Thread: Khl

Veteran

Khl

As indicated in the bettman thread I've been spendin a good amount of time in russia this winter. I saw the KHL allstar game two weeks ago and just last night saw a very good game between a polar bear team and a stars team (I don't know russian). The stadium they played in was small (say 5-7 thousand) but it was packed and the fans were into it. The KHL took over from the russian super league last year and they look to have an expansive mindset. They currently have a couple of non-russian teams (latvia and kazhakstan-i think) and apparantly they are taking bids from teams in czech republic, sweden, finland, etc. I wonder if they are ultimately trying to create a russian-euro super league to rival the nhl. It would be interesting to see the NHL-KHL play for the stanley cup for a true world championship.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    As indicated in the bettman thread I've been spendin a good amount of time in russia this winter. I saw the KHL allstar game two weeks ago and just last night saw a very good game between a polar bear team and a stars team (I don't know russian). The stadium they played in was small (say 5-7 thousand) but it was packed and the fans were into it. The KHL took over from the russian super league last year and they look to have an expansive mindset. They currently have a couple of non-russian teams (latvia and kazhakstan-i think) and apparantly they are taking bids from teams in czech republic, sweden, finland, etc. I wonder if they are ultimately trying to create a russian-euro super league to rival the nhl. It would be interesting to see the NHL-KHL play for the stanley cup for a true world championship.
    That's weird. I heard that since the whole Cherapanov tragedy, the KHL was in jeopardy. I thought I read that the financial backing wasn't as strong as originally indicated. This was further fueled by rumors that Jagr wanted to return to the NHL.

All Pro
    The financial gap between top market teams and lower market teams would make baseball fans blush.

Seriously, look up the teams payrolls, its insane.

Veteran
    After looking into this league further apparantly many of the teams are struggling to the point that there are concerns that they might not make future payrolls. It does look like many of the teams do have solid financial backing. I guess they will let the weak teams flounder and try to replace them with euro teams with better financial foudations. I hope they make it as the quality of the hockey I saw was good and it was good to see the level of fan interest in the game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    It would be interesting to see the NHL-KHL play for the stanley cup for a true world championship.
    We already have international championship games every second year. But yeah, the NHL seems to be looking to branch out to Europe alot lately.. I don't know if the Sens were the only one to play a team from a different league? It was kinda neat though, but with the different rule sets, it would just suck for everyone.