Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Any Beer brewers out there?

Hall Of Fame

OT: Any Beer brewers out there?

We are having a beer brewing-fest over a friends house Friday night, and 1 of the guys (and actually 1 of the women!) have brewed beer before, but the rest of us have not.

The brew-master has asked the rest of the crowd for recipie suggestions, and was just looking for pointers on do's and don'ts, if any of you guys have brewed before.

I think we are looking to do at least one Ale and at least one Pilsner/Lager, but would welcome and suggestions or alternatives.

When it comes to beer, pretty sure JI has some expertise.

TIA.

[QUOTE=JStokes;2980928]We are having a beer brewing-fest over a friends house Friday night, and 1 of the guys (and actually 1 of the women!) have brewed beer before, but the rest of us have not.

The brew-master has asked the rest of the crowd for recipie suggestions, and was just looking for pointers on do's and don'ts, if any of you guys have brewed before.

I think we are looking to do at least one Ale and at least one Pilsner/Lager, but would welcome and suggestions or alternatives.

When it comes to beer, pretty sure JI has some expertise.

TIA.[/QUOTE]

I was into years ago. Here's what I have learned:

----After the first time, drinking beer is WAY more fun than brewing it.

----Alot of dudes take it WAY too serious.

----In the long run, you save a ton of dough and get better beer at the store.

But hey...ENJOY!!!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2980952]I was into years ago. Here's what I have learned:

But hey...ENJOY!!![/QUOTE]

Concur on all your points, but this is a one time deal just for goofs, a reason to get together AND drink beer (somebody is bringing a bunch of Bavarian and Belgium beers).

And NO ONE in this crowd takes ANYTHING too seriously.

Quite frankly, I'm in charge of making my BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches, which is what i'm really looking forward to.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2®;2980952]I was into years ago. Here's what I have learned:

But hey...ENJOY!!![/QUOTE]

I did it once and it was great-but a lot of work. Everyone stresses how important the sanitary aspect is but since I was rookie, I seemed to have my entire arm in the brew half the time. Came out fine anyway.

Veteran
    I brew quite frequently. Its a lot of fun, but it is time consuming.

The first batch I made was a lager and I followed the exact recipe. However after that I have always deviated from the recipe.

I've made:

Molasses Stout
    Vanilla Stout
    Strawberry Honey Weizenbock
    Honey Weizenbock

Just remember the more sugar you add, the stronger the beer!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Mario;2981023]I brew quite frequently. Its a lot of fun, but it is time consuming.

The first batch I made was a lager and I followed the exact recipe. However after that I have always deviated from the recipe.

I've made:

Molasses Stout
    Vanilla Stout
    Honey Weizenbock

[B]Just remember the more sugar you add, the stronger the beer[/B]![QUOTE]

Great advice. When everyone isn't looking, I'll dump some more in. :D

I have two fermenting right now, a few cases conditioning and a few more waiting to be opened.

Patience is key, and RDWHAHB.

[QUOTE=JStokes;2981062][QUOTE=Mario;2981023]I brew quite frequently. Its a lot of fun, but it is time consuming.

I've made:

Molasses Stout
    Vanilla Stout
    Honey Weizenbock

Great advice. When everyone isn't looking, I'll dump some more in. :D[/QUOTE]

I'd lager, but I don't have the capability right now for the low temps required.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JStokes;2981062][QUOTE=Mario;2981023]I brew quite frequently. Its a lot of fun, but it is time consuming.

I've made:

Molasses Stout
    Vanilla Stout
    Honey Weizenbock

Some guys get to heavyhanded with the sugar and have their bottle caps blown off.:D

Great advice. When everyone isn't looking, I'll dump some more in. :D[/QUOTE]

Some guys get too heavy-handed with the sugar and have their bottle caps blown off.:D

Believe me I'm a big fan of alcohol, but if you go for too big of a buzz, the beer can end up tasting like medicine. High alcohol beer is a real art. Anything
    over 7 or 8 percent is tough.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;2981077][QUOTE=JStokes;2981062][QUOTE=Mario;2981023]I brew quite frequently. Its a lot of fun, but it is time consuming.

