Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerry Rhodes says he can be the next Ed Reed?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    not in kerry rhodes' wildiest dreams..i thought he was close to reed, even just as good at one point....then i grew up..reed is one of the best, if not THE best S to play the game of his generation...Rhodes is good...top 5...but not close to Reed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;2980414]not in kerry rhodes' wildiest dreams..i thought he was close to reed, even just as good at one point....then i grew up..reed is one of the best, if not THE best S to play the game of his generation...Rhodes is good...top 5...but not close to Reed.[/QUOTE]

rhodes has the ability to be top 5 but only a jet fan would say he is anywhere near that. as long as his focus is on how he wears his ballcap on the sidelines after getting beat for 6 and how his nails look for his next photo-shoot he will continue to be the bum that he was this year.:cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so tempted to say something negative but I like Rhodes too much. I will say this...There's Reed, Sanders and Polamalu...and then there is everybody else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2980438]lol :D

That's because you are so money :yes:[/QUOTE]

right back at ya big guy!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2980278]What does "next Ed Reed" mean? Get 7-8 picks a season? Why would anyone think he can't do that? Of course he can. Now whether he will make the hall of fame is a different story. But yeah, he can put up the same numbers Reed is putting up if you allow him to follow the QB the way Reed does. Last season he wasn't allowed to make any plays, he had to make sure nobody else gives up bigplays. Which he pretty much did. Sign a solid starting CB opposite Revis, sign a solid starting safety opposite Rhodes (possibly Leonhard and Chris McAlister) and then let Rhodes do what he does best. Read the QB's eyes and make plays in coverage.[/QUOTE]

exactly. "the next ed reed" is just a retarded way to put it. he's kerry rhodes not the next ed reed:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry Rhodes did not make 1 impact play last year. Elam outplayed him.

Kerry, try to make 1 game changing play before comparing yourself to Ed Reed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny because Rhodes outplayed Reed and Polamalu during 2006 and 2007.

But in 2008, Kerry regressed like crazy, and those 2 had monster seasons.

Kerry definitely has the talent, I just hope this 'fame' and 'pretty boy' image hasn't gotten to his head.

I trust Rex to extract the best out of him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed Reed's a physical freak. Rhodes' build is slight. That level might be just beyond his reach. Has Reed ever had a down year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on the pass rush. If the Jets ever decide to get a pass rush Kerry Rhodes can be the next Ed Reed. If they decide to stay the course and go the next several years pass rush-less Rhodes will never even come close.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know why K. Rhodes can be the next Ed Reed? He plays Chad Pennington twice a year! Which could equal 3-4 picks to his total INT's for the season :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2980278]What does "next Ed Reed" mean? Get 7-8 picks a season? Why would anyone think he can't do that? Of course he can. Now whether he will make the hall of fame is a different story. But yeah, he can put up the same numbers Reed is putting up if you allow him to follow the QB the way Reed does. Last season he wasn't allowed to make any plays, he had to make sure nobody else gives up bigplays. Which he pretty much did. Sign a solid starting CB opposite Revis, sign a solid starting safety opposite Rhodes (possibly Leonhard and Chris McAlister) and then let Rhodes do what he does best. Read the QB's eyes and make plays in coverage.[/QUOTE]

Ed Reed has been allowed mystical being status. He has intangibles along with physical ability. Intangibles are earned through stories and brief moments in time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2980666][B]It's funny because Rhodes outplayed Reed and Polamalu during 2006 and 2007.[/B]

But in 2008, Kerry regressed like crazy, and those 2 had monster seasons.

Kerry definitely has the talent, I just hope this 'fame' and 'pretty boy' image hasn't gotten to his head.

I trust Rex to extract the best out of him.[/QUOTE]

That goes unnoticed in all the 'Polamalu is the greatest safety ever ZOMG, hes an HOFer, talk'.

What I don't get about the folks criticizing him:

if he says:

'I strive to be a decent safety in the league'

Its 'He needs to have a fire lit under his ass, he needs to strive to be the best'

He says:

'I want to be like the best safety in the league'

'He needs to calm his expectations'

With Jets fans, no matter what you say you cannot win.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2980265]Rhodes has had 2 sick seasons. He needs more.

He's definitely talented enough to do it.[/QUOTE]

Rhodes has had some good seasons but not even close to the caliber of Reed and Polamalu. They are game changers Rhodes is not at that level. Maybe he can be in a Rex Ryan Scheme.

Reed is an all time great and is now to the point he can be mentioned in the same breath as a Ronnie Lott. Rhodes is no where close to that status and Im not sure he ever can be.
    Last edited by Smashmouth; 01-21-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980744]Rhodes has had some good seasons but not even close to the caliber of Reed and Palamalu. They are game changers Rhodes is not at that level. Maybe he can be in a Rex Ryan Scheme.

