the Obama transition office that the investigation could take weeks or months but expressed confidence it will show he and his administration acted properly.

"I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process," Richardson said. "Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the president-elect and his administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done."
    Richardson said he will remain as governor and told Obama, "I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful."
    The announcement came ahead of Obama's Monday meetings with congressional leaders on a massive economic recovery bill he wants lawmakers to pass quickly.

Obama said he has accepted Richardson's withdrawal, first reported by NBC News, "with deep regret."

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said. "It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time. Although we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision, I look forward to his future service to our country and in my administration."
    A person familiar with the proceedings has told The Associated Press that the grand jury is looking into possible "pay-to-play" dealings between CDR Financial Products and someone in a position to push the contract through with the state of New Mexico.
    State documents show CDR was paid a total of $1.48 million in 2004 and 2005 for its work on a transportation program.
    Richardson ran against Obama in the Democratic presidential primary, but withdrew after a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary.

He is one of the most prominent Hispanics in the Democratic Party, having served in Congress and as President Clinton's ambassador to the United Nations and energy secretary. As governor, he has kept up an international profile with a specialty in dealing with rouge nations. Obama also considered him to be secretary of state.
    CDR and its CEO, David Rubin, have contributed at least $110,000 to three political committees formed by Richardson, according to an AP review of campaign finance records.
    The largest donation, $75,000, was made by CDR in June 2004 a couple of months after the transportation financing arrangement won state approval to a political committee that Richardson established before the Democratic National Convention that year.
    In the Illinois case, Blagojevich is accused of trying to sell the Senate seat that Obama gave up to become president. Obama and two of his top aides have been interviewed by the U.S. attorney's office pursuing the case but have denied any knowledge of such a scheme and have not been accused by prosecutors of any wrongdoing.

[url]http://news.aol.com/article/bill-richardson-drops-secretary-bid/292771?icid=200100397x1216030034x1201054526[/url]

he was extremely obese as well...how can you bring your A game to a cabinet position when you're so out of shape?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2954013]he was extremely obese as well...how can you bring your A game to a cabinet position when you're so out of shape?[/QUOTE]

Guess he doesn't "work out" like Obama. Right, Dean?:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2953983]
    "Change we can believe in?"

[/QUOTE]

Apparently the change is coming must faster than we were promised.

:yes::rolleyes:

i have no opinion on this at the present time.

:sleepin:

Veteran
    what a surprise. he wil be the first of many, especially those from the clinton clan

I can't imagine any company giving money to a candidate who wants to do business with either them or their state. Crazy. I bet this is a first.

[QUOTE=cr726;2954557]I can't imagine any company giving money to a candidate who wants to do business with either them or their state. Crazy. I bet this is a first.[/QUOTE]

I think every statement you have ever made in this forum has been some blatantly partisan bull**** about how the crats can do no wrong and the pubs are all that is evil... please for all our sakes... put down the blue cool aid and form a real opinion

Every one? Interesting. I guess I should be blowing Ron Paul and b1tchin about the Fed Reserve. Then you would like me, right?

[QUOTE=jefethegreat;2954570]I think every statement you have ever made in this forum has been some blatantly partisan bull**** about how the crats can do no wrong and the pubs are all that is evil... please for all our sakes... put down the blue cool aid and form a real opinion[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2954579]Every one? Interesting. [B]I guess I should be blowing Ron Paul and b1tchin about the Fed Reserve.[/B] Then you would like me, right?[/QUOTE]

That be some quality multi-tasking :D

[QUOTE=cr726;2954579]Every one? Interesting. I guess I should be blowing Ron Paul and b1tchin about the Fed Reserve. Then you would like me, right?[/QUOTE]

CR, Obama must be very careful of the choices he makes, if not he will be hogtied before taking office.

Peace Out!

Can you name the Sec. of Commerce right now? I agree Obama has to be careful, but except for a few appointments the rest are BS or he doesn't actually make the decision of whom to appoint.

If Richardson is cleared then what? Will a thread be started? Um, no.

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2954593]CR, Obama must be very careful of the choices he makes, if not he will be hogtied before taking office.

Peace Out![/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;2954660]Can you name the Sec. of Commerce right now? I agree Obama has to be careful, but except for a few appointments the rest are BS or he doesn't actually make the decision of whom to appoint.

