Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pettine gets 3-year deal as Jets DC

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Pettine gets 3-year deal as Jets DC

I'm a Jets fan for 36 years now, and I'm happy to say it's the first time I've known a coach on their staff personally. I've known Mike Pettine since 1991, and I know we're getting a quality guy. I work at a newspaper in his hometown, and I covered many games when he was the coach of high school teams in our area. He's a good guy and a very intelligent, hard-working and dedicated guy. His father was one of the greatest high school coaches ever, and he was Mike's biggest influence.

Mike went to Virginia as a QB, but got switched to DB when it was obvious he wouldn't beat out Don Majkowski. He roomed with ex-Jets first-round pick Jeff Lageman one year at Virginia. For what it's worth, he has a brother-in-law who is a diehard Jets fan. He bypassed a chance to come to the Jets when Donnie Henderson asked him to be on his staff, because he felt more security sticking with Brian Billick. In the last couple of years, he became the right-hand man of Rex Ryan. John Harbaugh never even bothered to offer the DC job to Mike, because he knew Mike's primary goal was to align himself with Rex Ryan. They believe in each other a great deal and they're both very hard workers. I'm prejudiced, but I think this is going to work out great for us.

Below is a link to the story in our newspaper, which comes out of suburban Philadelphia. I realize all the New York papers will have it today, too, but here's ours:

[url]http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/119/2009/january/21/pettine-joins-ryan-sources-say-the-central-bucks-west-grad-will-receive-a-three-year-deal-to-serve-a.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=J-E-F-F;2980763]I'm a Jets fan for 36 years now, and I'm happy to say it's the first time I've known a coach on their staff personally. I've known Mike Pettine since 1991, and I know we're getting a quality guy. I work at a newspaper in his hometown, and I covered many games when he was the coach of high school teams in our area. He's a good guy and a very intelligent, hard-working and dedicated guy. His father was one of the greatest high school coaches ever, and he was Mike's biggest influence.

Mike went to Virginia as a QB, but got switched to DB when it was obvious he wouldn't beat out Don Majkowski. He roomed with ex-Jets first-round pick Jeff Lageman one year at Virginia. For what it's worth, he has a brother-in-law who is a diehard Jets fan. He bypassed a chance to come to the Jets when Donnie Henderson asked him to be on his staff, because he felt more security sticking with Brian Billick. In the last couple of years, he became the right-hand man of Rex Ryan. John Harbaugh never even bothered to offer the DC job to Mike, because he knew Mike's primary goal was to align himself with Rex Ryan. They believe in each other a great deal and they're both very hard workers. I'm prejudiced, but I think this is going to work out great for us.

Below is a link to the story in our newspaper, which comes out of suburban Philadelphia. I realize all the New York papers will have it today, too, but here's ours:

[url]http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/119/2009/january/21/pettine-joins-ryan-sources-say-the-central-bucks-west-grad-will-receive-a-three-year-deal-to-serve-a.html[/url][/QUOTE]
    Excellent sources if it's true cuz I can't find the info anywhere.

Sutton is out then, Pettine is in. :rockon:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to get into to much info, because the Jets didn't want Mike to say anything until later today. Mike told the guy who wrote this story that he's taking a flight to New York at 6 a.m. today, and that Rex told him to bring a week's worth of clothes with him. This is a done deal. They just don't want to announce it until today, and we didn't want Mike to get off on the wrong foot with the organization.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL, ESPN, NYT and the Post haven't called it. If it's true, your word is gold :thumbup:

So Sutton is fired?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I heard/understand, this is a good hire.

