Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby Day!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Derby Day!

The infamous Milan derby is this weekend, one of the best rivalries in all of sports. This match his hugely important for Milan because right now they are sitting in 3rd place, and if Inter wins, they will pretty much end Milan's hopes for the scudetto.

Another big story is that Kaka may not even play due to a foot injury, and Inter will be fielding their whole squad.

In any event, it should be a great match. Maybe Beckham will be the difference-maker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck.

I hope for you Pirlo will be a litlle more awake than against Brazil the other day.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Good luck.

I hope for you Pirlo will be a litlle more awake than against Brazil the other day.
    In the past year or so Pirlo has slowed down BIG time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    In the past year or so Pirlo has slowed down BIG time.
    He's been my favorite Italian for a while, with Gattuso and Buffon.

OK I said it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always been a little more sympathetic to Juve but out of the Milanese I prefer the reds.

There is a really good blog about european football, but unfortunately it's in Turkish, I came across an article written in 2005 about the termination of Milan's biggest and first Ultras group foss dei leoni. It's long article and I don't have the time to translate it all right now but here are some highlights:

If any of you decide to learn turkish the original is here: http://acetobalsamico.blogspot.com/

(....)

17 November 2005

The news of FDL terminating itself spreads like wildfire thruout the ultras in europe. The FDL statement declares that "its decision is not directly linked to the historical banner incident"

29 October 2005

Derby day against Juve. Juve comes into town winning its last 9 matches. Before the match the teams come out to warm up but then all hell breaks loose as two banners of the Juve ultras group based in Milano , Juve Viking , is unfurled by the Fossa Dei Leoni accompanied by chants of "we have your banner we have your honor"

(...)

30 October 2005 Milano

When a groups banner is taken by a rival group, it has to dissolve itself. Those are the rules of the Ultras, and FDL keeps reminding Viking of this. Viking in turn says that these banners were forgotten at a train station when they were going to the away game at Lecce. Fİnding some unattended banners does not require us to dissolve ourselves. Give us our banners back, for now that's all we have to say. Then...

This photo is circulated in the internet, only accompanied by the message; "Do as you are supposed to do"

(...)

As I said the story goes on but right now this is all from me, I'll try to translate more if anyone is interested...

Within the theme of the topic an oldie but a goodie from the FDL:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I've always been a little more sympathetic to Juve but out of the Milanese I prefer the reds.
    Me too. probably because they've had a bunch of great French players: Platini, Zidane, Deschamps, Thuram, Trezeguet...

As for Milan, I prefer Inter. I don't know why. They had players I prefered: Zamorano, Ronaldo..Probably because they domintaed less. Nobody likes a winner

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. probably because they've had a bunch of great French players: Platini, Zidane, Deschamps, Thuram, Trezeguet...

As for Milan, I prefer Inter. I don't know why. They had players I prefered: Zamorano, Ronaldo..Probably because they domintaed less. Nobody likes a winner
    Most of the Galatasaray fans draw parallels with Milan and along with Barça and Liverpool, Milan is one of the 3 more popular teams amongst the Galatasaray supporters but for me its different; one of my favorite players growing up was Platini, then came Del Piero he is one of the most iconic figures in all of football IMO. The fact that he played for Juve in Serie B is in itself huge for me. In this age of the football industry him Angelo di Livio, Nedved Buffon and a few others are like players from a better past.

I have many reasons for hating Inter; 1- they are the blues that rival the reds 2- they poached arguably our 3 best players in 2001 and 2002 and maybe prevented uys from building on our Uefa Cup win of 2000 and CL quarter final the subsequent year 3- all they know how to do is throw money at their problems 4- they can only win the Scudetto when Juve and Milan are not around 5- They got beaten by the sewerbirds last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have many reasons for hating Inter; 1- they are the blues that rival the reds 2- they poached arguably our 3 best players in 2001 and 2002 and maybe prevented uys from building on our Uefa Cup win of 2000 and CL quarter final the subsequent year 3- all they know how to do is throw money at their problems 4- they can only win the Scudetto when Juve and Milan are not around 5- They got beaten by the sewerbirds last year.

I think the past 3 years have debunked that theory but I see what you mean.

And, that's exactly why I don't like AC Milan and Italian teams in general: they always find a way to win.

And that's why victories like Liverpool in the CL Final in Istanbul was PERFECT.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And, that's exactly why I don't like AC Milan and Italian teams in general: they always find a way to win.

And that's why victories like Liverpool in the CL Final in Istanbul was PERFECT.
    I agree with you there.

