Thread: The Mankok Era about to begin in Cleveland

All League

The Mankok Era about to begin in Cleveland

Mankok is such a great name for the Browns regime. Just thought it deserved its own thread.:)

Kokinis, Browns Near Deal
    Combined Wire Services | The Hartford Courant
    January 25, 2009
    Wethersfield native George Kokinis is closer to becoming general manager of the Browns, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Saturday.

The paper reported Friday's firing of Browns director of player personnel T.J. McCreight clears the way for Kokinis. McCreight was one of five candidates for the Browns' GM vacancy.

Kokinis, 41, a longtime friend of new Browns coach Eric Mangini, spent Monday and Tuesday at the team's headquarters meeting with Mangini, a Hartford native.

McCreight had almost the same role in Cleveland that Kokinis had in Baltimore as pro personnel director. He assisted in scouting, oversaw unrestricted free agency and assisted in draft preparations.

[url]http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sports/hc-nflup0125.artjan25,0,7789804.story[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;2986489]

Mankok

[/QUOTE]

Wow, TOO funny.

Just imagine the different take on the Micheal Kaye song "Mangenius".

"He's not a Man...he's not a kok...He's Man-kok".

:D

Wethersfield, CT? I grew up there. I wonder what part he was from.

If it was Tangini here, wouldn't it be Kokgini?

Or would it be Manginis?

Either way, :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Aside from the obviously funny Mankok moniker, does anyone else find it interesting that the Browns hired a personnel guy from the Ravens as their GM?

Why do I get the feeling that the Jets and Browns will now be battling over some potential Ravens players?

All League
    [quote=Jordy;2987517]Aside from the obviously funny Mankok moniker, does anyone else find it interesting that the Browns hired a personnel guy from the Ravens as their GM?

[B]Why do I get the feeling that the Jets and Browns will now be battling over some potential Ravens players?[/B] [/quote]

This is only speculation on my part, but I would think a player would be more inclined to follow a coach than a personnel guy. Surely, they have way more contact with a coach and are much more likely to develop a personal relationship.

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote=Jet Blast;2987584]This is only speculation on my part, but I would think a player would be more inclined to follow a coach than a personnel guy. Surely, they have way more contact with a coach and are much more likely to develop a personal relationship.[/quote]

I agree. I'm just thinking out loud and wondering if this played a part in Mangini's thinking. It won't stop the Browns from trying. It'll be interesting to see how many former Ravens wind up on the Jets and/or Browns.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;2987584]This is only speculation on my part, but I would think a player would be more inclined to follow a coach than a personnel guy. Surely, they have way more contact with a coach and are much more likely to develop a personal relationship.[/QUOTE]

I also think with more teams now switching to the 3-4 (Denver, Green Bay) there will be ridiculous competition for these Ravens free agents this off season.