Nice to be done with Sutton.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I don't know whether Sutton is fired. I just know he's out as the defensive coordinator, because that's going to be Mike Pettine. Whether he stays on as a linebackers coach, I don't know. I thought the most interesting thing from the story I linked is that Mike Pettine is likely the only defensive coach coming over from the Ravens. Of course, NFL coaches have a gentlemen's agreement to not stand in the way of promotions with another team. (Bill Belichick is not a gentleman, which is why he did not endorse Eric Mangini's hire by the Jets, but I digress.) Since a guy like Mark Carrier would have been going from being DB coach of the Ravens to DB coach of the Jets, it is a lateral move. The Ravens could block lateral moves. They didn't block Mike Pettine's move because it was a clear promotion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=J-E-F-F;2980770]Honestly, I don't know whether Sutton is fired. I just know he's out as the defensive coordinator, because that's going to be Mike Pettine. Whether he stays on as a linebackers coach, I don't know. I thought the most interesting thing from the story I linked is that Mike Pettine is likely the only defensive coach coming over from the Ravens. Of course, NFL coaches have a gentlemen's agreement to not stand in the way of promotions with another team. (Bill Belichick is not a gentleman, which is why he did not endorse Eric Mangini's hire by the Jets, but I digress.) Since a guy like Mark Carrier would have been going from being DB coach of the Ravens to DB coach of the Jets, it is a lateral move. The Ravens could block lateral moves. They didn't block Mike Pettine's move because it was a clear promotion.[/QUOTE]
    I posted the link on another Jets site to share info. Hope you don't mind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find. Excellent news. Rex gets a trusted right-hand man to handle on his D, while Rex has one eye on the big picture.

I expect that Rex will still be very involved in the D on gamedays, but it's good to know he has a guy who he trusts to help run his schemes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.baltimoreravens.com/~/media/68BB7AEAFD2A4129B7B7AA4CD3E51882.ashx[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.baltimoreravens.com/~/media/C0F98C8D3EC140638569BBDA0B38B520.ashx[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, Thanks for the post and hope this continues since it is nice to get real news about the team, this move was expected based on the relationship but good to see in writing

alos like that Rex is not raiding the ravens staff, respect

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear! With Pettine coming on board with Rex there will be consistency in the system and play calling. It will be interesting to see how things develop with FA's and the draft now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=J-E-F-F;2980763]I'm a Jets fan for 36 years now, and I'm happy to say it's the first time I've known a coach on their staff personally. I've known Mike Pettine since 1991, and I know we're getting a quality guy. I work at a newspaper in his hometown, and I covered many games when he was the coach of high school teams in our area. He's a good guy and a very intelligent, hard-working and dedicated guy. His father was one of the greatest high school coaches ever, and he was Mike's biggest influence.

[url]http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/119/2009/january/21/pettine-joins-ryan-sources-say-the-central-bucks-west-grad-will-receive-a-three-year-deal-to-serve-a.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Nice read Jeff and welcome to the best Jets site on the web......

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice scoopage!

Very encouraging news.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE="7"][B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]... J - E - F - F ... JEFF, JEFF, JEFF !!! ...
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ljr@work;2980798][SIZE="7"][B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]... J - E - F - F ... JEFF, JEFF, JEFF !!! ...
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I like it - thanks for the info Jeff :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Post Thanks / Like
    Any news that suggests the departure of Sutton is good news in my book.

Throw in the fact that Pettine has close ties with Ryan, and it becomes great news. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=J-E-F-F;2980763]I'm a Jets fan for 36 years now, and I'm happy to say it's the first time I've known a coach on their staff personally. I've known Mike Pettine since 1991, and I know we're getting a quality guy....

[URL]http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/119/2009/january/21/pettine-joins-ryan-sources-say-the-central-bucks-west-grad-will-receive-a-three-year-deal-to-serve-a.html[/URL][/quote]
    Thanks for your insight Jeff, nice to hear good things about the man from someone who knows him. Interesting that he will reportedly get a 3 year deal with Ryan reportedly getting a 4 year deal, I'm not sure if that is SOP or not.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;2980771]I posted the link on another Jets site to share info. Hope you don't mind.[/QUOTE]

Nah, he just won't share anymore info with us, ever again!!!! Way to go Frenchie!!! :D

Btw, thanks Jeff for the post. Good info!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God Sutton is GONE. Won't miss the 3-man rush prevent defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "ESPN'S Senior NFL Reporter Chris Mortensen has learned that Mike Pettine will be joining Rex Ryan's staff by agreeing to become the Jets new Defensive Coordinator."

You just know they will be taking credit and that will be scrolling across the bottom of the screen.