Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Care About The X-Games?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Do You Care About The X-Games?

Its been on ESPN all day and I'm trying to understand why people like it. The crashes are cool and [URL="http://www.fandome.com/video/108841/Levi-LaVallee-Attempts-The-Double-Backflip/?q=k"]Levi LaVallee's Double Back-Flip was absurd.[/URL] Still, I feel like its really overrated. I'm usually bored by winter sports.

Are you guys watching the X-Games? If not, how are you getting by with no football today?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the highlights, but can't sit through the actual telecasts.

The double backflips and such are incredible, but that's about 12 seconds out of the 4 hours that it's on. Unbearable.

I also like watching the lady snowboarders fall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a ****ing snowmobile... that's outrageous.

I don't find any of it that interesting, but I guess they're getting ratings since they've done this for like 15 years or whatever. Then again, I've never skied or snowboarded, to each his own.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have to look at extreme sports as sports of consequence. When they screw up, they maybe done for good but these kids keep pushing and you gotta like that. something about an athlete knowing they have a 1 and 5 chance to land a dangerous trick and still going for it that I can appreciate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The dirt bikes in the summer are pretty sweet. Not the racing, that sucks. The tricks. That Travis Pastrana kid is alright.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love watching the snowboarding Super Pipe. Shaun White makes it look soooo easy its sick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;2986680]you have to look at extreme sports as sports of consequence. When they screw up, they maybe done for good but these kids keep pushing and you gotta like that. something about an athlete knowing they have a 1 and 5 chance to land a dangerous trick and still going for it that I can appreciate.[/QUOTE]

+1... if you can appreciate the risk they all take, its pretty cool to watch. Some of the big tricks are f'n incredible... though it's only possible to take so much of these X-Games play-by-play announcers before you wanna blow your f'n head off....:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetChefJR;2986690]I love watching the snowboarding Super Pipe. Shaun White makes it look soooo easy its sick.[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool to watch the crippled guys race on skis too... all power to em

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The para skiers were the best! 3 out of 4 wiped out, and the leader was a 42-year old taking his sweet time getting down the course. One of the guys who wiped out and was on the wrong side of a bump (i.e. he had to go uphill before he could go downhill) somehow caught up to him by taking crazy chances. Those skis looked like they could have used even bigger shock absorbers.

Aside from that, the "look at me, everybody" and faux slacker dude mentality makes watching the X-Games tedious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2986719]The para skiers were the best! 3 out of 4 wiped out, and the leader was a 42-year old taking his sweet time getting down the course. One of the guys who wiped out and was on the wrong side of a bump (i.e. he had to go uphill before he could go downhill) somehow caught up to him by taking crazy chances. Those skis looked like they could have used even bigger shock absorbers.

[B]Aside from that, the "look at me, everybody" and faux slacker dude mentality makes watching the X-Games tedious.[/B][/QUOTE]

Not to mention hearing the word 'stoked' every 10 seconds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    shaun white did not deserve that gold

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No. Bad plan by Bettman. Would rather watch real hockey than meaningless(at this point) hoops.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i snowboard and i skateboard, and you guys are right you have to do these sports to truely appreciate them. And please dont take the x games as a true representation of snowboarders and skateboarders, the guys who particapate in these events make up a very small percentage of pros, and its usually the worst most corny guys who particapate in these types of events, its like holding TO and Bill Romanoski as an example for all football players. Most of us are just normal guys who just happen to enjoy a different past time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=the vilmanator;2986952]i snowboard and i skateboard, and you guys are right you have to do these sports to truely appreciate them. And please dont take the x games as a true representation of snowboarders and skateboarders, the guys who particapate in these events make up a very small percentage of pros, and its usually the worst most corny guys who particapate in these types of events, its like holding TO and Bill Romanoski as an example for all football players. Most of us are just normal guys who just happen to enjoy a different past time[/QUOTE]

Good point.

I think i could kill Sal Maskela.

Other than that, the superpipe and slope style are the best.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I only watch sports, not "sports".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What are X-Games?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, look... they're jumping and spinning again... :rolleyes: yea!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;2987002]What are X-Games?[/QUOTE]

Games played by X-Men -
    [SIZE="7"]WOLVERINE!!!![/SIZE]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No offense but probably for most posting on this thread it does not matter if you watch the X-Games or not, because a very desirable advertising demographic both watches and attends.

I agree with the general sentiment that the telecast itself can be tough to watch but I usually tune in for a bit here and there throughout to catch the finals for a few events.

Though I am now into my third decade on this planet as a kid i grew up on snowboarding, surfing, skating and riding my both my BMX and beloved 125 cc. Having suffered numerous bumps, bruises, breaks and tears attempting things far less difficult on many of those pieces of equipment, my admiration for how incredible the skill level on display in the X games is very high

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;2987002]What are X-Games?[/QUOTE]

I came in here thinking it was some kind of Olympics for adult film stars. :mad: