Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddy Ryans advice to Son Rex

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2987082]Thats old school tough love advise.
    Some today would call it a threat.[/QUOTE]

Yup... our head coach is a good ol' republican, just like his daddy!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2987432]Yup... our head coach is a good ol' republican, just like his daddy![/QUOTE]

You must be a Lib they always bring Politics to the threads..:yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987437]You must be a Lib they always bring Politics to the threads..:yes:[/QUOTE]

LOL! Mangini was/is a lib... need I say more.

Not trying to invoke politics into this thread, but I was having a conversation with friends this weekend about hiring certain types of people for certain situations.

For example, if I was on trial for rape, I would want a liberal woman defending me.

If I was in a plane crash and the pilot had to land over water, Id want an Irish male as the pilot.

For a football coach who is defensive minded, I want an old school republican. That is all I am going to say.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2987493]LOL! Mangini was/is a lib... need I say more.

Not trying to invoke politics into this thread, but I was having a conversation with friends this weekend about hiring certain types of people for certain situations.

For example, if I was on trial for rape, I would want a liberal woman defending me.

If I was in a plane crash and the pilot had to land over water, Id want an Irish male as the pilot.

For a football coach who is defensive minded, I want an old school republican. That is all I am going to say.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what a coach is politically as long as he gets the Jets to the Bowl and wins..;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987431]Charlie Winner was Weebs son-in-law..:yes: BTW your forgot Chuck Nox and Clive Rush who was hired by the Pats as their HC after Supe 3..[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that about winner, Weeb being the GM explains that. I didn't know nox was on the Super Bowl 3 staff in 68. I thought nox had left before we won the SB. Thanx for the info!
    Rush never went on to have the success that Ryan, Micheals and nox did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;2987499]Didn't know that about winner, Weeb being the GM explains that. I didn't know nox was on the Super Bowl 3 staff in 68. I thought nox had left before we won the SB. Thanx for the info!
    Rush never went on to have the success that Ryan, Micheals and nox did.[/QUOTE]

Knox did leave in 67 but he was on the staff with the others and helped build that O-line..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2987200]So?
    Old man Ryan turned that Philly team from a laughing stock to a pretty damn good team and quickly.[/QUOTE]

About as fast has Kotite ruined it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987509]Knox did leave in 67 but he was on the staff with the others and helped build that O-line..[/QUOTE]

Could you imagine we had Nox, Ryan Micheals and Rush on the same staff:(

Weeb did a great job putting that staff together. Even though, You gotta give some credit to Sunny Werblin who built that team when he was the man in control as owner, and how it all fell apart once he left...I think the true curse of the Jets was when the other owners forced him out. Werblin was all about getting the players and coaches who could win, and as we all know Hess was not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;2987546]Could you imagine we had Nox, Ryan Micheals and Rush on the same staff:(

Weeb did a great job putting that staff together. Even though, You gotta give some credit to Sunny Werblin who built that team when he was the man in control as owner, and how it all fell apart once he left...I think the true curse of the Jets was when the other owners forced him out. Werblin was all about getting the players and coaches who could win, and as we all know Hess was not.[/QUOTE]

Werblin was forced out in 68..:eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987431]Charlie Winner was Weebs son-in-law..:yes: BTW your forgot Chuck Nox and Clive Rush who was hired by the Pats as their HC after Supe 3..[/QUOTE]

Buddys dream job was with the Jets back in the day, Rex grew up a Jets fan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2987232]Id love to see Ryan call Bellichek a scumbag at a press conference and then announce hes putting bounties on Brady, Welker and Moss.[/QUOTE]

LOL, absolutely

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987577]Werblin was forced out in 68..:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yea I know right before the 68 super bowl season, with the team that he himself built intact. You saw the effects of not having Sunny around anymore after the 1969 season. The 70's were the worst of times for this franchise, as Sunny went on to bigger and better things like building a stadium for the Giants instead of us, and us having a decade with no playoffs.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;2987422]It's amazing how the Jets had such great defensive coaches on their staff when Weeb retired like Walt Micheals and Buddy Ryan, and went instead to Charlie Winner and then Lou Holtz.:rolleyes:....[/QUOTE]

Something about NY teams.....when Jim Lee Howell retired, I believe he had both Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi (Vince might have left the year before but I'm not gonna look it up) on his Giant staff and they end up going with Allie Sherman. Charlie Winner was Weebs son in law and as I recall, during his first year as coach, they were 1-8 then won 7 in a row and seemingly saved his job but he got canned the following year in mid season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Plane;2987848]Something about NY teams.....when Jim Lee Howell retired, I believe he had both Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi (Vince might have left the year before but I'm not gonna look it up) on his Giant staff and they end up going with Allie Sherman. Charlie Winner was Weebs son in law and as [B]I recall, during his first year as coach, they were 1-8 then won 7 in a row [/B]and seemingly saved his job but he got canned the year in mid season.[/QUOTE]

That couldn't happen in a 14 game season..;) However 1-7 and 6 in a row works..:yes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987853]That couldn't happen in a 14 game season..;) However 1-7 and 6 in a row works..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right...sorry about that but you got my meaning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2987853]That couldn't happen in a 14 game season..;) However 1-7 and 6 in a row works..:yes:[/QUOTE]

I remember we started off pretty good too in 75. Being 2-1 after the season home opener win against the Pats where Namath just picked them apart in a romp. We lost a close game to Fran Tarkington the following week at the Vikes and that was it until Ken Ship I believe took over for Winner after he was fired.:(