Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adam Schefter on Jets QB situation

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I]Baltimore just went to the AFC Championship Game because they spent the money and the pick on a guy they believed in. He was rushed into service early, and look at what happened. Ditto Atlanta with Ryan.[/QUOTE]

and arizona spent the money and the pick on a guy they believed in. and guess what, they didn't get anywhere until they replaced him with an over the hill vet. now they are in the superbowl without him.

i could say the same for tennessee. they invested everything into young and didn't get anywhere until they replaced him.

the bengals put everything on palmer in 2003, and they haven't recovered since.

the jags did the same thing in 2003 with leftwich and didn't recover till they replaced him with a 3rd round pick.

broncos, still struggling.

bills still haven't recovered from the jp losman era, and thank god that was a late 1st round pick, they can already start recovering.

raiders, you think they regret that pick? now they are stuck with him for at least 2-3 more years before they can even think about moving on.

49ers, STILL trying to recover from the alex smith debacle.

point is, it isn't a lock on ANY terms that 1st round qb's help your team.

[QUOTE=SAR I;2980675]One of those rookies was handed the keys to Bill Cowher's Super Bowl team, repleat with Ben Roethlisberger in his prime.

The other of those rookies was handed the keys to an exceptionally well-stocked roster with tons of first round draft picks, a cake division, and a Hall of Fame QB with some gas left in the tank.

Last time I checked, our rookie will be handed the keys to a dysfunctional group of free agent personalities fresh off an epic collapse where the primadonna's quit on their head coach, showed no spirit, showed no passion, laid down like dogs. And one Tom Brady will be back enroute to another 13 win season, too.[/QUOTE]

man, talk about spin job.

"an exceptionally well-stocked roster" that couldn't win more than 6 games before the rookie HC, and "a cake division" despite playing the best teams in the conference and beating them in the playoffs.

are you telling me arizona never quit on green? you're telling me they were not dysfunctional? they always showed spirit/passion under green?

look, your idea that ryan will fail because our team is loaded with "personalities" is a joke. you're talking about a coach that his own players say he controls these types of personalities the best. a coach that his own players NEVER quit on and they ALWAYS show spirit and passion. i'm not guaranteeing he will be able to do all these things, but it's completely ridiculous to assume against it only because he's a rookie HC.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980691]Young up-and-coming rebuilding teams need a young up-and-coming head coach that they can [U]believe in[/U] like innocent sheep.

Mature two-year-shelf-life teams need an experienced and proven head coach that [U]they can respect[/U] like the veteran players they are.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    that almost looks like a good point except that the two teams in the SB have rookie head coaches and neither of them were young up-and-coming teams. one of them was FOR SURE a mature two-year-shelf-life team. and the steelers FOR SURE respect their young 2nd year HC.

All League
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;2980718]and arizona spent the money and the pick on a guy they believed in. and guess what, they didn't get anywhere until they replaced him with an over the hill vet. now they are in the superbowl without him.

i could say the same for tennessee. they invested everything into young and didn't get anywhere until they replaced him.

the jags did the same thing in 2003 with leftwich and didn't recover till they replaced him with a 3rd round pick.

bills still haven't recovered from the jp losman era, and thank god that was a late 1st round pick, they can already start recovering.

raiders, you think they regret that pick? now they are stuck with him for at least 2-3 more years before they can even think about moving on.

point is, it isn't a lock on ANY terms that 1st round qb's help your team.

man, talk about spin job.

"an exceptionally well-stocked roster" that couldn't win more than 6 games before the rookie HC, and "a cake division" despite playing the best teams in the conference and beating them in the playoffs.

are you telling me arizona never quit on green? you're telling me they were not dysfunctional? they always showed spirit/passion under green?

look, your idea that ryan will fail because our team is loaded with "personalities" is a joke. you're talking about a coach that his own players say he controls these types of personalities the best. a coach that his own players NEVER quit on and they ALWAYS show spirit and passion. i'm not guaranteeing he will be able to do all these things, but it's completely ridiculous to assume against it only because he's a rookie HC.[/QUOTE]