If Richardson is cleared then what? Will a thread be started? Um, no.[/QUOTE]

But someone didn't properly "vet" him. That is the point here. I mean how many threads about McCain not properly "vetting" Palin were started this summer? The point of those threads was that it reflected poorly on McCain. So if it reflected poorly on McCain, why does this not reflect on Obama? Is your defense that this is a "BS" appointment? Well, that response is a partisan "BS". Happy New Year, BTW.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2954947]But someone didn't properly "vet" him. That is the point here. I mean how many threads about McCain not properly "vetting" Palin were started this summer? The point of those threads was that it reflected poorly on McCain. So if it reflected poorly on McCain, why does this not reflect on Obama? Is your defense that this is a "BS" appointment? Well, that response is a partisan "BS". Happy New Year, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Oh...that's right. NOW vetting matters. Two months ago it didn't. But now it does.

Stupid Obama! What was he thinking?!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2954977]Oh...that's right. NOW vetting matters. Two months ago it didn't. But now it does.

Stupid Obama! What was he thinking?![/QUOTE]One can also say "Vetting doesn't matter now, but it sure did 2 months ago". That is basicly what you are saying, isn't it? Now that is hypocritical. All you guys who bashed McCain for his lack of "vetting" should be doing the same now.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2954983]One can also say "Vetting doesn't matter now, but it sure did 2 months ago". That is basicly what you are saying, isn't it? Now that is hypocritical. All you guys who bashed McCain for his lack of "vetting" should be doing the same now.[/QUOTE]

I never "bashed" McCain for not vetting Palin. I bashed him for picking an
    idiot who sounded like a female Bush who could have been an extra on the set of "Fargo". I also bashed McCain for not picking who HE wanted for VP...instead caving to the machinery of the Republican Party and going along with who they selected in the hope of garnering votes based on focus group results.

As far as Richardson goes...I don;t care who Secy. of Commerce is. In fact, I don't really care what Obama does for the next 3 years. I'm not a card carrying member of his cult of personality...I just voted for him because I wanted to see a**hole Republicans get d*ckslapped. Suck on that, you Terry Schiavo, Anti-Science, Man-on-dog-sex, Freedom Fries, Stay the Course ball bags. Go sit down for a while and try to remember that being an American means caring more about Americans then freaking Iraqizoids.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2954989]I never "bashed" McCain for not vetting Palin. I bashed him for picking an
    idiot who sounded like a female Bush who could have been an extra on the set of "Fargo". I also bashed McCain for not picking who HE wanted for VP...instead caving to the machinery of the Republican Party and going along with who they selected in the hope of garnering votes based on focus group results.

As far as Richardson goes...I don;t care who Secy. of Commerce is. In fact, I don't really care what Obama does for the next 3 years. I'm not a card carrying member of his cult of personality...I just voted for him because I wanted to see a**hole Republicans get d*ckslapped. Suck on that, you Terry Schiavo, Anti-Science, Man-on-dog-sex, Freedom Fries, Stay the Course ball bags. Go sit down for a while and try to remember that being an American means caring more about Americans then freaking Iraqizoids.[/QUOTE]
    No surprise here, PK so [I]eloquently[/I] gives the Messiah a free pass. "I don't care", "I don't care", "I don't care"- just keep on practicing saying that. Should come in real handy over the next four years.:rolleyes:

BTW I think there are rules against getting by the profanity filter. But you probably will say "I don't care".

recall back when Obama made this nomination, many said that Richardson deserved a more high profile position than Commerce

apparently not

im not going to say good job to Obama team for nominating a suspected crook but I will say good job in not giving him Sec State or something else.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2954994]No surprise here, PK so [I]eloquently[/I] gives the Messiah a free pass. "I don't care", "I don't care", "I don't care"- just keep on practicing saying that. Should come in real handy over the next four years.:rolleyes:

BTW I think there are rules against getting by the profanity filter. But you probably will say "I don't care".[/QUOTE]

I really don't care. Really. I didn't vote for Obama. I voted against the Republicans. Plain and simple. He isn't my Messiah. He isn't my hero. He is the guy that ran for president that isn't a Republican. I would have voted for a wooden post and an dirty dishrag before I cast a vote for an ******* Republican.

So...although it may be hard for partisan locksteppers like yourself to understand, I voted the way I voted and feel the way I do...not the way a particular party platform tells me to feel.