Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby Day!

Here's a Buffon highlight vid from Euro '08. About 30 seconds in is when he stopped that PK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgjpfA3ne0M

The whole thing is 4 mins but worth watching. He made a ton of great saves during that tournament.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Isn't that the motto of the French military, too?

I'm not a one to stick up for the French, but if you're saying this as an Italian you should know you guys aren't seen as the toughest bunch either... I mean just once end a war on the same side that you started on

To end on an italian saying:

Mamma li Turchi...

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    You laugh but it is a very French way of thinking. We're all for being flamboyant and panache, even if it is in a losing effort. Rugby, football, tennis...Yannick Noah is probably one of the greatest wastes of natural talent ever, yet everyone loves him.

If a French tennis player makes to the final of a Grand Slam, and loses, everyone will say "well he made to the final. That's really good".
    An American will say "yeah but he lost".

That's where the Italians helped us. In Italy, noones gives a sh*t how you win, as long as you win.
    That is a very interesting, actually.

Here in America, you gotta be the best. You have to win all the time, in every tournament. Even though it's golf, Tiger Woods is a perfect example of this. There are very few athletes in the last, say, 50 years with a competitive drive like his. It's almost staggering. Even with all the majors he's won, he still gets pissed off if he doesn't keep winning. Winning the US Open on a broken leg last year was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I'm not a one to stick up for the French, but if you're saying this as an Italian you should know you guys aren't seen as the toughest bunch either... I mean just once end a war on the same side that you started on

To end on an italian saying:

Mamma li Turchi...

hahahahaha, that's good

I may be Italian in blood, but if I ever went to war I'd be sailing under the stars & stripes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's a Buffon highlight vid from Euro '08. About 30 seconds in is when he stopped that PK.

The whole thing is 4 mins but worth watching. He made a ton of great saves during that tournament.
    He saved Italy by blocking Mutu's PK that day. Awesome save

Jets Insider VIP
    That is a very interesting, actually.

Here in America, you gotta be the best. You have to win all the time, in every tournament. Even though it's golf, Tiger Woods is a perfect example of this. There are very few athletes in the last, say, 50 years with a competitive drive like his. It's almost staggering. Even with all the majors he's won, he still gets pissed off if he doesn't keep winning. Winning the US Open on a broken leg last year was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.
    It's the Poulidore syndrome

Raymond Poulidore was a French cylist in the 70's, who finished something like 5 times straight in 2nd place during the Tour de France. Bummer for him he cycled during the reign of Eddy Merckx (I think, or some other great cyclist).

EVERYONE loved him.

Jets Insider VIP
    hahahahaha, that's good

I may be Italian in blood, but if I ever went to war I'd be sailing under the stars & stripes.
    Exactly how much Italian blood do have? Were you born there? Your parents?

This is something I always found weird with Americans. They'll all say "I'm irish, or Italian"...when in fact they're 3 or 4 generations away from that country and couldn't be further away from being a native. You're American .

Exactly how much Italian blood do have? Were you born there? Your parents?

This is something I always found weird with Americans. They'll all say "I'm irish, or Italian"...when in fact they're 3 or 4 generations away from that country and couldn't be further away from being a native. You're American .
    My grandparents were born there, and my dad grew up in an Italian-speaking home. So, when I was little and we went over the my great-grandmother's for dinner on Sunday, it was mostly Italian being spoken around the dinner table.

I'm American, obviously, and I got a sense that my grandfather was very proud of the fact that when he came over here he couldn't speak a word of English, and within 10 years he owned and operated a very successful electronics store. Nevertheless, he never lost the spirit of his own culture and made it an important part of our family.

Unfortunetly, when my great-grandmother died at the age of 93, no one really spoke Italian anymore. I still remember the way she used to call me "Paolo"... it was sweet in a grandmotherly sort of way.

