Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The stadium thread

Jets Insider VIP

The stadium thread

Post in here pics or vids of stadiums you've been to that you thought were cool (could be any sport)

Parc des Princes - Paris
    Where the PSG plays. National teams (rugby, soccer used to play here until 98 when the Stade de France was built for the WC). Relatively small with about 49 000 seats. I love it because it's a sort of bowl, and when the crowd gets behind a team it's pretty impresive

Stade Velodrome- Marseille
    Where Marseille plays, PSG arch rival. It pains me to say, they have some of the best fans in the country. Fanatically support their team. I went to a OM-PSG there, and the atmosphere was electric. One of the rare 90 000 stadiums in France.

Camp Nou - Barcelona
    Huge, gigantic. 90 000 + seats.

Bernabeu - Madrid
    A Cathedral. Very impressive because it takes up almost a whole block. We wer in the last row, and that was pretty frigggin high. Not much atmosphere except when eveyone gets angry at the same time. Not much chanting otherwise.

Last edited by RaoulDuke; 02-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Caught a bullfight in Madrid too at the Plaza de Toros

Jets Insider VIP
    Stade de France - Paris
    No local team plays there, only national teams and concerts. It's pretty from far away, but way to spaced out for me. Since it was designed to hold track and field events, the crowd is even further away. Best games to see would be the rugby finals every year. otherwise filled with boring Frenchmen. 90 000 seats

THe stadium will be rockin!

sorrry I had to do it.

hmmm, maybe it's just me, but Real Madrid's stadium reminds me a lot of Yankee Stadium. In the middle of a crowded city, historic team, definitely a cathedral, even the same color scheme. And the same will hold true for when the new one opens this year.

Camp Nou looks absolutely massive. As far as the coolest one goes, it's definitely the bull fighting ring.

Veteran
    Since I've never gone to a match with a camera none of these pics were taken by me;

First and foremost our illustrious home Ali Sami Yen Hell;

This year will be its last as we're building a 50000 capacity state of the art new stadium with a retractable roof and all the other bells and whistles. The current one is a very small stadium by modern standards with only about 24000 seats but when its rockin its a sight to see. After a match against Milan in 2002 Paolo Maldini famously said "No one can make me believe that there were only 20000 people in there"

Here are some pics of when the crowd gets going

the obligatory flare shots:

Valentine's day 2002 Deportivo vs. Galatasaray, "Only You"

and some others;

Veteran
    And some others that I've been to;

Besiktas's Inonu Stadium; probably the stadium with the best view in the world, its actually a stones throw away from the Bosphorus;

Nou Camp was mentioned above, but while I was in Barcelona I also went to a Bullfight - though I later regretted that decision - but the place was nice:

Other than that they've mostly been crappy stadiums not worth mentioning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post

The KOP is on the side?

That's cool. I love those.

Jets Insider VIP
    There should be Costa Rican, Australian, English, Scottish and American stadiums posted..

Just sayin'

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The KOP is on the side?

Exactly. It's called Kapalı (means Closed). And the most hard core fans are in the middle of it. The floodlights in the stadium are not on poles but they are placed on a row on top of the roof, and when the Kapalı gets going you can actually see the lights bounce up and down.

BTW, RD, that match on valentines day with the Only You banner was a CL match, and you guys were also in our group. It was us, PSG Deportivo but I can't remember the fourth team, can you? You guys had Christian up front then we later bought him from you, what a mistake that turned out to be...

Yankee Stadium. One of the oldest, most historical baseball parks in America. It's going to be torn down this year, and its replacement already stands finished across the street. Although the new one is absolutely beautiful, there will never again be a park quite like Yankee Stadium. Here's a picture of it last season, with the new stadium in very early stages of construction:

Here's one I took from two seasons ago with my camera phone. It's a pretty awful shot, haha

The KOP is on the side?

Ok... what's a KOP?

Jets Insider VIP

Exactly. It's called Kapalı (means Closed). And the most hard core fans are in the middle of it. The floodlights in the stadium are not on poles but they are placed on a row on top of the roof, and when the Kapalı gets going you can actually see the lights bounce up and down.

BTW, RD, that match on valentines day with the Only You banner was a CL match, and you guys were also in our group. It was us, PSG Deportivo but I can't remember the fourth team, can you? You guys had Christian up front then we later bought him from you, what a mistake that turned out to be...
    Lens has a Kapali as well. Dortmund too I think..

Christian...ugh. He reminds of Pascal Nouma. Together they porbably had the IQ of an orange.

We've done that in the past too. A few years back, we signed some Russian guy who tore us apart in a UEFA game, scoring 3 away goals, thinking he was the next Messi. Wrong: we just sucked. He completely bombed, rarely started..forgot his name.

I'm sure you guys know what Giants Stadium looks like, or, as I prefer to call it whenever the Jets are playing there, "The Meadowlands." Here's some shots I have taken from a couple games last year and two years before:

Pats game two seasons ago

View from our old season ticket seats -- 8 rows behind the Jets bench on the 35 yard line

Bills game this year

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Ok... what's a KOP?
    Black Death is going to have fun with this Paulie...

It's the name of probably the most famous terrace in Europe in Liverpool's Anfield. It has something to do with a place called spion kop somewhere in africa but you'll have to wait for BD for a better explanation.

Black Death is going to have fun with this Paulie...

It's the name of probably the most famous terrace in Europe in Liverpool's Anfield. It has something to do with a place called spion kop somewhere in africa but you'll have to wait for BD for a better explanation.

Now that you say that, I have heard the terrace at Anfield referred to as the kop. I didn't know the overhangs at all stadiums were called that.

Veteran
    Christian...ugh. He reminds of Pascal Nouma. Together they porbably had the IQ of an orange.

a half eaten one at that...

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok... what's a KOP?
    A Kop is basically a section of the stadium. Most of the time it's both ends of the stadium. That's where you find all the hardcore fan groups, with their signs and chanting...etc.

It's where you find these guys

The sides of stadiums are for the average fan who mostly sit and not too rowdy.

A few stadiums, like Turk's, have the fan groups on the side which I find cool, because it's more 'in your face' for opposing teams, and more democratic since those are the guys who will follow the team everywhere, so they should get the best spots.

Veteran

Now that you say that, I have heard the terrace at Anfield referred to as the kop. I didn't know the overhangs at all stadiums were called that.
    They're not.

in Europe usually the hardcore fans are behind a goal becuse its cheaper, for example in Milan FDL was always in the Curva north. But in Turkey the crazies are not behind a goal but on the side. RD just referred to the Kop instead of saying the rabid fans or lunatics.

Jets Insider VIP
    They're not.

in Europe usually the hardcore fans are behind a goal becuse its cheaper, for example in Milan FDL was always in the Curva north. But in Turkey the crazies are not behind a goal but on the side. RD just referred to the Kop instead of saying the rabid fans or lunatics.
    Actually I called it that way because I thought it was a generic term