Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Kaka leaves Milan, it will be the death of football...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

If Kaka leaves Milan, it will be the death of football...

According to this guy:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/145/g...otball-is-dead
    1/17/2009 8:43 AM
    If Kaka Moves To Manchester City, Football Is Dead

Kaka seems almost certain to leave Milan for Manchester City. Carlo Garganese believes that if the transfer goes through, it will represent the death of football.

AC Milan are the most internationally successful club in world football, with a prestige, history, class, and honor that most other teams can only dream of. Seventeen Scudetti, seven Champions League titles, three Intercontinental Cups, a never-ending list of past and current legends, including Rivera, Altafini, Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten, Ronaldinho - you could spend all day talking about the magnificent Milan.

Compare the Rossoneri to Manchester City. Two English league titles (in 1937 and 1968), and one European Cup Winners Cup in 1970, and that is pretty much the club’s history. The Citizens have not won a major honour for 40 years, nor have they even challenged, even dropping down to the third tier a decade ago, while their past greats such as Colin Bell and Francis Lee, despite being superb players, are hardly household continental names.

Milan are currently third in Serie A, with a realistic chance of fighting for the Scudetto. The most dominant club in the Champions League this decade, the Rossoneri are almost certain to return to Europe’s premier cup competition next season, and fight to win it. Meanwhile, Manchester City are floundering down in 15th place in the Premier League, just two points above the relegation zone. There is no hope of making the Champions League next season, while their only realistic chance of qualifying for Europe at all, will be to win the UEFA Cup this season.

Milan is one of the most revered cities in Europe, a capital of design and fashion, with culture, art, nightlife, and much, much more. Manchester, meanwhile, located far, far away from the centre of Europe, boasts nothing of cultural note, and hardly catches the eye like Milan, or even London, does.

So how could it be then that one of the world’s greatest footballers could possibly move from the prestigious Milan to the plastic Manchester City?

The simple answer is: money.

The English Premier League, with its billionaire foreign owners, propaganda marketing, and obscene television deals, has already done enough to destroy the splendour and tradition of the beautiful game, and if this Kaka deal passes through, it will be the death of football.

This time, there may be no return.

Some of the financial figures being banded around are quite horrific. Kaka will earn €15m a year after tax, while Milan will reportedly receive a transfer fee in excess of €112 million. What has the world come to?

I must point out before I get floods of complaints from Premier League apologists that I have no grudge against English football. This is purely a moral stance against the direction the Premier League has taken over the past four or five years, specifically since Roman Abramovich entered onto these shores, and helped turn football into a circus.

With the world financial crisis, there was some hope in my mind that football, and the Premier League in particular, may take a step backwards and begin to regain some of its purity and soul, but the imminent Kaka deal emphatically suggests otherwise.

Milan should not escape criticism though. They have been tempted by the devil and, like Adam, they could not resist the juicy-looking apple. The second symbol of Milan, after Paolo Maldini, has been sacrificed for a pot of dirty money. What will the Milan fans at San Siro do tonight to protest? It should make interesting viewing.

Michel Platini is the President of UEFA, and he needs to immediately lay out laws to prevent rich owners from spending what their clubs, as businesses, do not make. Whether this will be possible remains to be seen, and it probably is already too late.

The day the transfer of Kaka to Manchester City goes through will be marked down in history as the day football died.

Of course, this isn't really anything new to the American baseball fan, a sport where the dollar is king and very few ideals are sacred anymore. I think this guy definitely has a point though.

On a personal level, I'll be pissed if this transfer goes through. Kaka is 2nd favorite player on Milan and is a crucial part of this team. He's esily the most dynamic playmaker, even with Ronaldhino in front of him. My first favorite player, Rino Gattuso, is laid up with an injury and pissed off because he took the Beckham signing as his replacement.

Kaka to Man City? Blechh. That'd be like... Brett Farve to the Jets
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 01-17-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This signing doesn't represent the death of football. It represents the death of every league not named the premiership.

Think about it. How many big name stars have come out recently and stated they wish to play in England one day. The writing has been on the wall for sometime now. All the money is in England, and therefore, so will the big name players. If AC Milan, one of the historically most successful clubs of all time, loses a marque player to the clippers of Manchester, then the power shift is truly complete.

Football is not dead, it's far from it. The only change is that it has now become a monopoly. One league truly reigns supreme over all the others.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maldini: Kaka Exit Would Be Disastrous For Milan

The Rossoneri's quadragenarian skipper reckons the departure of their Brazilian superstar would be "hugely negative" for the club...

In case anyone has gone Rip Van Winkle and been sleeping under a rock these past few days, here's the scoop: Manchester City are in talks with AC Milan over what would be a world-record deal for Kaka.

The Sky Blues have tabled a staggering €120 million bid for the former FIFA World Player of the Year, and reports from Italy and England suggest the San Siro giants are ready to accept the offer.

But Paolo Maldini has urged the Rossoneri directors to pull out of negotiations, as he believes the 26-year-old playmaker is virtually irreplaceable.

