Thread: Affliction 2...anyone excited?

Affliction 2...anyone excited?

Going to my cousins around 5 to watch the under card followed by the main event...should be a great night of MMA action. My top fights in bold:

Main Card

Andrei Arlovski (14-5) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (28-1) ( Main Event)
    Josh Barnett (23-5) vs. Gilbert Yvel (35-12-1)

Vitor Belfort (17-8) vs. Matt Lindland (21-5)
    Thierry Sokoudjou (5-3) vs. Renato Sobral (31-7)
    Chris Horodecki (12-1) vs. Dan Lauzon (11-2)

Undercard on (HDNet TV)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueria (14-3) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (21-3)
    Jay Hieron (16-4) vs. Jason High (6-0)
    Kiril Sidellnikov (4-2) vs. Paul Buentello (26-10)
    Mark Hominick (16-8) vs. LC Davis (11-1)
    Albert Rios (10-3) vs. Antonio Duarte (10-1)
    Brett Cooper (7-4) vs. Patrick Speight (7-1)

Great card. Looking foward to the Belfort Fight. He looks very good at 185 and he is training with Randy...Last fight against Martin they were all over him. That is what Vitor needs,people pushing him.

Can I come over to watch, I don't want to pay to see this card especially with BJ/St.Pierre II next weekend.

Watching rerun of the weigh ins now, pretty damn good card. I wouldn't say the best but pretty good. I'll watch it online somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Can I come over to watch, I don't want to pay to see this card especially with BJ/St.Pierre II next weekend.
    I'm paying for that one! Hope it's going to be a good fight. I'm a BJ fan (no ghey) but I think Georges is gonna roll right through him. Love your sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I'm paying for that one! Hope it's going to be a good fight. I'm a BJ fan (no ghey) but I think Georges is gonna roll right through him. Love your sig!
    I have to disagree, B.J if in shape will break Georges will. Georges admitted he was scared to come out for the 2nd round but B.J didn't have the gas to keep the pressure on. Georges wrestling is better but that is it, we saw what his face looked like after round 1 of boxing.
    I guess will have to wait and see...To the death Georges,i'm coming to kill you. ANd i'm not joking...lol. Gotta love B.J.

lol i'll run it by my cousin....but make contingency plans just in case

this is definitely a great card for a true MMA fan...UFC is great an all but you just don't see the international talent in the UFC like you do in affliction...many people will watch this for the top 2 or 3 fights....but i am excited about the under card as much as the main events.

As far as BJ and GSP....outside of Anderson BJ is the best in the business i see this fight going 3 rounds only because of GSP's defense and stamina...but BJ should be the clear favorite...also i am AS excited at Kenny Florian fighting BJ as anything....

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Not a loaded card like the last Affliction, but some good matchups. Lindland is fun to watch with that weird fighting style. I'm suprised Noguera is fighting again, he just got a pretty good beatdown from Mir what, two weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Not a loaded card like the last Affliction, but some good matchups. Lindland is fun to watch with that weird fighting style. I'm suprised Noguera is fighting again, he just got a pretty good beatdown from Mir what, two weeks ago?
    His brother fought Mir....yeah and he got stopped for the 1st time. Rumor has it that he had just gotten over a staph infection and that lead to the poor performance...

As far as the B.J fight i belive it is 5 rounds not 3...so we will see if B.J can hold up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jack1021` View Post
    His brother fought Mir....
    Ah, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    lol i'll run it by my cousin....but make contingency plans just in case

this is definitely a great card for a true MMA fan...UFC is great an all but you just don't see the international talent in the UFC like you do in affliction...many people will watch this for the top 2 or 3 fights....but i am excited about the under card as much as the main events.

As far as BJ and GSP....outside of Anderson BJ is the best in the business i see this fight going 3 rounds only because of GSP's defense and stamina...but BJ should be the clear favorite...also i am AS excited at Kenny Florian fighting BJ as anything....
    Gonna try with Justin.Tv to get a feed, and watch the fight on Hbo at the same time. Watching the undercard now. I hope Babolu gets his head kicked in.

You think GSP beats BJ, I think BJ is going to win and handily. If BJ comes in with the same discipline he's had in his last two fights, GSP doesn't stand a chance.

post fight thoughts....

Main Card

Andrei Arlovski (14-5) vs. Fedor Emelianenko (28-1) ( Main Event)

This must be what people who matched Rocky Marciano felt. Fedor is bar none the greatest fighter in history of MMA, and he showed it again tonight. You have to love a guy who comes to the ring in fighting shorts and a tee, doesn't have any tatoos proclaiming his greatness or his affinity to god..and just takes care of business 10 years running. Part of the blame has to go to Orlovsky no doubt, i mean a flying knee really? i know the eyes get big after Fedor stumbles back a bit but you have to be better then that....you have to respect Fedor more then that. The thing that impressed me the most about Fedor in his last few fights is the lack of wasted motion. Watch the fight again, every punch he threw was a result of 6-7 seconds of planning...and of course the last one was a complete reflex and closed the deal.

