Thread: Too many Rangers numbers being retired?

Too many Rangers numbers being retired?

Is it just me or does it seem that the Rangers have all of a sudden started to retire WAY too many numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that the Rangers have all of a sudden started to retire WAY too many numbers.
    It's you.

Board Moderator
    They retired a #9 worn by by two legends and a #3, this will be the last for decades to come.

So yes, its just you.

I like the way the Leafs do it - they raise the players number with the name on it to the rafters but the number can still be assigned to a current player and that way it becomes even more of an honor for the current Leaf to wear it.

Of the three retired this year, two deserved it and one didn't.

All League
    I think they are done for a LONG TIME.
    Nobody is close to deserving over the last decade and going forward I don't see anyone at this point. Of course, one Cup and that changes everything.

Mess, Leetch, Richter were No Brainers. They happened very close to each other so it did seem excessive.
    Gravy: I am OK with it. Not a great playing career, but a great Ranger career.

The two from the past were LONG overdue. Howell should have been up there before Gilbert, IMO. Bathgate also is about 20 yrs late. He had a better than PPG career with the NYR. No Cup hurt both.

Way too many numbers being retired. The Knicks might as well retire Oakley's and Stark's numbers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Way too many numbers being retired. The Knicks might as well retire Oakley's and Stark's numbers.
    If Starks had gone 6 for 18 instead of 2 for 18 in 1994 I think this would have happened already! Rings are the thing!

BTW: I know you were being sarcastic.

The short period of time between retiring the numbers is what makes it seem excessive. I would say retiring Graves' number was a little questionable, but outside of that I think it's very fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilma View Post
    They retired a #9 worn by by two legends and a #3, this will be the last for decades to come.

So yes, its just you.
    They are retiring James Patrick's number? That seems excessive.