Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Gruden heading to Notre Dame?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Gruden heading to Notre Dame?

[B][SIZE="4"]PAPER FLOATING GRUDEN-TO-IRISH RUMOR[/SIZE][/B]

Posted by John Taylor on January 19, 2009, 12:08 p.m. EST

[I]Well, that certainly didn’t take long.

Less than three days after Jon Gruden was unexpectedly fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New York Daily News over the weekend raised the same trial balloon we floated in the immediate aftermath of the Chucky firing.

According to the Daily News, and based on talks with a Tampa “peep”, rumor has it Notre Dame would buy out head coach Charlie Weis‘ contract as soon as the next recruiting class becomes official. The school would then hire Gruden, who has been linked to the job several times over the last seven years.

Additionally, the paper reports, there’s a “weird vibe” going on around the Irish football program according to someone close to the team.

While it seems farfetched that the Fighting Irish would make a change this long after the season had ended, the same could’ve been said for Gruden even being an available option at this point in time.[/I]

[url]http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/01/19/paper-floating-gruden-to-irish-rumor/[/url]

This could be nothing but it is plausible. What worries me as a Jets fan is the idea that, should this happen, Weis could go back to New England to replace McDaniels as offensive coordinator. I am not sure if Belicheck has hired a new offensive coordinator. But even if he did, he would just invent a title for him on his staff much like Parcells did for Belicheck in New England.

Just some food for thought....
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2978771][B][SIZE="4"]PAPER FLOATING GRUDEN-TO-IRISH RUMOR[/SIZE][/B]

[I]Well, that certainly didn’t take long.

Less than three days after Jon Gruden was unexpectedly fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New York Daily News over the weekend raised the same trial balloon we floated in the immediate aftermath of the Chucky firing.

According to the Daily News, and based on talks with a Tampa “peep”, rumor has it Notre Dame would buy out head coach Charlie Weis‘ contract as soon as the next recruiting class becomes official. The school would then hire Gruden, who has been linked to the job several times over the last seven years.

Additionally, the paper reports, there’s a “weird vibe” going on around the Irish football program according to someone close to the team.

While it seems farfetched that the Fighting Irish would make a change this long after the season had ended, the same could’ve been said for Gruden even being an available option at this point in time.[/I]

[url]http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/01/19/paper-floating-gruden-to-irish-rumor/[/url]

This could be nothing but it is plausible. What worries me as a Jets fan is the idea that, should this happen, Weis could go back to New England to replace McDaniels as offensive coordinator. I am not sure if Belicheck has hired a new offensive coordinator. But even if he did, he would just invent a title for him on his staff much like Parcells did for Belicheck in New England.

[B]Just some food for thought....[/B][/QUOTE]

Charlie will eat it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Weis stays. He sucks and I enjoy Notre Dame being awful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;2978776]Charlie will eat it[/QUOTE]

by the looks of ol' Charlie, he already has...

I think Gruden makes sense there, but does he really want to be a college coach?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=swityak11;2978778]I hope Weis stays. He sucks and I enjoy Notre Dame being awful.[/QUOTE]

But he is a very good NFL coordinator with the track record to prove it. If he gets let go it might take all of 5 minutes for belicheck to make the call.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=swityak11;2978778]I hope Weis stays. He sucks and I enjoy Notre Dame being awful.[/QUOTE]

x a gazillion

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2978787]x a gazillion[/QUOTE]

I actually think it would be funnier if ND fired Weis, had to pay him the remaining money on his contract, hired Gruden, gave him big money, and ended up sucking even worse. Which I think would be the case.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2978794]I actually think it would be funnier if ND fired Weis, had to pay him the remaining money on his contract, hired Gruden, gave him big money, and ended up sucking even worse. Which I think would be the case.[/QUOTE]

We can only dream.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Brady got Charlie the Notre Dame job.

Ever since then its been all Charlie. :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;2978776]Charlie will eat it[/QUOTE]

lol. funniest thing all week. can't stop laughing. thanks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Gruden's old contract still has 3 years left on it. If he doesn't take at least a year off he needs his head examined !

Yet Ole Charlie twist in the wind for a while.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weis will have that team winning again... Hope Gruden doesn't take them over.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2979243]Weis will have that team winning again....[/QUOTE]

Yeah? When?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=C Mart;2978776]Charlie will eat it[/quote]
    lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It won't matter who the HC is at Notre Dame until they give him a break on who he can get admitted academically. Notre Dame has to decide whether they want to be a big time program or do what the Ivy league schools did years ago, give up on the National Championship dreams and just play similar academic schools.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=extra714;2979852]It won't matter who the HC is at Notre Dame until they give him a break on who he can get admitted academically. Notre Dame has to decide whether they want to be a big time program or do what the Ivy league schools did years ago, give up on the National Championship dreams and just play similar academic schools.[/QUOTE]Their recruiting hasn't been crippled by academic standards. Over the past 4 years, they've averaged a top 10 recruiting class with two classes in the top 5. Weis just hasn't done anything with all that talent.

[url]http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Weis was a brilliant NFL OC but he's a terrible college coach. Fat f*ck cannot recruit for sh*t. Any success he had was with Willingham's players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;2980645]Charlie Weis was a brilliant NFL OC but he's a terrible college coach. Fat f*ck cannot recruit for sh*t. Any success he had was with Willingham's players.[/QUOTE]

Hah... Just about every one of your posts are void of any actual knowledge.

Since Weis has been there, Notre Dame is top 20 by Rivals for just about EVERY single season. The people at Rivals know more than you ever will about anything.

Want to get on him, get on him about developing those players, or coaching the current ones.

Weis will start winning though.. It will be fun when he does to bring back threads like this. :)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2980661]Hah... Just about every one of your posts are void of any actual knowledge.

Since Weis has been there, Notre Dame is top 20 by Rivals for just about EVERY single season. The people at Rivals know more than you ever will about anything.

Want to get on him, get on him about developing those players, or coaching the current ones.

Weis will start winning though.. It will be fun when he does to bring back threads like this. :)[/QUOTE]

You are an idiot. Ever since losing Willingham's recruits (Quinn, Samazidja, Fasano, Carlson, Abiamiri) Notre Dame has been a total disaster. His record as coach is 9-15 since losing those recruits - the most by any ND coach in two year span. If that is not the suck I don't know what is.

Please bring back these threads if Weiss starts winning again. When ND has another crappy season I'll gladly bump your stupid comment.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2980661]Since Weis has been there, Notre Dame is top 20 by Rivals for just about EVERY single season. The people at Rivals know more than you ever will about anything.

Weis will start winning though.. It will be fun when he does to bring back threads like this. :)[/QUOTE]

Please again I ask you...when exactly will Charlie start winning? And why?

What gives you confidence? The man gets top recruits and produces astonishingly bad results.