Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: NY Rangers Fire Tom Renney

Jets Insider VIP

OT: NY Rangers Fire Tom Renney

I'm sure this will get moved eventually but I wanted to get it out there in case some of you don't make it over the NHL board.

I just saw this on the ESPNews ticker.

Who Cares

they still will suck. they can't score. fire the GM

I think what did him in was the “Mangini moment” captured by the camera shot of the reaction on the Rangers’ bench when Rozsival scored the tying goal. The players all went nuts with celebration, and Renney didn’t even crack a smile.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tailgater69 View Post
    Who Cares
    There are a lot of Rangers fans and hockey fans here. A lot more than those who care about your 11 posts.

All League
    Wow.

Maybe we'll get someone in there that can light a fire under this teams ass!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    There are a lot of Rangers fans and hockey fans here. A lot more than those who care about your 11 posts.
    haha, ya the ignorance of some people. Thats a great 11th post though, wonder what his other 10 posts were like. I'm sure they were gems like this one

Veteran
    Supposedly hiring John Tortarella (sp?). Coach that won the cup in Tampa. I don't know much about him.

Should of been Sather. There's only so much Renney could do w/ the team this idiot assembled.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by tailgater69 View Post
    Who Cares
    DOO-SHAY!!!!!

Anyway, I am sad/OK to see him go.
    He was classy from Day 1. A lost art in sports today.
    But, this team has been brutally dull for months and do not seem to be capable of getting out of it. They are pressing so bad.
    Sather is the culprit here but we know where he stands with the Dolan's.

FAN just said Tortorella. He will light a fire for sure and DEFINITELY piss off some of the guys within minutes!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10 View Post
    Supposedly hiring John Tortarella (sp?). Coach that won the cup in Tampa. I don't know much about him.

Should of been Sather. There's only so much Renney could do w/ the team this idiot assembled.
    If they Hire Tortarella, that would be a good qucik fix, i dunno about long term but he is a firey coach which would be good to get that team motivated.

Can we fire Redden too?

There are a lot of problems with this team, the least of which was Renney. I think you can blame him and staff for the staggering lack of development of the young guys (Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes and even Prucha to a degree).

But the contracts given to Gomez and Redden especially are going to anchor this team down for a few years yet.

Gomez is a total coach-killer and Redden is amazingly soft for his size.

The roster is full of 2nd and 3rd line players.

Sather is the person to blame. But as long as hehas Dolan's ear, this will continue.

Veteran
    Renney is a good coach, but whatever reason it's not clicking this season. After starting the season with guns a blazing, the team hs ran out of ammo quickly. I dont see much change in the team regardless of coach they bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    If they Hire Tortarella, that would be a good qucik fix, i dunno about long term but he is a firey coach which would be good to get that team motivated.
    I wonder how Tortarella will handle Avery if/when he comes back..
    Sather needs to go the moves this past off season are inexcusable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Totorella's a no-brainer. They do need his fire and his lack of inhibitions about benching star players when they deserve it. Renney's defense first philosophy eventually stifled this team. Zherdev's talent was being totally wasted.

Sather did a great job coming out of the lockout a few years ago but has completely obliterated that work in two off-seasons. Letting Jagr, Nylander and Avery go and signing Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rozsival to mind numbing contracts that have completely strapped the team was the work of a man whose time has come and gone. The pompous-arrogant-fat-cat-cigar-smoking GM's are dinosaurs in today's NHL. The smart move last year would have been to fire Sather and let Donnie Maloney take over. Instead, Maloney's gone and we'll all watch as he helps build a winner in Phoenix.

All League
    FWIW, Torts is a pretty notorious goalie killer.

I generally like the guy, but that's always been one of the knocks on him.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to hire him. Quinn is the best coach available though, imo. If you think Redden was bad being constantly chirped at by Murray, imagine what Torts could do to the poor guy.

All lateral movements until the guy who bought this mess is gone methinks.

Jets Insider VIP
    By the way, I hope Pearn and Pelino are on their way out too. The power play is abyssmal as is the idiotic back-passing that the Rangers defensemen do night in and night out. Any high school coach could recognize what the Rangers dmen are going to do with the puck. Every team looks for it and jumps on them but they just keep on doing it. It's time to get some Rangers heritage behind the bench with Torts (if indeed he's the next coach). My votes go to Ken Gernander as an assistant. He's great with the younger players. And Adam Graves.

Edit: From what I read, looks like Pearn did get a pink slip.
    Last edited by Jordy; 02-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jim Schoenfeld is also a possibility as head coach. Torts and Sather would probably be a bad match the more I think about it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jim Schoenfeld is also a possibility as head coach. Torts and Sather would probably be a bad match the more I think about it.
    Great point!
    So, if it is Torts then we can assume that the Dolan's forced him on Slats and put Slats on LONG OVERDUE notice, 'This is your job to lose!!!'

Jets Insider VIP
    This is one of the things that irks me about this board. We have all sorts of stupid threads polluting the main board on a daily basis but God forbid a piece of local sports news gets on there that doesn't interest a Mod and/or some whiny ass complains about it. I think it's newsworthy and could have stayed on the board for a while anyway at least until the masses could see the news. Not everyone reads the NHL forum. Couldn't even let it stay for 30 minutes.