Reed is an all time great and is now to the point he can be mentioned in the same breath as a Ronnie Lott. Rhodes is no where close to that status and Im not sure he ever can be.[/QUOTE]

Game changers is just a word. Plus, Rhodes has been a game changer too.

Rhodes' '06 was as good a season as any season Polamalu had had up to that point.

You're talking about status as a player. Status isn't the issue, obviously Rhodes isn't viewed as highly as Reed or Polamalu. Doesn't mean he's not capable of it, and it definitely doesn't mean he hasn't done it before.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 01-21-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;2980746]Game changers is just a word. Plus, Rhodes has been a game changer too.

Rhodes' '06 was as good a season as any season Polamalu had had up to that point.

You're talking about status as a player. Status isn't the issue, obviously Rhodes isn't viewed as highly as Reed or Polamalu. Doesn't mean he's not capable of it, and it definitely doesn't mean he hasn't done it before.[/QUOTE]

Rhodes is capable but hes not close to those two sorry. Reed made numerous plays that won the Miami game and Polamalu made a bunch of plays that turned the tables in the Ravens game. These guys do it game in and game out all year long and most importantly in the playoffs.

Rhodes seems to have lost a bit of his edge and he certainly is not as intense as the 2 players people claim he can be as good as. I think Rhodes is a good safety who can have a great game now and then but he is not as consistently dominating as I thought he would be. After the NE game in 06 I thought Rhodes was going to be a stud and he played well but he lacks the big play consistency to be considered great. He is a very sure tackler, very rarely misses a tackle and he is fundamentally sound. Hes just a good solid player not a great one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980744]Rhodes has had some good seasons but [B]not even close [/B]to the caliber of Reed and Palamalu.[/QUOTE]
    -just flat out wrong. 06 and 07 arguably he outplayed both; so -in reality- it [I]was[/I] very close.
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980744]Reed is an all time great and is now to the point he can be mentioned in the same breath as a Ronnie Lott. Rhodes is no where close to that status and Im not sure he ever can be.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but reed and lott are FS and SS respectively.... they're both 10's and would complement each other perfectly. different players though - and different position btwn the 2 @ strong and free....

as for rhodes enough with the "nevers" and the "not sure he ever can be"BS.. . nothing is ever certain. so I don't know what to tell those who want such certainty. it doesn't exist. The key is he has that potential to be great; and has played to it already outside of 08. so he had an off year - where the coaches happened to get fired - and happened to have him lined up 20 yards deep -misused- all season! because we were beyond scared of getting beat deep... This is no excuse -- not his fault the coaching was atrocious.
    Last edited by JOHNNY JOHNSON; 01-21-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2980760]-just flat out wrong. 06 and 07 arguably he outplayed both; so -in reality- it [I]was[/I] very close.

I agree, but reed and lott are FS and SS respectively.... they're both 10's and would complement each other perfectly. different players though - and different position btwn the 2 @ strong and free....

as for rhodes enough with the "nevers" and the "not sure he ever can be"BS.. . nothing is ever certain. so I don't know what to tell those who want such certainty. it doesn't exist. The key is he has that potential to be great; and has played to it already outside of 08. so he had an off year - where the coaches happened to get fired - and happened to have him lined up 20 yards deep -misused- all season! because we were beyond scared of getting beat deep... This is no excuse -- not his fault the coaching was atrocious.[/QUOTE]

JJ the coaching was horrible your correct and I do think the way Rhodes was used was a joke. So will have to see what he does in a Rex run Defensive scheme.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980755][B]Rhodes is capable but hes not close to those two sorry. Reed made numerous plays that won the Miami game and Polamalu made a bunch of plays that turned the tables in the Ravens game. These guys do it game in and game out all year long and most importantly in the playoffs. [/B]

Rhodes seems to have lost a bit of his edge and he certainly is not as intense as the 2 players people claim he can be as good as. I think Rhodes is a good safety who can have a great game now and then but he is not as consistently dominating as I thought he would be. After the NE game in 06 I thought Rhodes was going to be a stud and he played well but he lacks the big play consistency to be considered great. He is a very sure tackler, very rarely misses a tackle and he is fundamentally sound. Hes just a good solid player not a great one.[/QUOTE]

We weren't in the playoffs. Thats probably going to give Reed and Polamalu a shot.

And again, you're doing this on rep. Rhodes has played like these guys before, and he's perfectly capable of doing it again.

I don't care if he's considered on the same tier as those guys. That kind of thing takes team success, time, and hype. Those are things few Jets players get but he's not saying anything crazy by thinking he can be a top tier safety. He played like one in both '06 and '07.

Also, Rhodes didn't lose any balls last year. He just didn't blitz as much because Elam can't cover deep like he can. Jets weren't beat on the deep ball too often...so he did his job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;2980495]Kerry Rhodes did not make 1 impact play last year. Elam outplayed him.

Kerry, try to make 1 game changing play before comparing yourself to Ed Reed.[/QUOTE]

For a mediocre player, Rhodes has a pretty big flytrap. :yes: