Thread: Suggs Sugests That He, Lewis, and Scott Should Give the Ravens a Home Team Discount

Suggs Sugests That He, Lewis, and Scott Should Give the Ravens a Home Team Discount

[url]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens26jan26,0,872907.story[/url]

Just days after Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said he hoped star linebacker Ray Lewis would take a "hometown discount" on his next contract and end his career with the Ravens, Terrell Suggs went a step further.

Suggs suggested that he and fellow linebackers Lewis and Bart Scott could all remain with the Ravens if they give the team a discount.

Suggs, Lewis and Scott can become unrestricted free agents at the end of February.

"We really don't want to play without one another because we've been playing together for so long," Suggs told Sirius NFL radio.

Bisciotti also said last week that the team wouldn't use the franchise tag on Lewis but hoped the 10-time Pro Bowl linebacker would re-sign.

Now that the Ravens don't intend to use the tag on Lewis, it will be interesting to see whether they put it on Suggs again. If they applied the tag to him next month, they would have to pay him 120percent of his 2008 salary for one season ($10.2million).

But Suggs, who led the Ravens with eight sacks during the regular season and was selected to his third Pro Bowl, said he wouldn't be tempted to go elsewhere if he became a free agent.

"Not at the cost of leaving Baltimore," Suggs said. "If they treat me fair, then it shouldn't be a problem. I have all the faith in the world that they'll do that. I think they'll address all three of us with what they see as fair. I think if all three of us can come in the middle and form an agreement, then we shouldn't have a problem.

"We've already seen one of our other brothers [linebacker Adalius Thomas] walk. We really don't want to see too many more of us walk away from the city of Baltimore. Hopefully we all can stay, definitely, on a home discount."

Even if the linebackers stay, there will be big changes on defense for the Ravens, who lost defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and linebackers coach Mike Pettine to the New York Jets.

Suggs said he played in the AFC championship game with an injured shoulder that was about 35percent to 40percent and still sacked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice.

But he indicated that he wouldn't need surgery.

"All I got to do is work and get it back healthy so I can train this offseason," Suggs said.

Hall Of Fame
    The NFL needs more players like this.

actually pro sports needs more players like this.

this is nice of Suggs to say but if he doesnt get the offer he wants, he isn't going to accept any low ball offer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[quote=NYJETS3233;2987209]this is nice of Suggs to say but if he doesnt get the offer he wants, he isn't going to accept any low ball offer.[/quote]

Neither are any of their slimy ass & greedy Bob Sugar agents. Don't forget all hell could break loose if the CBA issues are not resolved by next season. I think Lewis, Suggs, Scott and any other Ravens players should take a serious look at coming to play for Rex & the NY Jets. Maryland is close enough to NJ where these players don't really need to leave there "hometown" in order to play pro ball. ;)

[QUOTE]The NFL needs more players like this.

actually pro sports needs more players like this.[/QUOTE]

Great point.... its all about bieng a team first in the NFL... as you can see though the year with Washington... you just can't go out and buy a championship... Baltimore has something special going on for their players to make statments to the press like this... its very bold.... and the maybe the front office is happy to hear this.... but the Fans... Ravens Fans must be pumped to hear that thier guys aren't looking for the $$$$ thier looking for the ring....

[QUOTE=NYJETS3233;2987209]this is nice of Suggs to say but if he doesnt get the offer he wants, he isn't going to accept any low ball offer.[/QUOTE]

In the words of George Young. It's always about the money.
    He will go where the highest bidder takes him. These guys only have so long to play. It ain't baseball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;2987197]The NFL needs more players like this.

Brady did that for the Pats..:yes:

After Rex said that he would have taken Suggs second in the draft I looked it up and we took Dwane Robertson(4) before Suggs(10) Troy Polamalu(16) Clavin pace (18) Dallas Clark(24) Larry Johnson(27) and Nnamdi Asomugha (31). Remember this was the draft Bradway traded 2 picks to get Robertson and said that it wasn't a strong draft class in the first round. How is it possible that he is still our top college scout?

:eek: I just looked at our second round and we picked victor hobson right before Anquan Boldin and Osi Umenyiora were picked

[QUOTE=NYRAGE;2987047][url]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens26jan26,0,872907.story[/url]

Just days after Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said he hoped star linebacker Ray Lewis would take a "hometown discount" on his next contract and end his career with the Ravens, Terrell Suggs went a step further.

Suggs suggested that he and fellow linebackers Lewis and Bart Scott could all remain with the Ravens if they give the team a discount.

Suggs, Lewis and Scott can become unrestricted free agents at the end of February.

"We really don't want to play without one another because we've been playing together for so long," Suggs told Sirius NFL radio.

Bisciotti also said last week that the team wouldn't use the franchise tag on Lewis but hoped the 10-time Pro Bowl linebacker would re-sign.

Now that the Ravens don't intend to use the tag on Lewis, it will be interesting to see whether they put it on Suggs again. If they applied the tag to him next month, they would have to pay him 120percent of his 2008 salary for one season ($10.2million).

But Suggs, who led the Ravens with eight sacks during the regular season and was selected to his third Pro Bowl, said he wouldn't be tempted to go elsewhere if he became a free agent.

"Not at the cost of leaving Baltimore," Suggs said. "If they treat me fair, then it shouldn't be a problem. I have all the faith in the world that they'll do that. I think they'll address all three of us with what they see as fair. I think if all three of us can come in the middle and form an agreement, then we shouldn't have a problem.

"We've already seen one of our other brothers [linebacker Adalius Thomas] walk. We really don't want to see too many more of us walk away from the city of Baltimore. Hopefully we all can stay, definitely, on a home discount."

Even if the linebackers stay, there will be big changes on defense for the Ravens, who lost defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and linebackers coach Mike Pettine to the New York Jets.

Suggs said he played in the AFC championship game with an injured shoulder that was about 35percent to 40percent and still sacked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice.

But he indicated that he wouldn't need surgery.

"All I got to do is work and get it back healthy so I can train this offseason," Suggs said.[/QUOTE]
    awww... that's so cute - i'm really touched.:fart:

good for him, now get ray lewis and leonhard here.:sunny:

One of them is getting tagged... probably, Scott will get tagged and Suggs gets paid.. I dont know if Ravens will offer Lewis a deal his ego will accept.. he probably will be the odd man out

All League
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;2987197]The NFL needs more players like this.

Very nice to hear. I hope they stay from a fan football fan perspective. But in my view I think it would be hard to sign all 3 of them - Lewis and Suggs are locks to re-sign, Scott may be a casualty..will see

Jets Insider VIP
    Players, Coaches, Management and fans KNOW that Professional Football is a business. Suggs "suggestion" could be taken 2 different ways. First, it could be that he is a team first" guy who LOVES being a Baltimore Raven, and LOVES playing with his current defensive team mates. This is what Ravens' fans HOPE is the case. This, to me, might be a little hard to believe seeing that Suggs was "angry" with the Ravens for applying the Franchise Tag to him this past off season with his designated position being a LB. DE's make more money, and if he were Franchised as a DE he would have made MORE to play for them in 2008. How could Suggs' feelings change that much for the Ravens? The other way this could be taken is, NEGATIVELY by BOTH Ray Lewis and Bart Scott. By this I mean that these two might find it offensive and detrimental to their pending contract negotiations with the Ravens. NFL teams only have 1 Franchise Tag. Of the three free agents that we are talking about, SUGGS is the youngest, IMO MOST important if lost of the three meaning that the Ravens would be more likely to use the tag on Suggs rather than Lewis or Scott. To the Ravens' fans, BOTH Lewis and Scott might be portrayed as "selfish" for NOT giving the Ravens a home-town discount when say, Suggs was willing to? Not a good move by Terrell Suggs.

Bring them all to the Jets Rexy!

All Pro
    Mind your business Suggs. If YOU want to give a hometeam discount, that's your prerogative. Don't talk about another man's money like you know what's best for him.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80;2987410]Players, Coaches, Management and fans KNOW that Professional Football is a business. Suggs "suggestion" could be taken 2 different ways. First, it could be that he is a team first" guy who LOVES being a Baltimore Raven, and LOVES playing with his current defensive team mates. This is what Ravens' fans HOPE is the case. This, to me, might be a little hard to believe seeing that Suggs was "angry" with the Ravens for applying the Franchise Tag to him this past off season with his designated position being a LB. DE's make more money, and if he were Franchised as a DE he would have made MORE to play for them in 2008. How could Suggs' feelings change that much for the Ravens? The other way this could be taken is, NEGATIVELY by BOTH Ray Lewis and Bart Scott. By this I mean that these two might find it offensive and detrimental to their pending contract negotiations with the Ravens. NFL teams only have 1 Franchise Tag. Of the three free agents that we are talking about, SUGGS is the youngest, IMO MOST important if lost of the three meaning that the Ravens would be more likely to use the tag on Suggs rather than Lewis or Scott. To the Ravens' fans, BOTH Lewis and Scott might be portrayed as "selfish" for NOT giving the Ravens a home-town discount when say, Suggs was willing to? Not a good move by Terrell Suggs.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think you are way off base with your second theory. This entire idea of the 3 of them staying for less then market value is not something that Suggs has pulled out of thin air and its not the first time it has been mentioned publicly. Bart Scott hit free agency in 05, and he turned down more money from the Browns to stay in Baltimore. During, training camp Scott was asked about his future with the Ravens and it was he who first hinted at this entire thing. He said that if it came down to it, he would be willing to take less money again for all 3 of them to stay. Its something that the 3 of them have talked about in great detail. The only one who hasnt said anything publicly about it is Ray Lewis and I am under the impression that he did, however, mention it to Deion Sanders during the pregame interviews of the Cowboys-Ravens game. So, this isnt something new that fans are going to go bashing these guys for if it doesnt go through and its not like Scott or Lewis are going to hate Suggs for spilling the beans. This is something thats been floating around for months, and Lewis and Scott have mentioned it before. The only reason, its getting press now is because the season is over and it matters now.