Thread: Panama Lewis (Luis Resto), Part II?

All League

Panama Lewis (Luis Resto), Part II?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...als-found.html

Antonio Margarito - shame on you! Was Panama Lewis in your corner? We now have to question all of Tony's victories. At the very least, they deserve an *

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Strangely enough I was at that fight when Panama Lewis removed the padding from his fighters gloves, it happened at MSG and I was there, I think it was on the under-card of a Mancini fight, or it might have been the under-card of Duran Vs Davey Moore, I'm not sure which or if it was another fight, but I was definitely there and that other fighter got brutalized, his face looked like it went through a meat grinder, ironically a lot like Miguel Cotto's face following his fight with Margarito .. VERY SIMILAR .. his face was all busted up the same way and I don't believe that kid ever fought again, too much damage was done to his face
    Luis Resto vs Billy Collins. Collins ended up committing suicide if I'm not mistaken. Sad, sad story.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Luis Resto vs Billy Collins. Collins ended up committing suicide if I'm not mistaken. Sad, sad story.
    No. He didn't commit suicide, but his life was ruined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Collins_(boxer)
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 01-25-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Dude got his ass kicked, but he always bounced back up. He can take a punch.

All League
    Panama Lewis was a dirty scumbag who didn't give two ****s about the fight game....If you remember, he was also involved in the infamous "bottle" incident during Pryor v. Arguello I.

"Loading" gloves goes way back in organized boxing under the Marques of Queensbury rules....I have a Sports Illustrated in my collection from 1964 where they go in depth regarding the Dempsey v. Willard fight in 1919 where Dempsey and his handlers were accused of replacing the baby powder used to sprinkle the hand wraps, with plaster of paris so the wraps would quickly harden as Dempsey's hand perspired.

However, the fighters dressing room's in today's world are full of people from both camps, including the commission, to witness the method in which the hands are wrapped....I've been in many high profile dressing rooms during this process and I would be VERY surprised if any fighter would be capable of loading gloves.

All League
    Last edited by simijet; 01-29-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I have no proof so I can't say for sure, but do I believe Cotto got Panama Lewis'ed?

YES, I DO

His face got butchered that nite verses Margarito and it really did seem like Margarito was hitting him in the face with bricks, very much like Resto Vs Collins on both counts, very reminicent of that fight and Collins face in the immediate aftermath, same exact kind of butchering, in retrospect it could not have been more similar

I thought Margarito was just heavy handed and just butchered Cotto to that degree, but now, in light of what he got caught trying to pull with Mosley, I do believe Cotto got Panama'ed in that fight
    I don't see the comparison Hammer and i remember the Resto/Collins fight pretty well...

Cotto lost that fight due to his gameplan and the fact he couldn’t even make Margarito flinch let alone hurt him...Was Margarito’s chin loaded that night to? Take it from someone who has been in Cotto’s position, the most demoralizing thing that can happen to you in that ring is hitting the other guy with everything you got for 6 rounds and him not being even remotely hurt...He’s still at 100% in round 8 walking through everything you throw at him like your hands are the equivalent of a fly crashing into his face...You on the other hand are running low on gas, grasping for air, reeling and taking a beating...That is exactly what happened to Cotto and if you were to ask him I bet he would tell you the beating he took mentally was worse than the one he took physically hence why he hasn't fought again since that night...If Cotto were to get a rematch and go with the same gameplan the result would be the same imo...It was a flawed gameplan from the jump, he could never execute that for a full 12 rounds because he doesn't have the legs for it...Cotto is not a dancer, he's an in your face gut pounder...

It's also worth mentioning Margarito was cleared of any wrong doing by the Nevada state boxing commission (something Louis Resto wasn’t by the New York State BC)...That may not mean anything to you but the fact is unless you have a time machine to go back and get those handwraps you have no credible argument...You can assume and draw comparisons to other fights all you want but you can’t prove a thing...There have been hundreds upon hundreds of guys in the history of this sport on the losing end of a fight who have looked far worse than Cotto did that night so the whole "he looked really cut up" argument doesn't hold even an ounce of weight either...