Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Schefter on Jets QB situation

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980629]This is the biggest reason why Tannenbaum should've been canned. Passed on Cutler, Quinn, Edwards, Flacco etc. There's very little chance of achieving the ultimate goal without an elite QB. It's cool to sit here and discuss all the Jets news, but until we get a young franchise QB, I sometimes wonder, what's the point?

My sig quote btw is from Jim Schwartz, Tennessee's former DC and now Detroit's head coach. He's a defensive mastermind, and even he knows what's up.[/QUOTE]

Quote of the Century.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=avi31884;2980359][URL="http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e3bbb6"]http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e3bbb6[/URL]

Rex Grossman? REALLY!?!?! What is with these people's fascination with "experience?" Dont bother with the fact that he played and has proven to stink no all that matters is that he played. So we cant go into training camp with only Kellen and Ratliff we need Grossman to waste time taking valuable snaps away from them?[/QUOTE]

why not substitute one INT machine for another...?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]2009 Quarterback Rankings [/B]
    [B]Top 10[/B]

Matt Stafford, Georgia
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 3 Pick.

Mark Sanchez, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 10 Pick.

Josh Freeman, Kansas State
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 249.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Projected Round (2009): 2.

Nate Davis, Ball State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
    Projected Round (2009): 3.

Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 224.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
    Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 217.

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Projected Round (2009): 4.

Mike Reilly, Central Washington
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
    Projected Round (2009): 5.

Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 199.
    Projected Round (2009): 6.
    Last edited by JI; 01-20-2009 at 11:57 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;2980497]why the hard on for Gruden? He really does suck.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.csh.rit.edu/~kenny/rangers/media/images/banner.jpg[/IMG]

They said the same thing about Mike Keenan in 1994 when he took over a lazy, complacent, underachieving team loaded with talent.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;2980628]Gruden was a guy who took over a very talented defense and won the super bowl his first years and did s*** the next 6 years after that. None of the players liked him or liked playing for him. Now I know a coach doesn't have to be NICE or HAVE A RELATIONSHIP with his players, but I want someone the players will play for passionately. That is what Rex Ryan is.

Plus all of the fans down here hated him after his first few years. They realized early the true identity of yucky chucky, and wanted him gone for awhile now...[/QUOTE]

We're a mature team that has a 2 year shelf life.

It doesn't matter as of 10:01 tomorrow morning, but an ass-kicking Super Bowl head coach has a better chance of getting the most out of those 2 precious years with the primadonna's than a rookie does.

By the time Ryan figures it out and becomes good* at what he does in 2011, we'll be in a full rebuild as the Jenkins', Faneca's, Rhodes', Pace's, Jones' of the world become very expensive benchwarmers.

SAR I
    [SIZE="1"]* No rookie HC in Jets history has ever amounted to anything, so this is quite the example of wishful-thinking.[/SIZE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980629]This is the biggest reason why Tannenbaum should've been canned. Passed on Cutler, Quinn, Edwards, Flacco etc. There's very little chance of achieving the ultimate goal without an elite QB. It's cool to sit here and discuss all the Jets news, but until we get a young franchise QB, I sometimes wonder, what's the point?

My sig quote btw is from Jim Schwartz, Tennessee's former DC and now Detroit's head coach. He's a defensive mastermind, and even he knows what's up.[/QUOTE]

If you look at Tannenbaum's record, it's a History Of Fear. Afraid to spend the huge draft bucks on anything but fat linemen. Afraid to cut Chad when he should have, afraid to draft one of the Big Names you mentioned, afraid to take a flyer on someone else's failed draft choice.

Eventually, you need to have the balls to say "Hey, we're committed to this young guy and we're going to build around him" in the same fashion as the Giants did with Manning, the Colts did with Manning, the Steelers did with Roethlisberger, the Chargers did with Rivers, etc.

Baltimore just went to the AFC Championship Game because they spent the money and the pick on a guy they believed in. He was rushed into service early, and look at what happened. Ditto Atlanta with Ryan.

The irony?

Tannenbaum takes the risk on rookie head coaches! It's a bigger risk than the first round franchise QB, but no, not afraid there. See, with a rookie HC, it keeps Mike employed longer. And that's the goal. Keep Mike employed.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980665]We're a mature team that has a 2 year shelf life.

It doesn't matter as of 10:01 tomorrow morning, but an ass-kicking Super Bowl head coach has a better chance of getting the most out of those 2 precious years with the primadonna's than a rookie does.

By the time Ryan figures it out and becomes good* at what he does in 2011, we'll be in a full rebuild as the Jenkins', Faneca's, Rhodes', Pace's, Jones' of the world become very expensive benchwarmers.

SAR I
    [SIZE="1"]* No rookie HC in Jets history has ever amounted to anything, so this is quite the example of wishful-thinking.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Dam Sar I respect you're opinion but you rain like Seattle.
    Disappointment sucks but come on bro..did you think this was the year? if we don't win were screwed? this roster is good for a 2-3 year window?
    And if Gruden was hierd then the roster is ok?
    Last edited by JI; 01-21-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980665]We're a mature team that has a 2 year shelf life.

SAR I
    [SIZE="7[B]"]* No rookie HC in Jets history has ever amounted to anything, so this is quite the example of wishful-thinking[/B].[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

No rookie head coaches ? Last time I looked there were 2 Rookie head coaches heading to the SuperBowl

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BLEEDgreenN'white;2980632]Oh and how you've wanted the Jets to grow a pair of balls and draft a QB in the first round.....ya throw that out the window with gruden. More likely Peyton manning coming to the jets than us drafting a QB with gruden.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand me. Here's what I would have done:

[U]2009-2010[/U]: [B]Win-Right-Now, Sell PSL's Strategy[/B]

Recognizing that his team has a 2 year shelf-life with all the expensive free agents and recognizing that he needs a big name to sell PSL's, Woody kills two birds with one stone and brings in ___________ (veteran, Super Bowl winning HC goes here) in true Mike Keenan style to go for it all. HC cracks the whip on the Over The Hill Gang. Gets every drop of blood from Favre, Faneca, Woody, Pace, Jenkins, etc.

[U]2011-2013[/U]: [B]Rebuild For The Future Strategy[/B]

Now that the 2 year run is over and the fat-cat free agents are the world's most expensive benchwarmers, Woody does the right thing and brings in ___________ (rookie respected coordinator) to rebuild with youth. By the time this new HC is up to speed, the other youngsters are out of their Huggies and ready to make another run.

As always, the Jets are never in sync. We either have a youngster at QB in front of an aging team or an old man at QB in front of a young team. This time, it's at HC too. Veteran, win-right-now team being led by a complete newb whose own team passed him over for their vacant HC job. Like All Pro Faneca is going to take sh't from Rex Ryan.

Say what you will about the long-term viability of Gruen on a young team and I'll agree with you.

But the guy did the same damned thing in Tampa, right? Went down and whipped those talented, lethargic, lazy, bloated, loser Bucs and got them over the hump. Gruden may suck in the rebuilld, but I can't think of a more perfect and proven guy to get us what we need [U]right now[/U].

We're out of sync. We're backwards. Just like Herman Edwards being handed the keys to the Parcells Masterpiece in 2001. If back then we grabbed an experienced HC, we may have won the Super Bowl, not the Patriots. Maybe if he takes a perfectly healthy Chad Pennington and starts him from the git-go in 2002 we get homefield advantage and play the Raiders in our freezing house instead of in theirs.

Rookie head coaches and ancient quarterbacks. That's been our problem since Vietnam. How some of you can't see this is absolutely astonishing.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980671]No rookie head coaches ? Last time I looked there were 2 Rookie head coaches heading to the SuperBowl[/QUOTE]

One of those rookies was handed the keys to Bill Cowher's Super Bowl team, repleat with Ben Roethlisberger in his prime.

The other of those rookies was handed the keys to an exceptionally well-stocked roster with tons of first round draft picks, a cake division, and a Hall of Fame QB with some gas left in the tank.

Last time I checked, our rookie will be handed the keys to a dysfunctional group of free agent personalities fresh off an epic collapse where the primadonna's quit on their head coach, showed no spirit, showed no passion, laid down like dogs. And one Tom Brady will be back enroute to another 13 win season, too.

I'm sure that Rex Ryan could be taking the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl had he gotten the job that Tomlin ultimately wound up with.

We ain't the Steelers. Thus, he's the wrong guy for the job on a team with a two-year shelf life.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JI;2980669]Dam Sar I respect you're opinion but you rain like Seattle.
    Disappointment sucks but come on bro..did you think this was the year? if we don't win were screwed? this roster is good for a 2-3 year window?
    And if Gruden was hierd then the roster is ok?[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing:

1. The NFL is as wide-open as its ever been. I mean, the Giants won it last year at the #6 and the Cardinals have a legit shot at it this year. The Dolphins won the AFC East. It's bizzarro NFL and we have talent in most of the right places.

2. This team, at 8-3 looked very legitimate beating two of the best teams in the league back-to-back.

3. This team looks like the 1993 Rangers. Lots of unmotivated talent behind a HC they didn't believe in.

Answer this for me:

If someone like Jon Gruden or Mike Shanahan were our head coach this past season, we'd have been at least the same 8-3 if not 9-2, right? And bad as both of them were with their teams down the stretch, they'd certainly have gone better than 1-4 to close it out, right?

One of those two would have gotten us that 10th or 11th win and we'd have been in the playoffs with only lame teams in the way.

We have a chance to do this again for the next two years, do it the right way. Well, [I]had [/I]a chance to do it the right way.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980679]Here's the thing:

1. The NFL is as wide-open as its ever been. I mean, the Giants won it last year at the #6 and the Cardinals have a legit shot at it this year. The Dolphins won the AFC East. It's bizzarro NFL and we have talent in most of the right places.

2. This team, at 8-3 looked very legitimate beating two of the best teams in the league back-to-back.

3. This team looks like the 1993 Rangers. Lots of unmotivated talent behind a HC they didn't believe in.

Answer this for me:

If someone like Jon Gruden or Mike Shanahan were our head coach this past season, we'd have been at least the same 8-3 if not 9-2, right? And bad as both of them were with their teams down the stretch, they'd certainly have gone better than 1-4 to close it out, right?

[B]One of those two would have gotten us that 10th or 11th win and we'd have been in the playoffs with only lame teams in the way.[/B]

We have a chance to do this again for the next two years, do it the right way. Well, [I]had [/I]a chance to do it the right way.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

All good points, Just because we made it to the Playoffs with Gruden or Shanahan does not equal an AFC Championship Victory, let alone a Superbowl win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980679]Here's the thing:

Answer this for me:

One of those two would have gotten us that 10th or 11th win and we'd have been in the playoffs with only lame teams in the way.

We have a chance to do this again for the next two years, do it the right way. [B]Well, [I]had [/I]a chance to do it the right way.[/B]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Rex Ryan was respected by the players of his previous team. Also, the Ravens had some strong personalities. Who is to say he can't do the same for the Jets? It's a bit unfair to already knock the guy down without at least seeing how the players react to him. What is done has been done. Since we hardly have an idea how he will lead the team as a HC, at least have some hope.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JI;2980683]All good points, Just because we made it to the Playoffs with Gruden or Shanahan does not equal an AFC Championship Victory, let alone a Superbowl win.[/QUOTE]

Well, while no guarantee, I feel pretty confident when I say that:

1. They certainly would have done better in the postseason than Mangini would have.

2. Their past experience in playing in multiple AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls would have given the team a nice advantage that Mangini couldn't come close to replicating.

3. They cut their teeth on making the very types of gutsy decisions that Mangini was completely afraid of, especially in the postseason. And in this year's postseason, more than most others, that gutsy Big Playcall is what got the final four where they were and the final two where they are.

Young up-and-coming rebuilding teams need a young up-and-coming head coach that they can [U]believe in[/U] like innocent sheep.

Mature two-year-shelf-life teams need an experienced and proven head coach that [U]they can respect[/U] like the veteran players they are.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980675]One of those rookies was handed the keys to Bill Cowher's Super Bowl team, repleat with Ben Roethlisberger in his prime.

The other of those rookies was handed the keys to an exceptionally well-stocked roster with tons of first round draft picks, a cake division, and a Hall of Fame QB with some gas left in the tank.

Last time I checked, our rookie will be handed the keys to a dysfunctional group of free agent personalities fresh off an epic collapse where the primadonna's quit on their head coach, showed no spirit, showed no passion, laid down like dogs. And one Tom Brady will be back enroute to another 13 win season, too.

I'm sure that Rex Ryan could be taking the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl had he gotten the job that Tomlin ultimately wound up with.

