Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erik boland on Ratliff

Erik boland on Ratliff

[QUOTE]the word on Ratliff is there's not enough evidence to make a judgment.
    He has some people in the building very interested in what he might become
    but no one is ready to anoint him starter. Scouts, as is usually the case
    with QBs, have mixed opinions. [/QUOTE]

It looks like he will be relegated to a back up for 2-3 years until they finally give the kid a chance. The key phrase is "interested in what he might become." This indicates to me that they want to wait with him. :bangwall:

That definetly sucks to hear but I just hope they let him, Clemens and a veteran FA qb battle it out.

I dont know about waiting another 2-3 years but Id like to wait one more year. Clemens, IMO, is capable of at least holding the fort down for a year and I would like to see what he can do for a full year. This also lets us see Ratliff against second stringers in pre-season, which is a step up. If Clemens doesnt emerge after next season then see what the RAT has to offer.

Anybody have a solid scouting report on this kid...

Or video from college. I found very little.

[QUOTE=avi31884;2979209]It looks like he will be relegated to a back up for 2-3 years until they finally give the kid a chance. The key phrase is "interested in what he might become." This indicates to me that they want to wait with him. :bangwall:[/QUOTE]

How do you deduct 2-3 yrs out of that? :confused:

They should be waiting him out and watching him to see how he develops. The dude had a good preseason, he didn't heal the sick or anything.

I'd rather see Clemens get a real shot.

[QUOTE=C Mart;2979294]How do you deduct 2-3 yrs out of that? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Being pessimistic and knowing that most organizations dont start Qb's who haven't started yet until either the starter gets injured or isnt playing well. Look at the history of all these low round Qb's or rookie FA that finally get a shot. Did any of them get picked to start the season? All these organizations are to stupid to realize what they got and end up starting these old mediocre FA rather then go with the young gun with potential.

[QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2979304]They should be waiting him out and watching him to see how he develops. The dude had a good preseason, he didn't heal the sick or anything.

I'd rather see Clemens get a real shot.[/QUOTE]

Clemens had a bad training camp from all the reports he was getting intercepted every day. Ratty on the other hand was getting praised all training camp and played great in the preseason. Ratty played against first stringers all season on the show team and for Rhodes to say "Ratty can be special" leads me to believe he played well there to. It is naive to say that the only evidence on him is those preseason games.

[QUOTE=avi31884;2979317][B]Clemens had a bad training camp from all the reports he was getting intercepted every day.[/B] Ratty on the other hand was getting praised all training camp and played great in the preseason. Ratty played against first stringers all season on the show team and for Rhodes to say "Ratty can be special" leads me to believe he played well there to. It is naive to say that the only evidence on him is those preseason games.[/QUOTE]

And thats saying a lot considering he was going up against the jets stellar pass defense!

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=avi31884;2979209]It looks like he will be relegated to a back up for 2-3 years until they finally give the kid a chance. The key phrase is "interested in what he might become." This indicates to me that they want to wait with him. :bangwall:[/QUOTE]

Patience, Grasshopper. It is only January.

****ing January. Oh, noes...

[QUOTE=avi31884;2979317]Clemens had a bad training camp from all the reports he was getting intercepted every day. Ratty on the other hand was getting praised all training camp and played great in the preseason. Ratty played against first stringers all season on the show team and for Rhodes to say "Ratty can be special" leads me to believe he played well there to. It is naive to say that the only evidence on him is those preseason games.[/QUOTE]

Cool, so a good training camp and good preseason.

Give him an award. I still would rather see Clemens get a real shot before I start the UDFA.

Anyone can be special. This is America.

[QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2979332]Cool, so a good training camp and good preseason.

Give him an award. I still would rather see Clemens get a real shot before I start the UDFA.

Anyone can be special. This is America.[/QUOTE]

Clemens already got a real shot in ota's and training camp and failed to beat out Chad. Hopefully there will be a fair competition between them and let the best man win. Unfortunately I expect the Jets to sign some old mediocre FA and anoint the guy the starter no matter what. Experience seems to be the be all end all with these decisions. Time and again these young Qb's get their opportunity after the starter gets injured or struggles. Very rarely are teams willing to start a season with a first time QB especially if their not a first round pick.

[QUOTE=avi31884;2979337]Clemens already got a real shot in ota's and training camp and failed to beat out Chad. Hopefully there will be a fair competition between them and let the best man win. Unfortunately I expect the Jets to sign some old mediocre FA and anoint the guy the starter no matter what. Experience seems to be the be all end all with these decisions. Time and again these young Qb's get their opportunity after the starter gets injured or struggles. Very rarely are teams willing to start a season with a first time QB especially if their not a first round pick.[/QUOTE]

Word. I think Clemens would beat Ratliff in an open competition.

[QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2979338]Word. I think Clemens would beat Ratliff in an open competition.[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

Id love for it to happen so you can be proven wrong.

[QUOTE=avi31884;2979344]:rotfl:

Id love for it to happen so you can be proven wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll be devestated.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote=Chica me Tipo;2979338]Word. I think Clemens would beat Ratliff in an open competition.[/quote]Psst. After Favre our next QB is not on the roster. Comprende?

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;2979350]Psst. After Favre our next QB is not on the roster. Comprende?[/QUOTE]

Oh. Ok then. Thanks.

depending on when this scout said this, it means that ratliff would need at least one more season on the bench. but this doesn't necessarily mean that he can't read coverages or throw all of the throws. what it might mean is that they need him to bulk up a bit. as i recall, one of the knocks on brady when he came out was that he was too slim to play qb. during the season he was on the bench he bulked up enough so he could take the pounding.

we'll see what happens. this may also keep the door open for favre assuming that clemens can't go or they can't find another vet for one season. i would say, throw ratliff to the wolves and see how he makes out. they've spent all this money on an oline. time for them to start earning their pay. besides, it wouldn't be the first time a slim qb played for the jets. anyone remember al woodall?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2979304]

I'd rather see Clemens get a real shot.

[/QUOTE]

Clemens got his shot when he started 7 games and absolutely sucked.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2979400]Clemens got his shot when he started 7 games and absolutely sucked.[/QUOTE]

Yep, sucked by winning 3 of a 4 win teams games...and a few dropped passes from making it 5 (against the Ravens and Skins).