Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: How many here stopped going for their dream?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    I hear you man. It's just like, I wonder.. how hard will it be to get there? Certainly lots of guys on here, and our parents know full well how it is. But do any of them feel like they could be doing more? I don't want to grow up and being "sort of satisfied" like.. as a kid id be like, Oh I wish my dad was a football player.. do you think that made him feel bad? Ya know? Idk..

I want to make it.. and im afraid of not being able to do so.. in other words.. IM GOING TO BUST MY ASS IN WHAT EVER I DO from here on out. Im serious, i've made a promise to myself, that I will not be told no. So i guess that's a god thing.

I don't want to have a family, and be unhappy. Idk its weird, im 18 and im thinking about this.. I feel like if I don't do what I want to right now, I will not succeed.

I would say follow your heart and do what makes you happy, as I said I can relate to you wanting it all, I am 29 and essentially wasted the last 10 years of my life, I wish I can go back and make different decisions

There is a good saying in the movie scarface "those who want it all, they dont last"

and I think that is the truth, I would say try going with the flow, do what makes you happy, not what makes your ego happy, try and find your peace and contentment now

but again it is up to you, like I said alot of people have your mindset at 18, some succeed some dont, but again I think real happiness comes from within yourself in trying to search for peace and happiness

yea but you are 18 and shouldnt be thinking about this crap, try hanging out with friends, try going for girls, try getting drunk on the weekend and having a good time, I wish I can go back 10 years and do things over

Undrafted Free Agent
    I had big dream's when i was twenty... i decided to get on drug's..Make a long story short i lost my daughter over it... I was feeling sorry for myself thinking why we? It took me 8 year's and cost my dad forty thousand dollar's in rehab which didnt help..... I finally realized i was the loser and needed to help myself.... I was in my room and had ran out of money to steal from m y dad.... I started crying and told myself i will never get high again.... I smoked more speed then i can ever tell you.. The cop's came and arrested me in front of my 2 niece's.. I have never felt like such a piece of ****.... I have been sober now for 8 yrs...... I live for the jet's......that's my story and i hope somebody can relate to it..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dude, many folks with a couple of more years than you under their belts will tell you that the "journey is the thing"....not the end-goal, or the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow.

While having money is nice, I guarantee you that most of the guys you see here cracking jokes and talking about the Jets are MORE blessed than AROD, who is an insecure, conflicted mess of a human.

If you can scrape together enough money to put a roof over your head and learn to appreciate what you have, no man will be richer than you.

If you find a good woman and have healthy kids that worship you, it doesnt matter if you make a million or 60g's a year. YOU ARE A KING.

Pursue what interests you, keep a proper perspective (that is an ongoing battle) always buy authentic' apparel and for God's sake, try to take human bites.
    Great post! There is nothing in this world that can give you more satisfaction than the love of your family, your girl and your friends. As I once read, when you got love you don't need anything else but when you don't have it it doesn't matter what else you got...

All League
    Haven't you ever seen Parenthood? It's the rollercoater ride that makes it great. People with no worries who spend their days talking about their latest trips to the Bahamas are usually douche bags.

Well I do not own a plane, but I think of my career as successful. Private practice for 20+years. I didn't get married/start family until after I was settled in my career. My best advice is don't be afraid to go out on a limb. I took out student loans in college, but was never worried that 'd be unable to pay back. Also I never took a semester off. I actually always added extra classes to my schedule so I'd get finished sooner. Good Luck.

All League
    I have a great wife and 3 sons 4, 2 and 2 months.
    Sure we could use more money right now... but everyone is healthy and I feel incredibly blessed.

I have an average office job and my wife is a teacher...
    I also help an uncle with his business that continues to grow every year... eventually, who knows maybe I'll have some money... but I doubt I'd be any happier than I am today.

On a side note, my grandfather owned a seat on the stock market and had plenty of money his whole life... yet when my father went to his house, he found 100's of uncashed checks...

He asked my grandmother why they never cashed them? and she said, that in the process of earning all that money something was lost and that they were happier when they had less...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Haven't you ever seen Parenthood? It's the rollercoater ride that makes it great. People with no worries who spend their days talking about their latest trips to the Bahamas are usually douche bags.
    +1 there is a saying, Life is like a $hit sandwich, and we all HAVE to bite once or twice. It 's true. It's how you handle it. Take this RECESSION.... unplanned, many of us JET brothers were caught off guard. You can be living your dream but now you are under water, it's your NEXT move that's critical.

Why do we look at other people's lives with envy? I choose to look at other people's lives to find the blessings in my own.

Everytime I see some poor s.o.b. doing some menial task for next to nothing I say to my wife/kids 'I love my job'.

Everytime I hear someone's spouse talking bad about their husband/wife I say to whoever is there 'I love my wife'.

