Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The stadium thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    View from our old season ticket seats -- 8 rows behind the Jets bench on the 35 yard line

Nice seats.

I have a stupid question: Is there a reason why every NY stadium is being torn down and rebuilt right next to it (Shea, Yankees, Giants stadium)?? Were they falling apart or is this just about $$?

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Nice seats.

I have a stupid question: Is there a reason why every NY stadium is being torn down and rebuilt right next to it (Shea, Yankees, Giants stadium)?? Were they falling apart or is this just about $$?
    Well, I think the separate teams had been wanting new stadiums for a long time, and it's just coincidence that they are all opening within a year of each other (new Yankee and CitiField this season, new Giants Stadium next season).

In my opinion, both Yankee and Giants stadiums were absolutely fine. They could have been updated for sure, but total destruction was unnecessary. Especially in Yankee Stadium's case, because of the history involved.

Shea was absolute dump, though. Terrible place. The Mets' new CitiField is going to be gorgeous.

Rutgers Stadium, where the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University play. This stadium is actually getting a new look, too, with an expanded number of seats on the upper deck and in the endzone where the big red "R" is.

Veteran
    Actually I called it that way because I thought it was a generic term

well than, maybe it is in some countries?

Jets Insider VIP
    Well, I think the separate teams had been wanting new stadiums for a long time, and it's just coincidence that they are all opening within a year of each other (new Yankee and CitiField this season, new Giants Stadium next season).

In my opinion, both Yankee and Giants stadiums were absolutely fine. They could have been updated for sure, but total destruction was unnecessary. Especially in Yankee Stadium's case, because of the history involved.

Shea was absolute dump, though. Terrible place. The Mets' new CitiField is going to be gorgeous.
    I have to say, naming stadiums after corporations blows.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post

well than, maybe it is in some countries?
    We do here, but you know us, we have to do everything differently

I have to say, naming stadiums after corporations blows.
    Yeah, especially since Citigroup got a bailout from the federal government. For a while, people were saying the Mets should change the name to "Taxpayer Field"

Veteran
    Yeah, especially since Citigroup got a bailout from the federal government. For a while, people were saying the Mets should change the name to "Taxpayer Field"
    LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    This is as hard to type as it would be for a Jets fan to admit Pats fans are the best.

I used to work for a telecom company which was the principal sponsor for Marseille, the equivalent for my team as the Pats are for the Jets. Plus there is a natural rivalry between the 2 cities: one is the capital, the other the rebelious southern city. Somewhat similar to the way a southerner sees NYC I guess.

Anyways I was invited at the time to see a PSG-Marseille match in Marseille. Upon arrival, i hear the whole stadium whistle and I knew PSG had taken the field to warm up. In America you 'boo', but when 90 000 people whistle their brains out it sends chills down your spine.

The game sucked, we lost, but I walked away saying to myself that their fans were awesome.

This is their chant. Basically the stadium goes silent, and both ends of the stadium answer each other back and forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lno0Kchoc0

There should be Costa Rican, Australian, English, Scottish and American stadiums posted..

Just sayin'

you callin' me out, Frenchie??

here are some pics of Ricardo Saprissa stadium, home to Deportivo Saprissa () and, until the new National Stadium is completed, the Costa Rican national team:

it's fairly small, only fits about 22,000 people, but the crowd is extremely close to the field. also, the very high and vertically-oriented sides help trap the noise inside the stadium... when it's rockin', IT'S ROCKIN'!!!!

picture of the North Bleachers, where the wildest and loudest fans set up for both Saprissa and national team matches. these bleachers are located directly above the visitor's locker room, so they get all the noise and vibration from 5,000 people chanting and jumping before the game and during halftime. the North goal is not a fun place to be for visiting keepers, either.

this clip lets you appreciate how close they are behind the goal and yes, the visitor's locker room is DIRECTLY underneath:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDeNw...eature=related

no wonder it's often referred to as a "HELL"

this is a good thread, let's keep it going!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    this is a good thread, let's keep it going!!
    yeah, some of the new guys.

This the Pavilion, home to the Villanova Wildcats, who will be playing UNC in the FINAL FOUR this weekend.

Olympic Stadium in Montreal. I was there a good bit as a kid to catch the Expos games. I always thought it looked like a space ship (I guess that was the idea). I only went once after the roof was finished-not long after Darryl Strawberry knocked one off the roof. It was estimated that ball would have carried 525ft before if it had not hit the roof.

Lake Placid, NY Olympic Arena.

For me, it would be hard to imagine anything being more spectacular, sports wise, than what happened here in 1980. I was 10 years old, and grew up just miles away. Just simply the perfect win at the perfect time for US fans.

As an added bonus, I played in the arena a few years later on a kids Bantam league team.
    Last edited by frostlich; 04-03-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    View from our old season ticket seats -- 8 rows behind the Jets bench on the 35 yard line

Paulie, I can see myself (very barely) in this shot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    The doofus with the n10?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    What section do you sit in?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post

Lake Placid, NY Olympic Arena.

For me, it would be hard to imagine anything being more spectacular, sports wise, than what happened here in 1980. I was 10 years old, and grew up just miles away. Just simply the perfect win at the perfect time for US fans.

As an added bonus, I played in the arena a few years later on a kids Bantam league team.
    Awesome story.

Hall Of Fame
    What section do you sit in?
    Section 331.. upper deck last portal to the top right.

directly on top of the railing.

You know, the doofus with the #10 jersey.