Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Circuit City... (WEBSITE IS NO MORE, ONLY HAS CLOSING INFO)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;2973847]Circuit City is closing?
    But I just purchased the top-of-the-line Circuit City warranty on my HDTV... :bigcry:[/QUOTE]

Each company that offers those extended service plans are backed by and insurance company, im sure that you will ok, you just need the contact info for that insurance company.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I work in collections and manage a portfolio of what is called Private Label Credit Cards. In this portfolio I have Circuit city credit card accounts that are financed by a company called ADS and by Household Finance.

Most if not all Stores that have a credit card use a 3rd party finance company to manage their cards.

Most are handled by ADS and Household finance.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I once ask the guy at CC what the "XBR" meant on a Sony TV.

"Thats just the model number"

Gee, thanks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    my company is one of their largest suppliers - we are the largest electronic parts dist in US. Circuit City went into chpt 11 to break leases and get out of debt - stupid calls over the last few years mounted. This plus the downturn in the econonmy was the nail in their coffin. They sent me 2 checks last week - one for 300k, and one for 700k as deposits to continue shipping parts to them. Our exposure and end of day was 54k in our favor due to credits owed.

Rumor is that some welathy Mexican business men want to buythe company and close some stores and go forward.

CC also operated in Canada under the Intertan name.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2973711]Speaking of out of business retailers....

Do you guys remember "Two Guys"?

When I was a kid growing up in northern NJ, we did all our back-to-school shopping at "Two Guys".[/QUOTE]

there was one on rt 22 in union

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of their Canadian stores will remain open.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;2974377]there was one on rt 22 in union[/QUOTE]

Route 22, ahhh I miss living up in Jersey :(

....Except for the cold part. Can't complain about 80 degree weather 90% of the year down here in So Fla :cool: (although it is currently a bit frigid at 47 degrees right now).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MACPAC;2974382]All of their Canadian stores will remain open.[/QUOTE]

LOL @ your avatar! Classic!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;2974465]Route 22, ahhh I miss living up in Jersey :(

....Except for the cold part. Can't complain about 80 degree weather 90% of the year down here in So Fla :cool: (although it is currently a bit frigid at 47 degrees right now).[/QUOTE]

Route 22 makes you miss Jersey? That road is miserable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/100_881673562.jpg[/IMG]

[B][SIZE=4]Nobody beats the [/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE=4]Whiz..:yes:[/SIZE][/B]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mountain Man Jet Fan;2973811]Do you still have to pay off a Circuit City credit card if the company goes under?[/QUOTE]

The Credit Cards, may say Circuit City, but if I remember correctly, they are backed by Wells Fargo.

So the Credit Cards have to be paid off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Proof that if you run a business badly....

[QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;2973617][url]http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343[/url]

This sucks because that was the closest mega electronics store near me. The next closest one (Best Buy) is 30 miles away!!! Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

CC has always been one of the worst run "killer cat- stores" , Go online or better yet visit FRY's. I went to CC two weeks before there Chap 11 tried to make a deal on a 61" and got cold shouldered- Told them " better figure how to deal or you will be totally gone in month's- they didn't even try like other similar stores. After they filed they raised their prices!!!!!! Stupid- you need cash not inventory. Finally bought my 61" for $400 less (delivered) from Amazon- great picture ,etc... Can't wait for Championship Sunday! and SB!:(

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Sucka!

[QUOTE=Gator Jet;2974313]my company is one of their largest suppliers - we are the largest electronic parts dist in US. Circuit City went into chpt 11 to break leases and get out of debt - stupid calls over the last few years mounted. This plus the downturn in the econonmy was the nail in their coffin. They sent me 2 checks last week - one for 300k, and one for 700k as deposits to continue shipping parts to them. Our exposure and end of day was 54k in our favor due to credits owed.

Rumor is that some welathy Mexican business men want to buythe company and close some stores and go forward.

CC also operated in Canada under the Intertan name.[/QUOTE]

Now the trustee will come after you for preference!:eek::eek::eek:
    PM me if you want to understand more!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

And how many of those insurances ......

[QUOTE=BleedinGreenNC;2973932]Each company that offers those extended service plans are backed by and insurance company, im sure that you will ok, you just need the contact info for that insurance company.[/QUOTE]

were backed by AIG!!!!!:P:P:P

NEVER BUY A SERVICE PLAN- unless directly from the MFG! (waste of money):steamin::steamin::steamin:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetliner;2974950]CC has always been one of the worst run "killer cat- stores" , Go online or better yet visit FRY's. I went to CC two weeks before there Chap 11 tried to make a deal on a 61" and got cold shouldered- Told them " better figure how to deal or you will be totally gone in month's- they didn't even try like other similar stores. After they filed they raised their prices!!!!!! Stupid- you need cash not inventory. Finally bought my 61" for $400 less (delivered) from Amazon- great picture ,etc... Can't wait for Championship Sunday! and SB!:([/QUOTE]

Insider tip for you here:

The reason why these companies are going out of business is because they CANNOT negotiate price. By negotiating prices, that affects the companies earnings which impacts their stock performance.

PC Richard has been in this business for 100 simply because they 1) ALWAYS negotiate, 2) Are regional, not a national chain like these stores and 3) Not a public traded company, a true family run business.

So next time you goto a Best Buy or Walmart, TRY to negotiate a price. Once you find they won't budge (forget that match competitors ad crap), you'll see PCR take you in as family and save you a few bucks as well.

PCR was one of the best companies I had ever worked for. Their entire operation is well run and they really do take care of their own people.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then move out of the sticks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from the one here on the Island.

CC blows, they have absolutely NOTHING good in stock. Picked up Binaural for $6 tho!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SBIII;2975157]Just got back from the one here on the Island.

CC blows, they have absolutely NOTHING good in stock. Picked up Binaural for $6 tho![/QUOTE]

I just got back from the one here in Tucson near my house. Nothing great on sale and no great sales, either. They're offering 10% off anything not currently on sale and the most I saw was 30% off a bunch of junk. If you're looking for a great deal, I'd recommend holding off for a couple of weeks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2974564]LOL @ your avatar! Classic![/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the Jets 2008 season.

Rough landing, but at least no one was hurt :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MACPAC;2975461]Reminds me of the Jets 2008 season.

Rough landing, but at least no one was hurt :D[/QUOTE]

I guess you can say that about the Pats too. Oh, then there was Brady!