Everytime I hear of someone's kid in trouble with violence/drugs or just being a total d-bag I say 'I love my kids'.

It's all about Perspective/Attitude. Treat your wife and kids like a queen and princes/princesses and guess what; you'll be the King.

All Pro
    I don't know, for a while now I have been looking at things I know I can ONLY have if I become successful, and start making millions. I saw a show where these guys had their own private plane community, each member a multimillionaire. I was watching the BBC tv show 5th gear where they took a lotter winner exotic car shopping.. I wondered, can I ever be like these people? Is it possible that my dreams can become a reality? Of course we all dream and when we wake up, and realize we are just dreaming.. it kinda blows. Has anyone here ever tried going for what they dreamed of, but stopped due to any reason? I REALLY hope I reach it, I don't want to give up.

This was random.. but I've been thinking of it the last few days. I guess having a dream and achieving it has different standards. Many people on this board have probably archived their dream, a house, family, etc..

Who here HAS reached their goal?

Stop your whining. If your priority in life is to get a rolex and a porshe there is a simple answer. You've got to work for it and to make the right career choices. As case in point, Mike Fatcessa made a great move in chosing radio instead of TV in broadcasting. If you are serious about this, why not you? The only answer would be because you don't have the mental toughness to keep your nose down and keep working through the tough times. Grow a sack already.

Rookie
    All that we are is a result of what we have thought. There's MAGIC in the word believe! Man is a thought-being, and his life and character are determined by the thoughts in which he habitually dwells. Become consciously aware of what your thinking about, and change the focus of those thoughts to what you desire to create for your life. Become a student of the workings of the mind.

Hall Of Fame
    Seriously.. this is my dream. I want to be a broadcaster, I want to be the best broadcaster the sports world has ever seen. But at the same time, I want to wear a suit, and wear a nice watch, and talk about how the trip to my villa in the Bahamas was. It's nice to live a modest life, but deep down EVERYONE wants to be able to live a lif like A-Rod... minus the steroids, and wife thing. To be able to not worry about a thing, just live life, spend the money that you don't have to worry about running out of. And it SUCKS knowing that.. the odds are against that ever happening to me.. or any of us for that matter. Some people go ahead with their goals, and they STILL never make it.

With advance apoloigies to SAR.

Dude, is there a bigger waste of money than an expensive frigging watch?

There was a time when I was into that stuff. Now when I see the word luxury
    I think of the word greed. Some people who I used to think were successful are really just insecure people trying to chase the wind. I can assure you that Alex Rodriguez's happiest years were in the minors (if he was there) and his first couple years in the show. He hasn't been a happy guy for a long time. He's a victim of his own success.

Don't fall for the BS commercials that tell you need an expensive car and a big house. See the world. Go to Spain and Italy and see people living in tiny apartments with little beat up cars. Those are people that enjoy life. They've
    got eight kids and they're living in places smaller than the American "starter home". Nobody cares where you live or what you drive.

I think Suze Orman said Americans are dog-paddling like crazy to impress people they don't like or even know.

People who have their stuff together help out friends, family and community.
    They don't have expensive watches and pay thousands on first class to be a little more comfortable for a few hours. A lot of people are really struggling. Kids going to sleep under 5 blankets with nothing to eat in the house. Don't worry about a frigging watch-the twenty dollar ones keep the same time.

I gave up caring about material stuff long ago. I've seen what life can do to you in a split second-Patrick Swayzee, Michael J. Fox etc. Some of my friends have really had the rug pulled out from under them.

Besides, by world standards, you are already a rich guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

I think of the word greed. Some people who I used to think were successful are really just insecure people trying to chase the wind. I can assure you that Alex Rodriguez's happiest years were in the minors (if he was there) and his first couple years in the show. He hasn't been a happy guy for a long time. He's a victim of his own success.

Don't fall for the BS commercials that tell you need an expensive car and a big house. See the world. Go to Spain and Italy and see people living in tiny apartments with little beat up cars. Those are people that enjoy life. They've
    got eight kids and they're living in places smaller than the American "starter home". Nobody cares where you live or what you drive.

I think Suze Orman said Americans are dog-paddling like crazy to impress people they don't like or even know.

They don't have expensive watches and pay thousands on first class to be a little more comfortable for a few hours. A lot of people are really struggling. Kids going to sleep under 5 blankets with nothing to eat in the house. Don't worry about a frigging watch-the twenty dollar ones keep the same time.

I gave up caring about material stuff long ago. I've seen what life can do to you in a split second-Patrick Swayzee, Michael J. Fox etc. Some of my friends have really had the rug pulled out from under them.

BRAVO!!!! take a bow. Great Post!

Banned
    The problem with people your age SBIII (assuming you are fresh out of college you are the at the front end of Generation Y, the Millenials). You're generate has this intrinsic need to measure everything with money. More so than any generation before you.