We ain't the Steelers. Thus, he's the wrong guy for the job on a team with a two-year shelf life.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR I see your point but we cant blame our dysfunctional group on our next head coach. Nor should we have expected a seasoned HC to come in and round them into contenders. We can however look at how horribly this team has been handled personell wise and started with Hiring a GM who had a clue. Tanny is a huge Problem IMHO. I wanted Cowher all year and we made a piss poor attempt to get him and we didnt even really make an attempt at Shanny both guys wanted to be WOWED and we didnt wow in the least. Of what was left Im not too dissapointed we got Rex, the guy knows the game for sure and Im sure his daddy had a huge influence on him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=supergumbo;2980690]Rex Ryan was respected by the players of his previous team. Also, the Ravens had some strong personalities. Who is to say he can't do the same for the Jets? It's a bit unfair to already knock the guy down without at least seeing how the players react to him. What is done has been done. Since we hardly have an idea how he will lead the team as a HC, at least have some hope.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm done with hope. I'm done with rookie head coaches. I will not allow myself to get all excited about another NFL coordinator or assistant coach ever again.

Groh to Edwards to Mangini after Parcells can do that to you. When you see what its like being led by a professor, its sort of hard to be happy being led by a tutor.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980693]SAR I see your point but we cant blame our dysfunctional group on our next head coach. Nor should we have expected a seasoned HC to come in and round them into contenders. We can however look at how horribly this team has been handled personell wise and started with Hiring a GM who had a clue. Tanny is a huge Problem IMHO. I wanted Cowher all year and we made a piss poor attempt to get him and we didnt even really make an attempt at Shanny both guys wanted to be WOWED and we didnt wow in the least. Of what was left Im not too dissapointed we got Rex, the guy knows the game for sure and Im sure his daddy had a huge influence on him.[/QUOTE]

Let's say that Rex Ryan is a bonafide franchise head coach. That he can last for 10 years in New York.

All I'm saying is that he's going to need 2 years or so to get his feet wet at which time this veteran Jets team will need a complete dismantling.

Right coach, wrong time. We need a hot young coordinator in 2011. We need an ass-kicking veteran in 2009 and 2010.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2980693] I wanted Cowher all year and we made a piss poor attempt to get him and we didnt even really make an attempt at Shanny both guys wanted to be WOWED and we didnt wow in the least..[/QUOTE]

Thank you voice of reason.

Woody doesn't even show up just to talk to Cowher (Mikey T didn't want to give up his GM title anyway) and the Jets made a joke of an attempt to go after Shanny and probably didn't even try to get Gruden.

I hope Rex Ryan turns out to be a great coach but the fact that the Jets passed up on 4 HC's with Super Bowl trophies (if you include Billick) is just another reason to understand why this is such an inept and cursed organization.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980691]Well, while no guarantee, I feel pretty confident when I say that:

1. They certainly would have done better in the postseason than Mangini would have.

2. Their past experience in playing in multiple AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls would have given the team a nice advantage that Mangini couldn't come close to replicating.

3. They cut their teeth on making the very types of gutsy decisions that Mangini was completely afraid of, especially in the postseason. And in this year's postseason, more than most others, that gutsy Big Playcall is what got the final four where they were and the final two where they are.

Young up-and-coming rebuilding teams need a young up-and-coming head coach that they can [U]believe in[/U] like innocent sheep.

Mature two-year-shelf-life teams need an experienced and proven head coach that [U]they can respect[/U] like the veteran players they are.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Again good points SAR I, Look at the rookie coaches this year. I'm going with teams, trying to spell names will be hard for me, Dolphins, Ravens, Falcons..
    Last year, Saints , Cardinals, Steelers...my times may be off but just because rookie HC's haven't worked for us (so far) does not mean they don't work.
    there have been many rookie HC's that have been very successful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JI;2980660][B]2009 Quarterback Rankings [/B]
    [B]Top 10[/B]

Matt Stafford, Georgia
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 3 Pick.

Mark Sanchez, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 10 Pick.

Josh Freeman, Kansas State
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 249.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Projected Round (2009): 2.

Nate Davis, Ball State
    Projected Round (2009): 3.

Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 224.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.72.

Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 217.

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Projected Round (2009): 4.

Mike Reilly, Central Washington
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
    Projected Round (2009): 5.

Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 199.
    Projected Round (2009): 6.[/QUOTE]

Huge dropoff outside of the top two guys.