Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Rhodes says he can be the next Ed Reed?!

Kerry Rhodes says he can be the next Ed Reed?!

Just saw on SNY. I LOVE KERRY RHODES and believe the confidence is good for him, but he has to close his mouth and perform before making big time statements like that.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 01-20-2009 at 05:42 PM.

I agree w/ mogglez. He is a very talented safety, hopefully with a renwed commitment and Rex Ryan he can rightfully take a spot among the NFL elites where he belongs. That said, I like a Jets player actually having confidence in his abilities it just comes down to production.

I agree 100% with you on that! Big words for someone who has never played at that level! I'd be ecstatic if he did play anywhere near that good but he has to shut up and put up before he can start making statements like that!

Rhodes has had 2 sick seasons. He needs more.

He's definitely talented enough to do it.

what's wrong with a Jets player setting the bar high, for once?

Rhodes isn't the ball hawk that Reed is, but he is a great safety also. I hate when the people are saying well the Jets don't have a Ed Reed or Ray Lewis. We might not, but we have a great safety in Rhodes that if used properly will be a beast. Not sure if he can do what Reed does, but he can do certain things better than Reed. Rhodes is a more complete player than Reed. Hopefully Rhodes works hard which he will, and gets this defense down pat and has a great season with the money we are spending on him.

Jets have talent on defense to be very good defensively. People around the media act like the Jets are all scrubs on defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;2980256]I agree 100% with you on that! [B]Big words for someone who has never played at that level! [/B]I'd be ecstatic if he did play anywhere near that good but he has to shut up and put up before he can start making statements like that![/QUOTE]

Kerry Rhodes' 2006 stats: 98 tackles, 13 pass defenses, 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions.

Ed Reed's 2006 stats for comparison: 60 tackles, 9 pass defenses, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions.

What does "next Ed Reed" mean? Get 7-8 picks a season? Why would anyone think he can't do that? Of course he can. Now whether he will make the hall of fame is a different story. But yeah, he can put up the same numbers Reed is putting up if you allow him to follow the QB the way Reed does. Last season he wasn't allowed to make any plays, he had to make sure nobody else gives up bigplays. Which he pretty much did. Sign a solid starting CB opposite Revis, sign a solid starting safety opposite Rhodes (possibly Leonhard and Chris McAlister) and then let Rhodes do what he does best. Read the QB's eyes and make plays in coverage.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980277]Kerry Rhodes' 2006 stats: 98 tackles, 13 pass defenses, 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions.

Ed Reed's 2006 stats for comparison: 60 tackles, 9 pass defenses, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions.[/QUOTE]

That is slightly misleading...

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/score.cgi?id=ReedEd00[/url]

Ed Reed has scored 11 touchdowns as a defensive player.

Plus need I remind you of this play? You know the over the shoulders interception that he returned for a touchdown.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHNcCJ-o_AQ[/url]

Lets not pretend that anyone has the ball-hawking skills of Ed Reed.

The reality of the situation is that Rex Ryan will make Kerry Rhodes a better football player. And considering that Rhodes is already very good, we as Jets fans should be excited.

Eric Mangini and Bob Sutton ruined what might have been a very succesful defense this past season. 8-3 with 5 games left opposing teams just watched film and exploited their weaknesses and predictable formations. Rex Ryan wont allow this to happen. I predict he cleans house of the slackers on this team also.

He should set high goals for himself. If Rex Ryan makes Kerry Rhodes believe he can be Ed Reed if he puts in the work, its good for this team.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;2980314]That is slightly misleading...

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/score.cgi?id=ReedEd00[/url]

Ed Reed has scored 11 touchdowns as a defensive player.

Plus need I remind you of this play? You know the over the shoulders interception that he returned for a touchdown.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHNcCJ-o_AQ[/url]

Lets not pretend that anyone has the ball-hawking skills of Ed Reed.

The reality of the situation is that Rex Ryan will make Kerry Rhodes a better football player. And considering that Rhodes is already very good, we as Jets fans should be excited.[/QUOTE]

i don't think Buzz was saying Rhodes is as good as or even better than Reed. he was just making the point that, even though Rhodes had a "down" year in 2008, he has produced at VERY HIGH levels in the past.

if the Jets solidify their secondary with legit starters at CB2 and SS, there's no reason why Rhodes can't go back to being the high-impact player he was in '06 and '07, and with a more aggressive scheme he could be better than ever.

People saying that K Rhodes isn't a ball halk is ridiculous. Yes he had a down season this year but the prior 3 seasons his numbers were as good if not better than either palamalou or reed.

However, one of the things that Ryan needs to look at is whether Kerry gained to much weight last offseason trying to become a stronger tackler and whether that slowed him down.

Rhodes is a really talented player, and he could be something really special in this league. His 2006-2007 were as good as any Safety in the league, no question about it. I think he took a little bit of a step back this year, but how much of that was scheme related? As a whole Mangini got really conservative with the D.

Will Rhodes have the ball skills that Reed does? Probably not.

But there are aspects that Rhodes can be better then Reed as well. I think he's alot better as a Blitzer. Rhodes has 4 More Career Sacks then Reed in 3 less seasons already.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980277]Kerry Rhodes' 2006 stats: 98 tackles, 13 pass defenses, 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions.

Ed Reed's 2006 stats for comparison: 60 tackles, 9 pass defenses, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions.[/QUOTE]

People quickly forget that for 2 straight years, Ed Reed and Troy P. had bad seasons...mean while Kerry was playing out of his mind.

People are way to harsh on Kerry. If you couldnt watch the game and see he was used differently this year, you need to learn the game some.

Abram Elam was used in the box because he was a liability in coverage. Kerry was playin center field and granted, I think he played a little soft this year, a lot of it was scheme.

And I am not arguing he is as good or better, just sayin.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;2980322]i don't think Buzz was saying Rhodes is as good as or even better than Reed. he was just making the point that, even though Rhodes had a "down" year in 2008, he has produced at VERY HIGH levels in the past.

if the Jets solidify their secondary with legit starters at CB2 and SS, there's no reason why Rhodes can't go back to being the high-impact player he was in '06 and '07, and with a more aggressive scheme he could be better than ever.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much :yes:

Rhodes has a bright future ahead of him and can be every bit as good as Reed, but like another user said he has to stop playing like "Hollywood Rhodes" and start being our defensive leader just like Reed, Polamalu, and Sanders are for their teams. Imo he has it in him and can be one of the best and if there is any coach who can make him that good it is Rex.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mogglez;2980251]Just saw on SNY. I LOVE KERRY RHODES and believe the confidence is good for him, but he has to close his mouth and perform before making big time statements like that.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Casper-Friendly-Ghost-Mobile-Game-for-Halloween-2.jpg[/IMG]

imo, kerry has to focus more on being a player than a playa if you know what i mean.

I can be the next Brad Pitt.