Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Circuit City... (WEBSITE IS NO MORE, ONLY HAS CLOSING INFO)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2973700]Newmark & Lewis was bougt by Bernie's, and they became "Bernie's Newmark & Lewis" for a couple of years. Then they lost the Newmark & Lewis moniker and were just "Bernie's".

They have closed a lot of stores, but they still have some stores in CT, RI, and MA.

They are not long for this Earth.[/QUOTE]

They recently opened up a big store in Brookfield, CT.

Nice layout.

I didn't know the link to Newmark & Lewis.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    [QUOTE=oh well okay;2973717]you should just buy your stuff online - cheaper, better selection.[/QUOTE]

Online doesn't have 36 months no interest. Why pay up front when you can use their money for 3 years?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BleedinGreenNC;2973629]I worked at both Best Buy and Circuit City, and Best buy was head and shoulders above CC. You could walk to each one and feel the difference, knew this was coming.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, A walk into a circuit city store is like a walk into the 80's. The ones I've been to felt dark and cramped.

Speaking of outdated, how is Radio Shack still in business?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2973661]Wow, Newmark & Lewis. That's been long gone.

PC Richard's is still around.[/QUOTE]

What about Crazy Eddies, Two Guys and JGE? They still selling stuff?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2973711]Speaking of out of business retailers....

Do you guys remember "Two Guys"?

When I was a kid growing up in northern NJ, we did all our back-to-school shopping at "Two Guys".[/QUOTE]

LOL, my Little League team was sponsered by Two Guys. :D

Do you still have to pay off a Circuit City credit card if the company goes under?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Mountain Man Jet Fan;2973811]Do you still have to pay off a Circuit City credit card if the company goes under?[/QUOTE]

Yep, someone will buy their accounts.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2973711]Speaking of out of business retailers....

Do you guys remember "Two Guys"?

When I was a kid growing up in northern NJ, we did all our back-to-school shopping at "Two Guys".[/QUOTE]

I remember Two Guys and EJ Korvettes.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2973654]That's too bad, I liked CC and I had one right near my house, but I suspected this was coming down because I walked into CC just last week looking for a new TV and noticed a number of items were either scarce or no longer in stock, like they weren't re-stocking their items, which made me suspect they were going out of business .. and because their selection was so thin I just split and went to checkout best buy[/QUOTE]

VERY OBSERVANT

Banned
    Speaking of electronics...anyone know a good, reliable external hard drive for around or under 100 bucks for putting music/movies on?

All League
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;2973745]Online doesn't have 36 months no interest. Why pay up front when you can use their money for 3 years?[/QUOTE]

Yup and if you print out the price from online, normally they will match it. just bought my TV last week from BestBuy with the 36 months.

I used to be a salesman at PC Richard before I was transferred to their service center to do computer repairs.

As a salesman, you have 0 idea how hard it is to be a commission draw salesman. It's really a difficult way to make a living. You could put 60-80 a week standing in the store only to bag $300 after taxes. No such thing as hourly pay. That's how and why PC Richards is still in business for 100 years.

And as for the extended warranties, yes, even PC trains their salesmen to never take no for an answer. But dollar for dollar PCR has the best service contracts and technicians of all the current retailers.

And you know PCR is very happy with knowing they just buried another competitor since the disappearnce of 'The Wiz'.

Plus Circuit city sucks balls anyway.

Circuit City is closing?
    But I just purchased the top-of-the-line Circuit City warranty on my HDTV... :bigcry:

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2973628]I remember working at the local Circuit City store for a summer when I was in college. That was back when the salespeople were still on commission. What a bunch of cutthroats those guys were.

I've been a loyal Best Buy customer ever since.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and they went off commission and look at what happened to them.

Loyal Best Buy customer? Because have such tremendous customer service, right?

Veteran
    Whoa; my kids have a $50 store credit for a video game they returned recently. I'd better make sure they use it so they don't lose it!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    [QUOTE=beemer;2973891]Whoa; my kids have a $50 store credit for a video game they returned recently. I'd better make sure they use it so they don't lose it![/QUOTE]

That's right!!!!

And those with Circuit City Charge accounts and Warranties, I'm sure they are thru 3rd parties so you won't have a problem. (The ccard is definitely thru a 3rd party, so just keep on payin!)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;2973897]That's right!!!!

And those with Circuit City Charge accounts and Warranties, I'm sure they are thru 3rd parties so you won't have a problem. (The ccard is definitely thru a 3rd party, so just keep on payin!)[/QUOTE]

That's actually a question I have regarding automobile warranties. One of the few things keeping me from buying an Escalade for $7,300 under Invoice is the fear that a GM bankruptcy might (depending on whether it's Chapter 11 or 7) might scrap the warranty liability for GM. Any bankruptcy experts here?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;2973847]Circuit City is closing?
    But I just purchased the top-of-the-line Circuit City warranty on my HDTV... :bigcry:[/QUOTE]

I read the letter from the Circuit City website and they said that the company they do the warranty with is an independent company and shouldn't affect your ability to have your product serviced.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mountain Man Jet Fan;2973811]Do you still have to pay off a Circuit City credit card if the company goes under?[/QUOTE]

That is a damn good question!!

[QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;2973847]Circuit City is closing?
    But I just purchased the top-of-the-line Circuit City warranty on my HDTV... :bigcry:[/QUOTE]

You should be OK.

Those are typically underwritten by a third party, an insurance company.

As I recall, Circuit City did have it's own insurance subsidiary at one point. It was a huge profit center. But it was a seperate legal entity. Even if CC is done, the insurance company will survive.

Rest assured, bankruptcy laws are much different for retailers than they are for insurance companies (even if they are subs of a retailer).

If you bought a warranty I can tell you with 99% certainty that it will be honored should something go wrong with your HDTV, which likely won't happen anyway.

You're covered.
    Last edited by Roger Vick; 01-16-2009 at 05:25 PM.