Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESN Radio: Jets, Tanny interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3012998]This guarantees that Clemens or Ratliff will be starting. Fitz is a 3rd stringer at best.[/QUOTE]

haha even ainge would beat him out

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why this is such a bad idea.

If neither Ratliff or Clemens can beat out Fitzpatrick, then it shows us that neither is the future IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3013316]I don't see why this is such a bad idea.

If neither Ratliff or Clemens can beat out Fitzpatrick, then it shows us that neither is the future IMO.[/QUOTE]

Then you qould have no future at QB and Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starter. Me no likey.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3013316]I don't see why this is such a bad idea.

If neither Ratliff or Clemens can beat out Fitzpatrick, then it shows us that neither is the future IMO.[/QUOTE]

i don't get it, either.

a lot of people, myself included, want to give Clemens another shot to prove himself. why not bring in some competition from a guy who is about the same age and arguably did better as a starter?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    must we? every year? Of course they are interested...they're interested in everyone..it does a team no good to come out and say we're not interested in so and so player so this means nothing.

the jets may or may not be interested in fitzpatrick which essentially is a statement about nothing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3013494]i don't get it, either.

a lot of people, myself included, want to give Clemens another shot to prove himself. why not bring in some competition from a guy who is about the same age and arguably did better as a starter?[/QUOTE]

The problem is, there is a high probability that whoever they bring in is going to win the job. So, they need to be careful about who they bring in. They need to make sure that whoever they bring in is capable of being a winning NFL quarterback for the next several years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3013533]The problem is, there is a high probability that whoever they bring in is going to win the job. So, they need to be careful about who they bring in. They need to make sure that whoever they bring in is capable of being a winning NFL quarterback for the next several years.[/QUOTE]

more than bringing in a guy to win the job, the Jets need to find out what Clemens/Ratliff have to offer. Clemens will probably get the "first look" (so to speak) based on his 2nd-rounder status, limited starting experience, and because his contract expires after 2009. Ratliff will be given a chance to compete for the job, which is all he should realistically hope for at this point.

at the same time, i don't blame the Jets FO from feeling "uneasy" with those two as the only viable candidates for the QB spot, so they wanna bring in someone who can push them in camp, but probably not an established vet who will feel entitled to the starting position.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3013569]more than bringing in a guy to win the job, the Jets need to find out what Clemens/Ratliff have to offer. Clemens will probably get the "first look" (so to speak) based on his 2nd-rounder status, limited starting experience, and because his contract expires after 2009. Ratliff will be given a chance to compete for the job, which is all he should realistically hope for at this point.

at the same time, i don't blame the Jets FO from feeling "uneasy" with those two as the only viable candidates for the QB spot, so they wanna bring in someone who can push them in camp, but probably not an established vet who will feel entitled to the starting position.[/QUOTE]

The whole thing makes me uneasy.

I hope they either draft a QB and bring in someone like Garcia as a placeholder until the rookie is ready, or find a way to get Marc Bulger and let him be the QB for the next 4 or 5 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Veteran backup (yes, I know i'm reaching).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3013589]The whole thing makes me uneasy.

I hope they either draft a QB and bring in someone like Garcia as a placeholder until the rookie is ready, or find a way to get Marc Bulger and let him be the QB for the next 4 or 5 years.[/QUOTE]

i get what you're saying, but what can Jeff Garcia really do for this team? or a shell-shocked Marc Bulger? i'm not convinced either one will accomplish much, except keeping us in the dark as to what potential (if any) Clemens/Ratliff have.

i like the approach the Jets have taken (so far) and i don't think they'll draft a QB unless Sanchez drops to #17 (this would be me if that happened --> :banana:). go with the kids and see if something sticks. if not, there's a very good crop of college QB's coming out in 2010.

[SIZE="1"]ps - most people are happy that Favre retired, but he's gonna be greatly missed once July rolls around[/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3012915]No link, just heard it on the radio.

In one of their last updates, so literally a one liner "Jets and Mike Tannenbaum interested in Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who won three games as a starter last year for the Cinncinati Bengals".[/QUOTE]

:barf:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3013615]i get what you're saying, but what can Jeff Garcia really do for this team? or a shell-shocked Marc Bulger? i'm not convinced either one will accomplish much, except keeping us in the dark as to what potential (if any) Clemens/Ratliff have.

i like the approach the Jets have taken (so far) and i don't think they'll draft a QB unless Sanchez drops to #17 (this would be me if that happened --> :banana:). go with the kids and see if something sticks. if not, there's a very good crop of college QB's coming out in 2010.

[SIZE="1"]ps - most people are happy that Favre retired, but he's gonna be greatly missed once July rolls around[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

niceee dirtstar niccee:yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say bring in Fitzpatrick, Clemens and Ratliff could use some competition, and whats with all the Ratliff love here? How many games has this dude started? Whoever wins in TC should get the job, if Ratliff is as good as everyone says then he should win.
    Last edited by Carthage; 02-20-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Carthage;3013667]I say bring in Fitzpatrick, the Clemens and Ratliff could use some competition, and whats with all the Ratliff love here? How many games has this dude started? Whoever wins should get the job, if Ratliff is as good as everyone says then he should win.[/QUOTE]

Jets fans are funny.

You have two guys, Ratliff and Clemens, who theoretically could compete for the starting QB job. But people think they need someone else to compete against. Why wouldn't simply competing against each for the starting job other be sufficient to bring out the best in them? Why do they need a third player to compete against?

Answer: Because neither one is good enough to be a starting NFL quarterback.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3013676]Jets fans are funny.

You have two guys, Ratliff and Clemens, who theoretically could compete for the starting QB job. But people think they need someone else to compete against. Why wouldn't simply competing against each for the starting job other be sufficient to bring out the best in them? Why do they need a third player to compete against?

Answer: Because neither one is good enough to be a starting NFL quarterback.[/QUOTE]

nobody really knows, that's kinda the problem.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3013282]2008 Ryan Fitzpatrick 8 tds 9 ints 59.4 completion %

2007 Kellen Clemens 5 tds 10 ints 52.0 completion %

As horrific as Harvard-boy is he could actually beat out scrub Kellen in TC. And people think Favre sucks.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Saw him play a lot in college. He would probably beat out Kellen.