Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albany Firebirds Season Preview

Albany Firebirds Season Preview

Offseason Team Report #22 - Albany Firebirds
    Courtesy: arenafootball2
    Release: 02/26/2009

Send this article to a friend Print RSS

Courtesy: arenafootball2

af2.com has been providing fans with an in-depth offseason report on each of the league's 25 member teams. We begin the home stretch with the final Division to be highlighted – the East Division of the American Conference. Today's featured team is the Albany Firebirds

The 2009 af2 season will mark the triumphant return of the Firebirds to Albany, New York. Firebirds football has a rich history and tradition in the state’s capital region, but the re-branding of the team, formerly the Albany Conquest, goes deeper than the retro name, logo and colors. To complete the team-makeover the Firebirds are excited to welcome new Head Coach and former Albany Firebird Tony Bowick.

Bowick has four years of arena-football coaching experience that includes stops in Arizona (2008), Chicago (2007), Albany (2006) and Grand Rapids (2005). The first-year Head Coach and Director of Football Operations has built a young and versatile team that is deeply rooted in the Capital Region; the training camp roster boasts twenty-two players that are 25 or younger (19 rookies) and 12 players who played college football in New York. Bowick is confident that he has put together a crop of hungry talent that can play all over the field and that Albany fans should recognize from the start of the season.

Though many of Albany’s players are new to the af2, the Firebirds were pleased to retain six players who have played for the Conquest over the last few years. Highlighting the returning talent are second-year players Norman Bauer (OL/FB) and Jose Harris (FB/LB) and fourth year player Kenny Williams (WR/DB). Among the Firebirds’ top prospects are a pair of rookies out of the University of Albany, Irani DeAraujo (WR/LB) and Trevor Dupont (FB/LB).

Capital District sports fans have already embraced their new team, as evidenced by a spike in season ticket sales relative to last year. Management and fans alike are eager to reach the af2 playoffs for the first time since the 2003 season and the franchise is confident that its new name, logo, coaches and players will do just that.
    Last edited by jetsrule128; 02-26-2009 at 12:03 PM.

bump in the new forum

Want to post your crap, fine. No need to bump it, if no one replies that means NO ONE CARES dude.

hey moron -- there's a new forum dedicated to all arena sports, BUT THIS AIN'T IT!!!

EDIT: the above was written before this got moved to the new Arena Sports forum.
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 02-26-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Jetrule. You, like Tex, are on your last life here at JI.

This Forum is the only appropriate location for these threads.

self-bumping is not needed. if people want to read it and respond, they will.

I kno wyou want to remain a part of this community, so please, do not make me be a prick mod and ban you. I much prefer being a nice happy mod whos too busy debating football to ban anyone.

Kapeesh?

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

This Forum is the only appropriate location for these threads.

self-bumping is not needed. if people want to read it and respond, they will.

I kno wyou want to remain a part of this community, so please, do not make me be a prick mod and ban you. I much prefer being a nice happy mod whos too busy debating football to ban anyone.

Kapeesh?

I hate you, jr128.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Christmas is coming!!

wtf

i saw it moved to the grill

i did not know it was supposed to be in here

how rude

Quote Originally Posted by jetsrule128 View Post
    wtf

how rude
    You sir are disrespectful!

wtf

how rude
    i admit it, i LOL'd

it was like he was blaming me for puting it in the wrong forum

THEY PUT IT THERE NOT ME

BUT SERIOUSly what do you guys think of the preview

THEY PUT IT THERE NOT ME

It's complete garbage.

All League

THEY PUT IT THERE NOT ME

It's probably one of the worst things I've ever subjected myself to reading.

Jets Insider VIP
    OK this is ridiculous. We need to stop responding to this dumbass and effectively bumping his thread. (The only reason I'm writing this now is because it's already at the top). I'm appealing to Sean to bring back the NHL and NBA forums. For us to be subjected to this garbage and for soccer to have its OWN forum is insane.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    I've instructed 128 to cease and desist all Arena football posts which he assured me that he would. Please let me know if he violates this agreement. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    OK this is ridiculous. We need to stop responding to this dumbass and effectively bumping his thread. (The only reason I'm writing this now is because it's already at the top). I'm appealing to Sean to bring back the NHL and NBA forums. For us to be subjected to this garbage and for soccer to have its OWN forum is insane.
    Agreed.

Veteran

THEY PUT IT THERE NOT ME

ITS A MASTER PIECE!!!

THEY PUT IT THERE NOT ME

jetsrule128 , what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Under af2 rules, teams are allowed to open camp two weeks prior to the week of their first regular season game. Teams are allowed to bring 35 players to camp (not including the optional two-player International Training Squad), but must cut down to 30 on the third day of full contact camp. The final cut to 22 players (19-active; three-inactive) is the Monday prior to their first game by 3:00 p.m. ET.

Were excited to get our 10th anniversary season underway, af2 President Jerry Kurz said. We look forward to 2009 being our best season ever, filled with great players and great plays. Most importantly, however, we anticipate the highest level of football and the highest level of entertainment our fans have ever seen.

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULES:

Albany Firebirds

Wed. 3.11.09

About af2

With its 10th anniversary season set to kick off on March 20, af2 serves as a vehicle to bring Arena Football to small-to-midsize cities and as a developmental league with an unmatched history of sending players, coaches and officials to major professional football leagues each year. Log on to www.af2.com for more information.