Thank You, Megalo :clapper::clapper::clapper:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980629]This is the biggest reason why Tannenbaum should've been canned. Passed on Cutler, Quinn, Edwards, Flacco etc. There's very little chance of achieving the ultimate goal without an elite QB. It's cool to sit here and discuss all the Jets news, but until we get a young franchise QB, I sometimes wonder, what's the point? [/QUOTE]

so he passed on quinn and edwards huh? how the hell do you expect him to get those players? he put all of our stock in two guys he REALLY wanted, and those players are REALLY working out for us. would you rather have quinn over revis? or would you rather have edwards over harris?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2980695]Let's say that Rex Ryan is a bonafide franchise head coach. That he can last for 10 years in New York.

All I'm saying is that he's going to need 2 years or so to get his feet wet at which time this veteran Jets team will need a complete dismantling.

Right coach, wrong time. We need a hot young coordinator in 2011. We need an ass-kicking veteran in 2009 and 2010.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR I dont think were "That Team" Built to win now with a seasoned veteran HC. I think we have way too many holes that need to be plugged and spent entirely too much money clumped up in few areas. We spent Millions upon Millions on Thomas, Pace, and The Ghost. All OLB who are serviceable at best one dimentional talent and one of them cant even play football.

Were still woefully weak at the WR position we obviously need that Big WR to move the chains and our wonderful Front Office never saw fit to get a high end WR in here when tons of them were available in the draft and others in FA.

We were a defense last year that rolled when Jenkins rolled. When Jenkins agressiveness took its toll on him physically due to his massive size we floundered. This team didnt need 3 Pass Rushing LB's it needed D-Lineman for a solid rotation to open things up for LB's to succeed. Tanny and Mangini were working backwards. If we cant figure a way to keep Jenkins healthy and rested next year were in for the same problem. This team will be a decent football team and win from 9 to 11 games but will it be the type of team that can contend with the elites ? I dont think so. Were stuck with the Thomas' Paces and Gholstons of the world and not to mention Kenyon Coleman and an ageing Ellis.

The other problem is O-LIne while they are a GOOD bunch I emphasize GOOD do you think by any stretch they could contend with the Steelers or the Ravens pass rush ? Do you think It will be any different next year ? We are a "on the brink" Playoff team that in no way will contend with the elites and we are cap strapped.

Its been the same old story for the past 8 years and its not going to change next year because Rex Ryan is here. In the early 2000's we needed a WR and we did nothing. In the Late 2000's we needed a pass rush and we went ape sh!t crazy overspending on OLB's that are ordinary. Rex will evaluate this team and hopefully come up with a way to win but dont expect this team to be a SB contender unless we make some drastic changes after next year.

Parcells had us on the Brink and Herm never made the right moves, he let our O-Line depleat to a pile of crap and Mangini finished the job.

We had flashes last year but we are not in the same league as the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers and Colts. Can we beat one of those teams in a playoff game ? Absolutely can we beat all three and go to a super bowl ? Not in our wildest dreams.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What do Gruden, Shanny, and Mangini all have in common? All three of there teams controlled their own destiny for a playoff berth and all three's teams collapsed in the final month

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote=Buzzsaw;2980474]Draft. Mark. Sanchez. That is all.[/quote]
    What. He. Said.

btw, after looking at that list no wonder Tanny wants Farve back.

Rookie
    Cullen Harper out of Clemson has potential

[url]http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1613[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;2980720]that almost looks like a good point except that the two teams in the SB have rookie head coaches and neither of them were young up-and-coming teams. one of them was FOR SURE a mature two-year-shelf-life team. and the steelers FOR SURE respect their young 2nd year HC.[/QUOTE]

You can quit now. I think you've thoroughly owned SAR already. One thing we all learned from the Mangini experiment is that it's not about youth, it's not strictly about X's and O's in a padded room, and it's not about pedigree in some coaching tree. It's all about style, leadership, flexibility, a good nose for how to develop talent, and the right choices around the HC. On the other side of the equation, old resumes that include championships don't presage future success. With age comes rigidity, unfortunately. It's rare that old dogs are willing to learn new tricks.