That's America, it's a melting pot. For 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generations certain aspects of the old world culture is still alive and well, especially if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of ethnically-similar neighbors. I love everything about
    America, but at the same time I appreciate the origins of where I came from. I still have cousins over in Italy, in our native Calabria and a few moved to Rome. One of them works in Parliament (as like a politician's assistant or something), another one is a weather girl on local TV. I haven't been there myself, but my uncle and cousins were there in the summer and stayed with them.

Buffon is AMAZING. what an asset to have.

To be honest, the French national team never did much until all our best players started playing in the best championships, especially in Italy. We’ve had magnificent players, but could never go all the way. In 98 we won playing like Italians. Steel curtain defense first and score at least one goal. Italy has the “only victory is beautiful” attitude, whereas before if we lost, as long as it was with panache, then it was OK.
    i still can't believe France didn't do anything with the team from the early and mid-90's.

Jets Insider VIP
    My grandparents were born there, and my dad grew up in an Italian-speaking home. So, when I was little and we went over the my great-grandmother's for dinner on Sunday, it was mostly Italian being spoken around the dinner table.

I'm American, obviously, and I got a sense that my grandfather was very proud of the fact that when he came over here he couldn't speak a word of English, and within 10 years he owned and operated a very successful electronics store. Nevertheless, he never lost the spirit of his own culture and made it an important part of our family.

Unfortunetly, when my great-grandmother died at the age of 93, no one really spoke Italian anymore. I still remember the way she used to call me "Paolo"... it was sweet in a grandmotherly sort of way.

That's America, it's a melting pot. For 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generations certain aspects of the old world culture is still alive and well, especially if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of ethnically-similar neighbors. I love everything about
    America, but at the same time I appreciate the origins of where I came from. I still have cousins over in Italy, in our native Calabria and a few moved to Rome. One of them works in Parliament (as like a politician's assistant or something), another one is a weather girl on local TV. I haven't been there myself, but my uncle and cousins were there in the summer and stayed with them.
    Got it. My statement wasn't a stab at you of course. You're probably as Italian as I would be French if I had stayed in states.

Swear right here and now you're going to Rome to see your cousins this summer.

You'll regret it the rest of your life.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i still can't believe France didn't do anything with the team from the early and mid-90's.
    Early 90's we had a good generation but nothing compared to the Platini generation (82-86) and of course the Zidane years.

Got it. My statement wasn't a stab at you of course. You're probably as Italian as I would be French if I had stayed in states.

Swear right here and now you're going to Rome to see your cousins this summer.

You'll regret it the rest of your life.
    Yeah, no offense taken of course.

I know, I don't know what I'm doing for not going there yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, no offense taken of course.

I know, I don't know what I'm doing for not going there yet.
    You'll love it.

And if you come through Paris I can show you just how gay we really are

You'll love it.

And if you come through Paris I can show you just how gay we really are
    LOL

You really know how to make an invitation sound enticing.

Does any of your family live here in the States?

Veteran
    another one is a weather girl on local TV.
    An Italian weather girl - or are they called weather persons now - You mind if I tag along...

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

You really know how to make an invitation sound enticing.

Does any of your family live here in the States?
    We're 3 kids.

My sister is the most American. She's lived only a couple of years here. She lives about an 1h outside of NYC
    My brother is the Frenchest. He works for AIG iand living in NYC for about a year now. He's having a blast...well not really at work, but otherwise really taking advantage of the city

We're 3 kids.

My sister is the most American. She's lived only a couple of years here. She lives about an 1h outside of NYC
    My brother is the Frenchest. He works for AIG iand living in NYC for about a year now. He's having a blast...well not really at work, but otherwise really taking advantage of the city
    I know you won't be doing so anytime soon with the baby at home, but if you ever visit your sister or brother in NYC, let me know. I'll buy the first round of drinks.

Jets Insider VIP
    I know you won't be doing so anytime soon with the baby at home, but if you ever visit your sister or brother in NYC, let me know. I'll buy the first round of drinks.
    Deal

Ditto if in Paris.

What time is it???

GAME TIME!

Let's go Rossoneri!