Thread: 2009 NBA Draft Talk

2009 NBA Draft Talk

Well, the Knicks are 13-20 and have the 10th worst winning% in the league right now.

I think without a doubt, we're going to look for BPA. Our two biggest needs are PG for the future and a defensive big man.

Now to be honest with you guys, I haven't watched much college basketball this year but the conference games just started a few weeks ago so I'll definitely be getting into that college basketball mood.

Some guys who I'll be looking out for.

James Harden, sg, Arizona State
    Blake Griffin, pf, Oklahoma
    Hasheem Thabeet, c, UConn
    Chase Budinger, sg/sf, Arizona
    Johnny Flynn, pg, Syracuse
    Stephen Curry, pg/sg, Davidson
    Darren Collison, pg, UCLA

Unfortuantly I dont think they have a 1st round pick this year due to the marbury trade.... please correct me if im wrong......

Edit: Here is what I found....

• New York owes a protected 1st round draft pick to Utah, due before 2010 (top 24 protected in 2007, top 23 protected in 2008, top 22 protected in 2009) [via Phoenix.]
    • Chicago receives New York's 2009 second round draft pick. Eddy Curry trade.
    • Portland receives New York's 2008 second round pick, in exchange for rights to Demetris Nichols
    Last edited by GeorgeJetson80; 01-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    Unfortuantly I dont think they have a 1st round pick this year due to the marbury trade.... please correct me if im wrong......

New York owes a protected 1st round draft pick to Utah, due before 2010 (top 24 protected in 2007, top 23 protected in 2008, top 22 protected in 2009) [via Phoenix.]
    Chicago receives New York's 2009 second round draft pick. Eddy Curry trade.
    Portland receives New York's 2008 second round pick, in exchange for rights to Demetris Nichols

2010 we don't have our first. But hopefully, we'll have our core set with Curry and Jeffries somewhere else and off the books.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post

New York owes a protected 1st round draft pick to Utah, due before 2010 (top 24 protected in 2007, top 23 protected in 2008, top 22 protected in 2009) [via Phoenix.]
    Chicago receives New York's 2009 second round draft pick. Eddy Curry trade.
    Portland receives New York's 2008 second round pick, in exchange for rights to Demetris Nichols
    lol. Isiah Thomas and Eddie Curry. The gift that keeps on giving.

Banned
    If the Bulls miss the playoffs again David Stern just give them a top 3 pick again while the Knicks end up at #11 or 12 and get another bust.

All Pro
    Ricky Rubio

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Well, the Knicks are 13-20 and have the 10th worst winning% in the league right now.

I think without a doubt, we're going to look for BPA. Our two biggest needs are PG for the future and a defensive big man.

Now to be honest with you guys, I haven't watched much college basketball this year but the conference games just started a few weeks ago so I'll definitely be getting into that college basketball mood.

Some guys who I'll be looking out for.

James Harden, sg, Arizona State
    Blake Griffin, pf, Oklahoma
    Hasheem Thabeet, c, UConn
    Chase Budinger, sg/sf, Arizona
    Johnny Flynn, pg, Syracuse
    Stephen Curry, pg/sg, Davidson
    Darren Collison, pg, UCLA
    as of right now Harden, Griffin and Thabeet are projected top 5 picks, so unless you are in the Top 5 it will be tough to land one of them...although their status could change..

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Ricky Rubio
    I haven't heard much about him or Jennings since the hype of the beginning of the NBA season.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I haven't heard much about him or Jennings since the hype of the beginning of the NBA season.
    Rubio is not expected to come over and Jennings is languishing unhappily in, I beleive, Greece. He apparently never gets paid on time and the older players get all the PT.

Any shot blocking big men available? I don't care if they can't throw the ball in the ocean.

Knicks need a big man in the middle to block shots.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Any shot blocking big men available? I don't care if they can't throw the ball in the ocean.

Cole Aldrich from Kansas is a damn good player

Hasheem Thabeet, but he'll be gone top 3

Banned

Unfortunately those are hard to come by which is why I wanted the Knicks to draft Brook Lopez last summer. He's a good low post defender and shot blocker - even has some offensive game. Either him or Eric Gordon would have been a home run.

