Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Rex: Not Tuna, Not Buddy... He's the 2009 version of...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Rex: Not Tuna, Not Buddy... He's the 2009 version of...

[IMG]http://img.nytstore.com/IMAGES/NSAP121_LARGE.JPG[/IMG]

[B]John Madden[/B]

The longer he talked, the more I realized he was John Madden reincarnated.

Now we get to see if Madden's philosophy translates to the modern game. He doesn't strike me as an X and O guy.

He's about fundamentals, effort and attitude.

It's critical to have good coordinators, but now more than ever, he needs to surround himself with talent. If he doesn't, we are toast.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 01-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same thing. He has a similar husky voice and is overweight with grey hair. However Rex is a big Xs and Os guy on the defensive side of the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2981327]It's critical to have good coordinators, but now more than ever, he needs to surround himself with talent. If he doesn't, we are toast.[/QUOTE]

When is it not critical?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2981327][B]John Madden[/B]

Now we get to see if Madden's philosophy translates to the modern game. He doesn't strike me as an X and O guy.

It's critical to have good coordinators, but now more than ever, he needs to surround himself with talent. If he doesn't, we are toast.[/quote]

You can tell this from a 30 minute news conference??? :eek:

Admittedly he stressed fundamentals, but that doesn't mean he is not an X and O guy. Let's wait to see him in action before we start pigeon-holing him.

As for good coordinators and talent, it is always important to have those things.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;2981354]You can tell this from a 30 minute news conference??? :eek:

Admittedly he stressed fundamentals, but that doesn't mean he is not an X and O guy. Let's wait to see him in action before we start pigeon-holing him.

As for good coordinators and talent, it is always important to have those things.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, and I agree to a point. But not once during his 30 minutes did he mention Xs and Os or offensive defensive philosophy beyond attitude.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said this in the Press Confernce thread. I don't know about the "X's and O's" part, but he did remind me of John Madden just in the way he spoke about football. I think it's because Madden always spoke with such great enthusiasm about the rough and tumble aspects of pro football and Rex had the same kind of attitude. It's like they both have a love affair with football where a bad day coaching football is better than a good day doing anything else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He knows defense thats for sure. We will need a good OC, but defensively we should be fine with Rex Ryan. Hes an attacker on defense one of the innovative minds in football defensively. Very creative the way he creates blitzes. I think hiring Mike Pettine as DC was a good move as they are already on the same page. Hopefully Schottenheimer stays as OC, don't like any of the other guys and at least he has 3 years of experience to fall back on. Ryan will have him run a run oriented offense also. Create a identity, unlike Mangini's style of changing to the opponent and not having a identity.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;2981490]He knows defense thats for sure. We will need a good OC, but defensively we should be fine with Rex Ryan. Hes an attacker on defense one of the innovative minds in football defensively. Very creative the way he creates blitzes. I think hiring Mike Pettine as DC was a good move as they are already on the same page. Hopefully Schottenheimer stays as OC, don't like any of the other guys and at least he has 3 years of experience to fall back on. Ryan will have him run a run oriented offense also. Create a identity, unlike Mangini's style of changing to the opponent and not having a identity.[/QUOTE]

The thing that struck me was Rex's level of candor. He was the ant-mangini. Talking about how he felt losing the Ravens HC spot - he used the word "betrayed" - and how he "got over himself" and today is more ready to be HC than he was a year ago. Spoke volumes for me. The best part of the press conference imo.

So altho I wouldn't be heartbroken if Schotty decided to bolt. Ultimately, I think he will stay. His offense is installed and his HC is a D coach who will likely give him plenty of lattitude. Maybe assistant HC title.

That way if we are successful everyone wins. Groom a new OC, Shotty gets a gig and you're able to keep continuity.

The other thing I think I think....

If Schotty's offense stays, and after talking to Rex, Favre will be back.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [B]He is John Candy[/B]:D

[IMG]http://www.memoram.com/John_Candy_blackSHOP.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.msueagles.com/uploads/photo1-1-19-2009-18-26-54.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually did think the exact same thing during the press conference. I think it was when he said who wouldn't want Brett Favre to he their QB? lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said this in main thread..but I only think in his mannerisms.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;2981538][B]He is John Candy[/B]:D

[IMG]http://www.memoram.com/John_Candy_blackSHOP.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.msueagles.com/uploads/photo1-1-19-2009-18-26-54.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL!

T-Rex = The Candyman...say The Candyman three times and...:devil3::devil::devil3:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2981457]Fair enough, and I agree to a point. But not once during his 30 minutes did he mention Xs and Os or offensive defensive philosophy beyond attitude.[/QUOTE]

When have you ever heard an actual coach discuss his X's and O's philosophy publicly to the media? To the owner yes. But publicly? No. Find me one instance where that has occured?>

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=24;2981651]When have you ever heard an actual coach discuss his X's and O's philosophy publicly to the media? To the owner yes. But publicly? No. Find me one instance where that has occured?>[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember Mangini discussing defensive strategy during his intro, and i distincly remember Herm discussing Cover 2 in between sweeping the corners and other incoherent statements.

I can't speak for other team's press conferences.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2981661]I seem to remember Mangini discussing defensive strategy during his intro, and i distincly remember Herm discussing Cover 2 in between sweeping the corners and other incoherent statements.

I can't speak for other team's press conferences.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say thats giving any details of a scheme...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2981327][IMG]http://img.nytstore.com/IMAGES/NSAP121_LARGE.JPG[/IMG]

[B]John Madden[/B]

It's critical to have good coordinators, but now more than ever, he needs to surround himself with talent. If he doesn't, we are toast.[/QUOTE]

i thought the same thing!!