Status is measured with brands, and bling. It's visible in the way products, services and entertainment is marketed to your generation. Shallow, materialistic, petty, envious, back-stabbing, cut-throat, greedy... so its no surprise to me that when you mention having dreams you start off by talking about envying lottery winners and luxury car shopping. NOT about accomplishing something for yourself.

Don't take this personal, a lot of my frustration on the issues comes from having a younger sister... the rest comes from working as a branding professional, dealing with Gen Y on a daily basis as my target audience.

Yes, its not all bad with your generation. Not all bad at all. I know.

But in my experience dealing with your generation, most if not all of the kids expect EVERYTHING to be handed to them. I've only met a few impressive young people, at some of the finest schools in New England, that understand the work ethic they need to have in order to achieve. They all have one thing in common... they spend their time networking, self-starting and being hands-on with their lives instead of on the internet or in front of the TV. You know right from the get-go with these kids that they will achieve whatever it is they want. No question. The rest of them? The rest will go through life asking the question "why not me?" Then they'll talk about what they watched on TV last night.

I was glad to read that you actually wanted to accomplish something for yourself. The sports broadcaster thing is a great goal to set for yourself. Take the edge off though, lose the whole the "the best the world has ever seen" part. That is a purely subjective thing, and only stands as a immeasurable barrier to you actually achieving your goal.

Re-focus your ambition on the broadcaster part. Make sure you are on the right track in college/etc. Much like my field, visual design and branding, climbing the ladder is a long, slow ascent. It doesn't happen overnight like it does for some people in some careers. You'll have to learn NOT to measure everyone else's progress against your own. Its not fair to do that to yourself.

You are at the age that you should understand that you don't refer to these things as "dreams" anymore... they are "goals." Dreams are for kids... because as a kid you can't attain any of it, you are too young and do not have the resources at your disposal. Goals are for adults... you've got the wherewithal, you've got the resources, now its on you to push through... even if you run in the wall of doubt or frustration every now and then, you've got to be the one that sees it through. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

The best things in life are earned. Don't envy the lucky, appreciation is not learned through being lucky.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
    haha all this is effect of the Bush/Reagan failure, but I guess politics isnt allowed on this board so this will be locked, just had throw that in before it gets locked

all this failure in America is more or less the result of the Reagan/Bush war on the working class
    Get a clue..http://jaykeating.wordpress.com/2008/10/04/684/

Supe money and fame doesn't equal happiness..Look at Hollywood and some of those musicians you like.They are some of the most unhappy people there are..Do what you really enjoy then it's never work!
    Last edited by Savage69; 02-21-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dude, many folks with a couple of more years than you under their belts will tell you that the "journey is the thing"....not the end-goal, or the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow.

While having money is nice, I guarantee you that most of the guys you see here cracking jokes and talking about the Jets are MORE blessed than AROD, who is an insecure, conflicted mess of a human.

If you can scrape together enough money to put a roof over your head and learn to appreciate what you have, no man will be richer than you.

If you find a good woman and have healthy kids that worship you, it doesnt matter if you make a million or 60g's a year. YOU ARE A KING.

Pursue what interests you, keep a proper perspective (that is an ongoing battle) always buy authentic' apparel and for God's sake, try to take human bites.
    And this is why 32Green is one of the best people on this board. The world would be an even better place if most thought along these lines. You da man 32!!!..............

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

Profound, Timmy. Really.

SB, Don't ever give up on dreams. They are that which will drive you. You just have to identify which dreams are worth pursuing. I'm not there yet, but I eventually would like to be on a good-sized piece of land, with enough room and supplies to go off the grid. I'm already self-employed, and I have a wide-ranging skill-set to do a lot of very important tasks myself. Like others have said, it's the ride along the way. That is what will ultimately define you. There's an old saying, I believe it's an Eastern thing, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Me.

SAR I
    Yeah, when you're sitting in first class and the lead singer from Air Supply is sitting in coach, you know you've got it made....

All Pro

All Pro
    Seriously.. this is my dream. I want to be a broadcaster, I want to be the best broadcaster the sports world has ever seen. But at the same time, I want to wear a suit, and wear a nice watch, and talk about how the trip to my villa in the Bahamas was. It's nice to live a modest life, but deep down EVERYONE wants to be able to live a lif like A-Rod... minus the steroids, and wife thing. To be able to not worry about a thing, just live life, spend the money that you don't have to worry about running out of. And it SUCKS knowing that.. the odds are against that ever happening to me.. or any of us for that matter. Some people go ahead with their goals, and they STILL never make it.
    you should play the lotto

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    you should play the lotto
    You know you could have just edited the post, right...

EDIT: Haha, never mind.