[QUOTE=JI;2980660][B]2009 Quarterback Rankings [/B]
    [B]Top 10[/B]

Matt Stafford, Georgia
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 3 Pick.

Mark Sanchez, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2009): Top 10 Pick.

Josh Freeman, Kansas State
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 249.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Projected Round (2009): 2.

Nate Davis, Ball State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
    Projected Round (2009): 3.

Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 224.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
    Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
    Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 217.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Projected Round (2009): 4.

Mike Reilly, Central Washington
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
    Projected Round (2009): 5.

Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 199.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
    Projected Round (2009): 6.[/QUOTE]

Nate Davis will end up being the best pro in this year's draft.

I agree 98% SAR. However there are a couple of points that need to be re-addressed.

1- Cower and Shanahan had very little, if any interest in the job this season for both personal and professional reasons. As for Gruden, it appears the deal with Ryan was in already in place when Gruden was fired. The Jets, always mindful (sometimes too mindful) of their laughingstock reputation, did not want to risk a PR disaster by going after Gruden while a backroom deal was already in place with Ryan. The Tannenbaum power trip in relation to rookie HC was absolutely the cherry on top.

2. Comparing Ryan and Mangini as qualified 1st year HC is not all that fair. Mangini, who as others have stated will be a solid HC in time, was completely unqualified to take the reigns. Mangini had only 1 year DC experience and 5 years as a DB coach while Ryan has been a DC for 4 years, a def assistant for 5 years and numerous years as a DC in the college game. If you ever wanted a rookie HC (which i agree with this team i didn't) Rex appears to be a solid choice.

[QUOTE]and arizona spent the money and the pick on a guy they believed in. and guess what, they didn't get anywhere until they replaced him with an over the hill vet. now they are in the superbowl without him.

point is, it isn't a lock on ANY terms that 1st round qb's help your team.[/QUOTE]

The Bengals and Broncos probably don't regret their QB choices.

Neither do the Raiders. I have on idea why people have convinced themselves that Russell is terrible, cause even for that sh*t team he wasn't half bad this year.

[QUOTE]
    are you telling me arizona never quit on green? you're telling me they were not dysfunctional? they always showed spirit/passion under green?[/QUOTE]

They don't even do it under Wisenhunt. If anyone watched the Cardinals at all this year, they were basically the Jets of '08 without a Kris Jenkins but with a Larry Fitzgerald. Passion and fire are two things we give winners to make them seem even more high up than they are. They're words, not actual things.

[QUOTE]look, your idea that ryan will fail because our team is loaded with "personalities" is a joke. you're talking about a coach that his own players say he controls these types of personalities the best. a coach that his own players NEVER quit on and they ALWAYS show spirit and passion. i'm not guaranteeing he will be able to do all these things, but it's completely ridiculous to assume against it only because he's a rookie HC.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I don't want my players showing spirit and passion. I want them to be good like the Ravens, so that I can say that they have spirit and passion.

Thats usually how it works anyway.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2980629]This is the biggest reason why Tannenbaum should've been canned. Passed on Cutler, Quinn, Edwards, Flacco etc. There's very little chance of achieving the ultimate goal without an elite QB. It's cool to sit here and discuss all the Jets news, but until we get a young franchise QB, I sometimes wonder, what's the point?

My sig quote btw is from Jim Schwartz, Tennessee's former DC and now Detroit's head coach. He's a defensive mastermind, and even he knows what's up.[/QUOTE]

1. Edwards sucks.
    2. We passed on Quinn for Revis who is arguably a top 3 CB in the league
    3. I agree on Cutler big time, and I think the Jets shouldve tried harder to trade up for Flacco.

All League
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;2980724]so he passed on quinn and edwards huh? how the hell do you expect him to get those players? he put all of our stock in two guys he REALLY wanted, and those players are REALLY working out for us. would you rather have quinn over revis? or would you rather have edwards over harris?[/QUOTE]

I see you already beat me to it.

I fail to see the fascination with Edwards, he's terrible.