"This decision rests with the club but I can only stress that Kaka is very important to us and that his exit would be hugely negative," said Maldini, as quoted by The Daily Mail.

"For me this deal sounds incredible. No player is worth this much, not even Cristiano Ronaldo. But Ricky has said nothing about this to us. He seems pretty calm about everything."

Kaka will have the final say over whether or not he leaves Milan for Man City, and it seems it will take more than mere money to convince him that Eastlands is worth the gamble.

--Mike Maguire, Goal.com
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/it...rous-for-milan
    So one of the most legendary Milan players is speaking out against it, as are throngs of Milan supporters who almost rioted the stadium last night.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't call the Kaka transfer, if it goes thru of course, the end of football it is just way too overmelodramatizing what is at the end of the day another transfer. There have been transfers like these before, almost every transfer to the Russian or Ukranian league in the past few years can be characterised the same way. Chelski was supposed to be the end of football and we all saw it wasn't. This transfer won't be either.

But these guys probably don't agree with me:

Last edited by The Turk; 01-19-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The financial crisis may dictate what Milan does. Like many giants, they're massively in debt, and 120 M€ of fresh cash is hard to come by these days...

It may be an offer they just can't refuse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The financial crisis may dictate what Milan does. Like many giants, they're massively in debt, and 120 M€ of fresh cash is hard to come by these days...

It may be an offer they just can't refuse.
    City apparently payed 14 mill. pounds for Bellamy - he's worth about half that and I think around 7/8 million is what we got him for and then sold him again not that long after.

Reckon Kaka's true value is around 50 mill. pounds, so effectively they are basically paying double what the market rate is. They are paying around 18 mill for De Jong and frankly if I were the City manager I'd be focusing much more on defence than attack from now on in terms of transfers. De Jong is a defensive mid - can't say I've seen him play. City now need more defensive cover and I reckon at least one high-profile centre half will be a target for them between now and the end of the transfer market.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post

LOL, I guess they have the same stupid Mastercard commercials in Italy. Kaka non ha prezzo, indeed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Kaka non ha prezzo, indeed.
    It turns out Kaka really has no price...Berlusconi turned the offer down.

But the best comment came from Flavio Briatore - owner or GM I'm not sure of the F1 team Benetton - he said "Just as Michael Schumacher cannot be driving for Minardi, Kaka can't be playing for Man. City".

I believe if it wasn't for the fans this deal would've went thru.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate Milan (AC the football club, not the city) but am very happy the Kaka move has been torpedoed, and not because I support a club in the same league that he was possibly transferring to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    I hate Milan (AC the football club, not the city) but am very happy the Kaka move has been torpedoed, and not because I support a club in the same league that he was possibly transferring to.
    I understand.

I hate Paulie (the poster, not all Paulies), and I'm glad the deal was torpedoed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Paulie ****s me as well - holidays in the Caribbean, related to Sinatra, runs a mob-related strip-joint, has the blessing of the Pope, married to Mussolini's great-granddaughter, able to tell the difference between a good pasta and a great one, but most of all supports AC Milan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Paulie ****s me as well - holidays in the Caribbean, related to Sinatra, runs a mob-related strip-joint, has the blessing of the Pope, married to Mussolini's great-granddaughter, able to tell the difference between a good pasta and a great one, but most of all supports AC Milan.
    You forgot flaming homosexual like his buddy Gennaro and Paolo.

With a name like kaka, they deserve each other.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot flaming homosexual like his buddy Gennaro and Paolo.

With a name like kaka, they deserve each other.

I'm just wondering who wears the pants' out of Gattuso and Maldini?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just wondering who wears the pants' out of Gattuso and Maldini?
    Not Gattuso as we've seen in multiple pics.

can we just admit Paulie has been owned beyond a shadow of a {doubt} on the whole Gay Italian thing, and that I'm off the hook for good on that subject??

It's over, man. Gay Frenchie no more!!

Notice my Ham imitation

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not Gattuso as we've seen in multiple pics.

can we just admit Paulie has been owned beyond a shadow of a {doubt} on the whole Gay Italian thing, and that I'm off the hook for good on that subject??

Notice my Ham imitation
    Nah, man, Gattuso is defo that way, without a shadow of a doubt, the beard, the hyper 'animal' play on the field, he's so macho he's crossed the line. Don't care what skirt he's carrying, the fella likes it in the dressing room. No doubt.

Milan, mate - it's the centre of world fashion - what else did you expect?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know it was an either/or proposition, I think you both make excellent cases regarding the other's sexual preferance.

Keep up the good work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I didn't know it was an either/or proposition, I think you both make excellent cases regarding the other's sexual preferance.

Keep up the good work.
    I will say one thing: I'm glad I'm Australian!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will say one thing: I'm glad I'm Australian!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goddamit, where'd you find that picture of me with Baa Baa, my best friend?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goddamit, where'd you find that picture of me with Baa Baa, my best friend?
    LOL. Sorry mate, couldn't resist