I've made:

Molasses Stout
    Vanilla Stout
    Honey Weizenbock

[B]Just remember the more sugar you add, the stronger the beer[/B]!

Some guys get too heavy-handed with the sugar and have their bottle caps blown off.:D

Believe me I'm a big fan of alcohol, but if you go for too big of a buzz, the beer can end up tasting like medicine. High alcohol beer is a real art. Anything
    over 7 or 8 percent is tough.[/QUOTE]

When you guys say "sugar", you are refering to the malt (or the miniscule amount used for carbonation), right? I hope no one is wasting their time home brewing partial malt/sugar beer :)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;2981095][QUOTE=Timmy®;2981077][QUOTE=JStokes;2981062]

When you guys say "sugar", you are refering to the malt (or the miniscule amount used for carbonation), right? I hope no one is wasting their time home brewing partial malt/sugar beer :)[/QUOTE]

Whatever form, my buddy tried to make a high alcohol belgian ale with special candy sugar. Lost a few caps and the beer tasted like Nyquil.:eek:

[QUOTE=Timmy®;2981077]

Whatever form, my buddy tried to make a high alcohol belgian ale with special candy sugar. Lost a few caps and the beer tasted like Nyquil.:eek:[/QUOTE]

That could be bottling too soon. Did he take gravity readings? Did he let it sit longer to see if it mellowed out? Time cures many a initially bad brews.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mario;2981023]

Just remember the more sugar you add, the stronger the beer!

[/QUOTE]

One of my neighbors is into this big time. He even travels across the country to attend brewfests.

Anyway, at our Christmas party this year at the house, he brought over another one of his concoctions.

It was a dark bock (not as bitter tasting as Guiness) that had a really good taste to it and he had it in one of those 22-oz European bottles.

He said to be careful because this was really pretty strong. Anyway, after drinking one 22-oz bottle, it felt like I drank a 12-pack.:eek:

I asked him what the alcohol content was and he said, "I don't know, but I used more than double the sugar I usually do".

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2981138]One of my neighbors is into this big time. He even travels across the country to attend brewfests.

Anyway, at our Christmas party this year at the house, he brought over another one of his concoctions.

It was a dark bock (not as bitter tasting as Guiness) that had a really good taste to it and he had it in one of those 22-oz European bottles.

He said to be careful because this was really pretty strong. Anyway, after drinking one 22-oz bottle, it felt like I drank a 12-pack.:eek:

I asked him what the alcohol content was and he said, "I don't know, but I used more than double the sugar I usually do".[/QUOTE]

Bocks are usually at least 9 lbs of fermentables. Most others are 5-7.

Banned
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;2981142]Bocks are usually at least 9 lbs of fermentables. Most others are 5-7.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what that means.

Is that why the beer was so strong?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2981138]One of my neighbors is into this big time. He even travels across the country to attend brewfests.

He said to be careful because this was really pretty strong. [B] Anyway, after drinking one 22-oz bottle, it felt like I drank a 12-pack[/B].:eek:

I asked him what the alcohol content was and he said, "I don't know, but I used more than double the sugar I usually do".[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny.

I think I'll leave the sugar content to the brew-master. We're storing it at my buddies house, don't want to lose any caps and have to help him clean it up.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2981151]I don't know what that means.

Is that why the beer was so strong?[/QUOTE]

Yup. The more fermentable sugars, the more food the yeast has to convert to alcohol.

Banned
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;2981166]Yup. The more fermentable sugars, the more food the yeast has to convert to alcohol.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[QUOTE=JStokes;2981155]Pretty funny.

I think I'll leave the sugar content to the brew-master. We're storing it at my buddies house, don't want to lose any caps and have to help him clean it up.[/QUOTE]

It's not the initial sugar content that blows bottles. It's either bottling too soon...leaving a bunch of sugar to still be fermented in the bottle or over doing your priming sugar. Gravity readings will prevent bottle blasts (except for over-priming).

Undrafted Free Agent
    Been brewing for about 8 years, all grain the last 3. Can be very time consuming but most work is in clean up. You might want to do an IPA for your first brew. Very straight forward and hard to screw up.