Thread: Fire Bettman!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Fire Bettman!

The sport is starving for fans and he takes a break on the same weekend as the NFL. Brilliant!

Jets Insider VIP
    The All-Star game has become a joke. I don't know why they bother anymore. The hooking penalty on Komisarek was the first penalty called in an All-Star game since 2000!

All League
    What channel was the AS game even on? They couldn't even get it on ESPN2?!

All League
    What? That was a real fun game!

Although, I'm all for scrapping the game itself. They should just do the skills competition and invite more people, it's no secret that's where the only fun is. With this new wave of players though, it's definately going to attract more people, especially with Ovechkin around.

Did you guys get the Bettman/MacLean interview, or was that only CBC feed?
    They always make for an interesting interview, you can tell Bettman is no fan of his. Guy doesn't hesitate to say anything, especially about Jim Balslile (sp?). Bettman really likes to beat around the bushes when that name is brought up. He claims that Jim retracted his bid, which is more than laughable... he was seeking legal action against the NHL for refusing him a team on the grounds of "suspicion he'll move it to Canada", but they predetermined Bettman was in the right.

Bettman has always been shady with his business though. It was interesting to hear him say "Relocation is the absolute last resort" when he had no problem moving Quebec and Winnipeg south of the border after denying them time to recoup losses, yet has given Phoenix (who was far better off in Winnipeg, you know, not losing over $40mm a year) a complete write off, and took his sweet time to deny the fact that they're losing any money, calling it simply untrue. Which is certainly not what the owner himself said.

His bull**** about recession was pretty hard to listen to aswell. Oh well though, every true hockey fan has been calling for this guys head for over a decade. He get's a free pass over the idea that he's good for the business, even if bad for the sport.

TBH though, jumba, anybody who doesn't watch hockey isn't going to just start with a regular game during a total BYE in the NFL. Some flashy words like "All Star" will definately attract more. So, it's not a terrible move.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    The sport is starving for fans and he takes a break on the same weekend as the NFL. Brilliant!
    Jumba,

I worked almost 10 years for the NHL till they laid me off in August because they were "restructuring". For those of us who slept in our offices and spent countless hours trying to produce video that would attract people to the game never saw the light of day, it was the ultimate slap in the face. The next time he talks about grossing 2.2 bill yada, yada, yada, it's all a front. They know nobody watches and they don't care. Bettman rakes in 6 mil a year and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Jets Insider VIP
    NHL Hockey is as dead as the Betamax tape recorder!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    What channel was the AS game even on? They couldn't even get it on ESPN2?!
    Versus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    What? That was a real fun game!

Although, I'm all for scrapping the game itself. They should just do the skills competition and invite more people, it's no secret that's where the only fun is. With this new wave of players though, it's definately going to attract more people, especially with Ovechkin around.
    Sorry Steel. I disagree. I remember when the game was played and the guys actually skated hard and threw a few light hits now and then. It felt like an old timers game the way they all stood around and let one guy cruise around with the puck. I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt but if they're going to play like that, why bother having a game. Just do the skills competitions. If I were a casual fan, I would not be attracted to the game after watching 3 periods of patty cakes.

Veteran
    I'm in moscow right now and the allstar game was aired here. Unfortunately have some jetlag going on, so I was up anyway. It was pretty cool seeing this with russian announcers. Oddly there were no commercials. During the breaks it went to a view from the upper level until play resumed. Ironically I was in moscow 2 weeks ago when they aired the KHL allstar game. Saw jagr and yashin. There were probably others but the names were in russian spelling. The KHL game was played outdoors by the kremlin and it was like 10F degrees.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Sorry Steel. I disagree. I remember when the game was played and the guys actually skated hard and threw a few light hits now and then. It felt like an old timers game the way they all stood around and let one guy cruise around with the puck. I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt but if they're going to play like that, why bother having a game. Just do the skills competitions. If I were a casual fan, I would not be attracted to the game after watching 3 periods of patty cakes.
    Isn't that what I said?

I get that it took two different paths to get there, but fact is - they're going to play like pussies at the game, and with the size of dude's nowadays, I wouldn't want my stars out there getting wrecked, so meh.

Casual fans of hockey are already less than fringe anyways, I just pity anyone that takes the time to hate it without ever going to an actual game. Don't know what they're missing.

edit: er, I guess you were disagreeing about the game being fun, oh well.
    Last edited by Steel7; 01-27-2009 at 03:50 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    There were probably others but the names were in russian spelling.
    Hint; he drives a hummer and assualts elders on freeways in Ottawa. Leads the KHL in all golatending departments. And is the only black guy in the entire league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Isn't that what I said?

I get that it took two different paths to get there, but fact is - they're going to play like pussies at the game, and with the size of dude's nowadays, I wouldn't want my stars out there getting wrecked, so meh.

Casual fans of hockey are already less than fringe anyways, I just pity anyone that takes the time to hate it without ever going to an actual game. Don't know what they're missing.

edit: er, I guess you were disagreeing about the game being fun, oh well.
    I guess I disagreed with the part where you said it was a real fun game. Nice to see the big boys all together but the game was boring to me. The best part was when they were talking to a miked up St. Louis and then he says, "Sorry boys, I gotta get on the ice." He hops over the boards, can't handle the long breakaway pass, goes, "Ah heck," and then regroups the puck and scores on the wraparound. That almost felt scripted. Pretty cool.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Angry

TBH though, jumba, anybody who doesn't watch hockey isn't going to just start with a regular game during a total BYE in the NFL. Some flashy words like "All Star" will definately attract more. So, it's not a terrible move.
    If they're looking for new fans, airing the game on versus won't get it done. Bowling was on ESPN2 and got similar ratings. I'd surmise that playing regular games would sum up to better ratings. I was stuck with X-Games and women's tennis all weekend. That really pissed me off. Why not hold another lockout and see how that goes over? &*%$ Bettman.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    If they're looking for new fans, airing the game on versus won't get it done. Bowling was on ESPN2 and got similar ratings. I'd surmise that playing regular games would sum up to better ratings. I was stuck with X-Games and women's tennis all weekend. That really pissed me off. Why not hold another lockout and see how that goes over? &*%$ Bettman.
    I haven't heard much good about versus, seems a little weird to not try and atleast appeal to another sports channel. Not a knock on bowling, but that does seem far-fetched, methinks.

Anyways, like every true hockey discussion, it always ends with **** Bettman. Dude is clueless.