If the Knicks tank the rest of the season they might have a shot at drafting Blake Griffin - which would be totally awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Unfortunately those are hard to come by which is why I wanted the Knicks to draft Brook Lopez last summer. He's a good low post defender and shot blocker - even has some offensive game. Either him or Eric Gordon would have been a home run.

If the Knicks tank the rest of the season they might have a shot at drafting Blake Griffin - which would be totally awesome.
    Awesome is right, but even with this bad losing streak, I don't see them tanking. D'Antoni will most likely keep them competitive and they'll string together some wins. Not that they'll make the playoffs, but I bet they'll be in contention for the 8th seed once we start nearing the end of the regular season.

I haven't watched much college BB but with the earlier mention of Cole Aldrich, Thabeet and Blake Griffin that's 3 guys that sound like the low post help the Knicks need, although Griffin sounds like more of a PF.

What little I've seen I want Thabeet!!!! He's exactly what the Knicks need and Donnie needs to do whatever possible to move up, if needed, to get him

Banned
    I haven't watched much college BB but with the earlier mention of Cole Aldrich, Thabeet and Blake Griffin that's 3 guys that sound like the low post help the Knicks need, although Griffin sounds like more of a PF.

What little I've seen I want Thabeet!!!! He's exactly what the Knicks need and Donnie needs to do whatever possible to move up, if needed, to get him
    Donnie could package our pick with David Lee to move up in the draft to get Thabeet or Blake Griffin. Either that or David Stern could stop kissing the Bulls ass for one year and give the Knicks a top 3 pick for once.

Donnie could package our pick with David Lee to move up in the draft to get Thabeet or Blake Griffin. Either that or David Stern could stop kissing the Bulls ass for one year and give the Knicks a top 3 pick for once.
    Yeah, Stern really has something to do with it

Agreee with Blake and Thabeet. Although they are entirely different players. Blake is more like a more agile/bulkier amare/bosh. While thabeet is a super agile mutumbo. And blake is clearly more polished offensively.

I think guys that people need to keep an eye on are Terrence williams from Louisville. Kid is a freak athlete but just shooting horrible shot %%. But I honestly see so much of Gerald Wallace in him. I think 2-3 years of being that super freak athlete just running the court will be enough time for him to decelop his O game and be a very good player.

And Blake Griffins brother tyson at times seems more athletic than his brother. Id keep an eye on him

Updates for myself regarding the draft.

Blake griffin is the clear cut #1. Watched the texas/oklahoma game yesterday and when Griffin went out with the concussion, oklahoma had to come back from a double digit deficit which they ultimately took the lead but AJ abrams took the game over from the perimeter at the end.

dejuan blair and sam young: I'm not sure where dejuan blair would go if he declared for the draft but you can't help but be astonished by what he does. He's 6'7" at best but he's stronger then anyone in college basketball and just imposes his will. I dont know who to compare him to but he is such a great rebounder and finishes strong. Sam young, I really like his game. he's the prototypical NBA SF build. 6'6, 220 with some wirey strength. He defends, he can shoot the 3 and can cut to the basket, definitely a first round grade.

marquette boys: where do I begin. Jerel McNeal, lazar hayward and my personal favorite Wesley Matthews all will be drafted. hawyward probably will go back considering it will be "his" team next year. Wesley Matthews, I can see fitting like a GLOVE in D'ANtoni's system. he's projected to be a 2nd round pick and this a guy I would keep my eyes on. great great shooter, clutch shooter, extremeley and a solid defender.

dante cunnginham is a player. he is undersized but he fits in the mold of the chuck hayes, david lee, paul milsap, jason maxiell, carl landry type player. Very athletic, he's aggressive, he's strong, he rebounds, he defends and he has developed a very good 15 foot jumpshot. He's definitely going to be drafted somewhere in the 2nd round.

uconn guys. Thabeet was terrible against pitt. Blair dominated him, just overpowered him this week.but he's still probably a top 3-5 pick.