One of the most heartbreaking eliminations we suffered in the CL was back in 98 or 99. We were in a group with Juve, Athletic Bilbao and Rosenborg. We went into the last matchday on 8 points from 5 matches and Juve on 5 points from 5 draws. We got beat by Bilbao away 1-0 with the last ten minutes all played within Bilbaos penalty box. Than Juve beats Rosenborg (on a penalty goal in the last 5 minutes if I'm not mistaken) and we end up second on goal difference. Back in those days it was a real Champions league only the group leaders from 8 groups advanced.

Damn it still hurts...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, the French national team never did much until all our best players started playing in the best championships, especially in Italy. We’ve had magnificent players, but could never go all the way. In 98 we won playing like Italians. Steel curtain defense first and score at least one goal. Italy has the “only victory is beautiful” attitude, whereas before if we lost, as long as it was with panache, then it was OK.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, the French national team never did much until all our best players started playing in the best championships, especially in Italy. We’ve had magnificent players, but could never go all the way. In 98 we won playing like Italians. Steel curtain defense first and score at least one goal. Italy has the “only victory is beautiful” attitude, whereas before if we lost, as long as it was with panache, then it was OK.
    You out-braziled the brazilians in the final that year... It was a great squad from top to bottom. Except for Trezeguet, I've never liked him or his style of play for some reason, not in Monaco not in Juve.

Mentioning Monaco, how far they've fallen, I remember they've always had good players and even better forwards since the late 80's...Weah, Fofana, klinsmann, Henry, Sonny Anderson, Nonda, Terezeguet... They were always a fun side to watch. what happened to them?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You out-braziled the brazilians in the final that year... It was a great squad from top to bottom. Except for Trezeguet, I've never liked him or his style of play for some reason, not in Monaco not in Juve.

Mentioning Monaco, how far they've fallen, I remember they've always had good players and even better forwards since the late 80's...Weah, Fofana, klinsmann, Henry, Sonny Anderson, Nonda, Terezeguet... They were always a fun side to watch. what happened to them?
    Trezeguet will always be loved for nailing home the Golden Goal in OT of the Euro 2000 Final against Italy it what was, my biggest sports hard-on ever.

Besides that he is bizarre player. I think he’s extremely gifted but can only play in certain systems. He’s not a guy who participates in passing the ball around, but when he shoots, it’s on target. I’ve never seen a guy so accurate. He has a love/hate relationship with the national team. Every 6 months there’s a petition to bring him back because he scoring zillions of goals in Italy. So he comes, plays 3 straight games, scores none and misses 3 lay ups and goes back to Italy.

As for Monaco, they’ve gone downhill for sure. I thought they’d do better this year, because they recruited wisely. Ricardo, the manager should have been dumped a long time ago. He blows.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW your man Erding is doing well. His team sucks, but he should be playing for a better team next year. Teams will want him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW your man Erding is doing well. His team sucks, but he should be playing for a better team next year. Teams will want him.
    He's been linked to the big 3 over here since the Euros, but if he's smart he'll stay away.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's been my favorite Italian for a while, with Gattuso and Buffon.

OK I said it.
    How could not like those guys, gay jokes aside. Despite getting older, Pirlo is always consistent, Gattuso is psychotic, and Buffon might as well be a giant brick wall.

Remember when he stopped that PK during Euro 08? I have to find a clip of that, that was sick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How could not like those guys, gay jokes aside. Despite getting older, Pirlo is always consistent, Gattuso is psychotic, and Buffon might as well be a giant brick wall.

Remember when he stopped that PK during Euro 08? I have to find a clip of that, that was sick.
    No, the PK was nothing. He won the Final by deflecting Zidane's header in OT. That's a goal 99% of the time. When he stopped that, I knew we were going to lose. We were dominating, Italy was tired, and we weren't scoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxRF...ext=1&index=47

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't that the motto of the French military, too?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, the PK was nothing. He won the Final by deflecting Zidane's header in OT. That's a goal 99% of the time. When he stopped that, I knew we were going to lose. We were dominating, Italy was tired, and we weren't scoring.

but he's been like a sack of potatoes since the injury...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, I forgot about that. He was great in the World Cup.

I have the "Italy is Victorious" DVD, or something like that. I should pop it in and watch it again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't that the motto of the French military, too?

You laugh but it is a very French way of thinking. We're all for being flamboyant and panache, even if it is in a losing effort. Rugby, football, tennis...Yannick Noah is probably one of the greatest wastes of natural talent ever, yet everyone loves him.

If a French tennis player makes to the final of a Grand Slam, and loses, everyone will say "well he made to the final. That's really good".
    An American will say "yeah but he lost".

That's where the Italians helped us. In Italy, noones gives a sh*t how you win, as long as you win.