Josh Barnett (23-5) vs. Gilbert Yvel (35-12-1)

Barnett looked terrible to my surprise, you just cant have a completely dominant position like he had every single round for 3 minutes each and not close the guy out. My cousin and i kept joking that he would get knocked out while on top...which i have personally never seen. Major props go to Yvel...the guy has no ground game or take down defense whatsoever and was taken down easily in all 3 rounds but took punch after punch after punch and i believe almost broke Barnett's nose while on the bottom.

Vitor Belfort (17-8) vs. Matt Lindland (21-5)

This was a scary fight, Lindland got knocked out and it took a while for him to wake up...and when he attempted to his head turned purple and he got a horrific nosebleed (note, his nose was not bleeding at the time of the knockout). Anyhow, glad to see he is ok...but man this was a scary thing to watch. Note to paramedics...when a guy is out and convulsing and cant move.... don't let him try and stand up.

Thierry Sokoudjou (5-3) vs. Renato Sobral (31-7)

I think its safe to call the Sokoudjue experiment a failure. The guy has to either get a knockout in the first round or he gets winded in the second every single time. I really thought he would have more success with his return to the ring but once again he was a disappointment. Babalu on the other hand is on one heck of a streak and could be back where he belongs in the standings.

Chris Horodecki (12-1) vs. Dan Lauzon (11-2)

Horodecki pulled out because of a neck condition, Lauzon fought a kid named Bobby Green...boring fight unless you enjoy seeing another man get kicked in the nuts 3 times (the last one was iffy). Green put up a nice effort on short notice, but once he had 2 points taken from him for the low blows he lost his focus and ended up in the rear naked choke.

Undercard on (HDNet TV)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueria (14-3) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (21-3)

Surprise of the night for me, Matyushenko looked good but so did Nogueria...and Matyushenko got cought. One thing that bothers me is the fact that Matyushenko...a wrestler... basically fought a stand up fight not sure if that was the best strategy. Considering the horrific loss big brother suffered at the hands of Frank Mir is it too early to call little Nog...the good one?

Jay Hieron (16-4) vs. Jason High (6-0)

fight not televised...bummer.

Kiril Sidellnikov (4-2) vs. Paul Buentello (26-10)

This was some fight. Baby Fedor took as many punches to the face as i have ever seen anyone take, and yet he refused to attempt a take down on a guy who basically has no ground game....confusing to say the least. I would have thought with all the Sambo background, and sparring sessions with Fedor his primary focus would be to get Buentello to the ground. Anyhow, Buentello looked good and gave the 20 year old kid a lesson...while living up to his nickname of the "head hunter".

Mark Hominick (16-8) vs. LC Davis (11-1)

Hominick was another guy who pulled out, and Bao Quach who took the fight on short notice did well i thought...in the end LC was too much and he got a unanomouse decision.

Albert Rios (10-3) vs. Antonio Duarte (10-1)

Didn't get to see this fight, but it ended in a decision.

Brett Cooper (7-4) vs. Patrick Speight (7-1)

Cooper has a nack for getting the big knockout, and he did again today. Not a fight i was paying much attention to but it was entertaining and ended with a knockout.

All in all, a great card. I guess we are going to see Fedor take on Barnett next (who else is left?) but i cant say i am excited about the fight considering the way Barnett looked tonight. Fedor is just on another planet from everyone else and its evident more and more in every fight.
    Last edited by K-Met57; 01-25-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Gonna try with Justin.Tv to get a feed, and watch the fight on Hbo at the same time. Watching the undercard now. I hope Babolu gets his head kicked in.

You think GSP beats BJ, I think BJ is going to win and handily. If BJ comes in with the same discipline he's had in his last two fights, GSP doesn't stand a chance.
    I think BJ wins for sure, i do think the fight may go the distance since both fighters have great stamina and great defense.

Great showing by Fedor. He took Arlovski out the air like it were a video game. If you want to check out the payouts/salaries, I posted them here:
    http://www.postwhoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884

Funny how Affliction pays more than UFC. Dana is notoriously cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by kloogy View Post
    Great showing by Fedor. He took Arlovski out the air like it were a video game. If you want to check out the payouts/salaries, I posted them here:
    http://www.postwhoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884

Funny how Affliction pays more than UFC. Dana is notoriously cheap.
    Fedor needs to fire his manager...WTF is with 300k? he should be making a truck load per fight.

EDIT: just saw that he makes % of the gate...wonder what his number really looks like.
    Last edited by K-Met57; 01-25-2009 at 11:16 PM.

After it's all said and done, he will take home more than Arlovski.