Thread: Hedman and Tavares, any info???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hedman and Tavares, any info???

Does anyone have any info on these two guys???? Being an islander fan they are probably looking at a top two pick and these guys are the consensus 1 and 2 in this years draft.... I hear that Hedman is a better skater then Tavares; I am very naive to NON NHL players...any info????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My boy Karlsson looked superior to Hedman.

I've always been pretty critical of Tavares, but I think he has earned and slated the #1 pick. He's always had questions about his work ethic, but if you watched the World Juniors you could tell he was playing harder than ever - which has led to speculation that he's just bored in the OHL.

Hedman, on the other hand... I was very sold on earlier. My opinion of him has drastically changed, don't believe anyone calling him the Swedish Pronger. Only - seriously, only - thing they have in common, is height. Hedman plays very cowardice any time I see him. He does have an impeccable skillset though, and he will be a franchise dman one day. He didn't appear sharp at all in the juniors... which was kind of a knock on him. I believe he's a safe (and smart) pick at #2, not #1 though. He'll develope in time, any lower class team that has the oppertunity to pick him up should do it, and build around him as he developes.

Now, I think that's the sound solution for NYI though. If I saw my boys at #2 and Tavares was gone, I'd trade down a few picks, grab another pick, and try for Evander Kane. Realistically, I could see Hedman falling past #2 on a few defensively sound teams.

And don't buy into the hype everyone likes to spew "this is a deep draft" You hear that every year. This year has an excellent first round class, an average second round class, and - like any year - a crapshoot the rest of the way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    My boy Karlsson looked superior to Hedman.

I've always been pretty critical of Tavares, but I think he has earned and slated the #1 pick. He's always had questions about his work ethic, but if you watched the World Juniors you could tell he was playing harder than ever - which has led to speculation that he's just bored in the OHL.

Hedman, on the other hand... I was very sold on earlier. My opinion of him has drastically changed, don't believe anyone calling him the Swedish Pronger. Only - seriously, only - thing they have in common, is height. Hedman plays very cowardice any time I see him. He does have an impeccable skillset though, and he will be a franchise dman one day. He didn't appear sharp at all in the juniors... which was kind of a knock on him. I believe he's a safe (and smart) pick at #2, not #1 though. He'll develope in time, any lower class team that has the oppertunity to pick him up should do it, and build around him as he developes.

Now, I think that's the sound solution for NYI though. If I saw my boys at #2 and Tavares was gone, I'd trade down a few picks, grab another pick, and try for Evander Kane. Realistically, I could see Hedman falling past #2 on a few defensively sound teams.

And don't buy into the hype everyone likes to spew "this is a deep draft" You hear that every year. This year has an excellent first round class, an average second round class, and - like any year - a crapshoot the rest of the way.
    I hope you know he was playing with a separated shoulder.

If you take Tavares you will sell tickets. I would compare him to someone like heatley.

If you take Hedman, you will have a franchise d-man. Think a a little better version of Bouwmeester

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
    I hope you know he was playing with a separated shoulder.

If you take Tavares you will sell tickets. I would compare him to someone like heatley.

If you take Hedman, you will have a franchise d-man. Think a a little better version of Bouwmeester
    Just as well as I hope you know he wasn't playing that good before his injury. He had a stellar start and a terrible mid, and is having a very mediocre end.

Tavares is absolutely, totally, completely, entirely, nothing like Dany Heatley. Not in the slightest way. Dany Heatley is: Big, semi-soft, sluggish as **** on skates, slow, uninspired, terrible at puck handling - but has a 1-timer to die for. Tavares is: small-ish, feisty along the boards, agile as ****, inspired when the time comes, has some soft as **** hands and has the puck on a rope - with some serious knocks on his love for the game.

Hedman to Bouwmeester (enhanced or not) is one of the most laughable statements I have heard in a while. Jbo is a total player, He can shoot, he can block, he can pass like nobodies business, he will scrap if he has to, he can partake in shootouts, he has zero size advantage, he is nasty along the boards, he is an offensive defenceman trapped in an defensive defencemans skates. Florida has done him 0 justice.

Hedman is Rafalski in Prongers size.

I will agree Tavares sells tickets though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i heard tavares is the man u want!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that description of Tavares is right I will pass....don't want another Yashin here!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tavares is absolutely, totally, completely, entirely, nothing like Dany Heatley. Not in the slightest way. Dany Heatley is: Big, semi-soft, sluggish as **** on skates, slow, uninspired, terrible at puck handling - but has a 1-timer to die for. Tavares is: small-ish, feisty along the boards, agile as ****, inspired when the time comes, has some soft as **** hands and has the puck on a rope - with some serious knocks on his love for the game.
    Like Martin St. Louis ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as well as I hope you know he wasn't playing that good before his injury. He had a stellar start and a terrible mid, and is having a very mediocre end.

Hedman to Bouwmeester (enhanced or not) is one of the most laughable statements I have heard in a while. Jbo is a total player, He can shoot, he can block, he can pass like nobodies business, he will scrap if he has to, he can partake in shootouts, he has zero size advantage, he is nasty along the boards, he is an offensive defenceman trapped in an defensive defencemans skates. Florida has done him 0 justice.

Hedman is Rafalski in Prongers size.

I will agree Tavares sells tickets though.
    So can Tavares be a superstar in the league? can the islanders re-tool around him while keeping players like bailey, okposo and bergenheim?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    If that description of Tavares is right I will pass....don't want another Yashin here!!
    I honestly don't think it will be that much of a concern, he really does just seem bored playing people with inferior skills. So it could be a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Like Martin St. Louis ?
    Actually, add 3 inches and yeah - pretty much. They do have a quite similiar style of play, except Tavares has more of an explosive skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    So can Tavares be a superstar in the league? can the islanders re-tool around him while keeping players like bailey, okposo and bergenheim?
    I fully believe he will be a superstar in the NHL, and he probably wouldn't need more than a few months on the farm team - if any time at all. A team could definately re-tool around him, although nowadays it sounds safer to have a big name dman as the corner stone... I think you'd be crazy to pass up on Tavares.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info, Steel. I didn't know much about these players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way Tavares spends a minute in Bridgeport.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 02-13-2009 at 01:49 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    No way Tavares spends a minute in Bridgeport.
    Word, but it's time he could use to improve his game. The leap will hurt him a little probably, hopefully if NYI get him, they make damn sure to groom him though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word, but it's time he could use to improve his game. The leap will hurt him a little probably, hopefully if NYI get him, they make damn sure to groom him though.
    You never know. The Isles do strange things!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    You never know. The Isles do strange things!
    Guaranteed they won't take the top guys like Tavares. They will trade down so they don't have to pay salaries at that level and sell us the building for the future crap.