Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: He's Baaaaaaaaack!!! - Sean Avery officially a Ranger Again!!

  1. #1
    Board Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn Heights
    Posts
    2,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    He's Baaaaaaaaack!!! - Sean Avery officially a Ranger Again!!

    He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2695...=topStory_main

    He's baaaack!

    As expected, the New York Rangers claimed Sean Avery on re-entry waivers today and the super pest is back in the NHL.

    The Rangers are responsible for half of Avery's remaining contract - another three years with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. The Dallas Stars are responsible for the other half.

    It is unknown if Avery, who had two goals and one assist in six games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL, will be in the lineup Thursday against the Islanders.

    This will be Avery's second tour of duty with the Rangers after spending two years with the Blueshirts under recently fired head coach Tom Renney.

    The 28-year old Avery could get a frosty welcome from current Rangers' head coach John Tortorella who has stated in the past that he is no fan of Avery's antics.

    As part of the NHL on TSN panel earlier in the season, Tortorella was highly critical of Avery following his comments about actress Elisha Cuthbert, a former Avery flame and current girlfriend of Flames' blue liner Dion Phaneuf.

    ''Enough is enough. He's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed the [Dallas] organization, he's embarrassed the league and he's embarrassed his teammates, who have to look out for him. Send him home. He doesn't belong in the league.''

    Rangers' general manager Glen Sather sees Avery as a boost to a struggling Rangers squad and believes that his coach and new acquisition will be able to co-exist.

    ''He doesn't have the history with Sean that we do,'' Sather said on a conference call last week. ''Over time, you learn to love him, just like I do.''

    In 23 games with the Stars this season, the Pickering, Ontario native has three goals and seven assists while racking up 77 minutes in penalties.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,285
    Post Thanks / Like
    posted this 30 mins ago and i get no love dammit. i need catchier titles.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet. I'm looking forward to having Avery back. I think he'll be well worth the $1.9M cap hit for the next 3 years. And what else is Tortorella gonna say on a nationally televised Canadian show about a guy who has notoriously bad-mouthed Canadians? Torts is a Boston guy and I'm sure deep down he'll love having Avery's grit and tenacity as long as Avery doesn't become a distraction to the team.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
    posted this 30 mins ago and i get no love dammit. i need catchier titles.
    I think it's the preppie sweater thing.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bottom of a bottle
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Sweet. I'm looking forward to having Avery back. I think he'll be well worth the $1.9M cap hit for the next 3 years. And what else is Tortorella gonna say on a nationally televised Canadian show about a guy who has notoriously bad-mouthed Canadians? Torts is a Boston guy and I'm sure deep down he'll love having Avery's grit and tenacity as long as Avery doesn't become a distraction to the team.
    We all know Tort's knows when to keep his mouth shut.

    If Avery pulls any prima donna bull with Torts, he's gunna ride the pine all season. Torts has absolutely no room for ego clashing, don't think that a player he specifies as a joke is going to have any breathing room under him.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    We all know Tort's knows when to keep his mouth shut.

    If Avery pulls any prima donna bull with Torts, he's gunna ride the pine all season. Torts has absolutely no room for ego clashing, don't think that a player he specifies as a joke is going to have any breathing room under him.
    Like Drury said today, the players want to know 2 things about Avery:

    1) That he wants to be there, he wants to be a Ranger, he loves wearing the Ranger jersey, he loves living in New York AND

    2) He wants to win a Stanley Cup.

    http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip145732#clip145732

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Never should have let him go in the first place

    That was a huge mistake and I still don't know Glen Sather was thinking

    All the team ever did was win with Avery in the lineup, and that's where Sather turns into a penny pincher
    Ham, nobody wanted Avery to stay more than I did but the Rangers couldn't afford the $4M per year price tag. The Stars, read Brett Hull, were willing to meet that demand. I love Avery on the team but not at that price. We're up against the cap as it is and we're facing having to re-sign several RFA's: Zherdev, Korpikoski, Sjostrom, Dubinsky and Callahan and Blair Betts who's unrestricted and I think a very important piece. Not to mention the decisions on Antropov and Morris who will also be FA's July 1st.

    But all's well that ends well. We got him back at HALF the cost. Half the cap hit. And we've got him for 3 more years after this. Like it or not.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Like Drury said today, the players want to know 2 things about Avery:

    1) That he wants to be there, he wants to be a Ranger, he loves wearing the Ranger jersey, he loves living in New York AND

    2) He wants to win a Stanley Cup.

    http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip145732#clip145732
    Gee two unique qualities in an NHL player....

    Never heard of a player liking where they are playing or wanting to win a Stanley Cup.

    I guess if Avery has those two qualities then we can just forget everything and just award the Stanley Cup to the New York Rangers.

    Rangers like sloppy seconds also.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    Gee two unique qualities in an NHL player....

    Never heard of a player liking where they are playing or wanting to win a Stanley Cup.

    I guess if Avery has those two qualities then we can just forget everything and just award the Stanley Cup to the New York Rangers.

    Rangers like sloppy seconds also.
    We can always count on you for an intelligent discussion when it comes to the Rangers. If your hatred was any more obvious, it would jump through the monitor.

    The point is, no one questions Avery's talent and what he brings to the team as long as his head is in the right place and he works towards the same goals as his teammates and not be a maverick and have his own agenda.

    But I imagine it was hard for you to read that through the red hatred in your eyes.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    We can always count on you for an intelligent discussion when it comes to the Rangers. If your hatred was any more obvious, it would jump through the monitor.

    The point is, no one questions Avery's talent and what he brings to the team as long as his head is in the right place and he works towards the same goals as his teammates and not be a maverick and have his own agenda.

    But I imagine it was hard for you to read that through the red hatred in your eyes.
    What can I say...I have the "DEVIL" in me!!

    Let me get passed my red hatred and say that the guy should have never been suspended in the first place.

    The whole thing was silly.

    sensitivity training? huh? for comments? whaaaaa?

    Worked great for John Rocker.

    The guy is what he is..

    made a dumb comment and everyone wants to take his livelyhood away.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    What can I say...I have the "DEVIL" in me!!

    Let me get passed my red hatred and say that the guy should have never been suspended in the first place.

    The whole thing was silly.

    sensitivity training? huh? for comments? whaaaaa?

    Worked great for John Rocker.

    The guy is what he is..

    made a dumb comment and everyone wants to take his livelyhood away.
    That I agree with. But all one has to do is listen to Bettmann on satellite radio to know what an arrogant and argumentative prick he is.

    And now comes the referee bias towards Avery. I think that a reasonable person would have to admit there were two bad calls that involved Avery, one in the Boston game and the other in the Carolina game.

    In the Boston game, they called Avery for an interference call while he was trying to negate an icing. Technically, it was a legitimate call. It could have been overlooked, it was borderline, but under normal circumstances, I would have agreed with the call. However, several minutes earlier in the game, I think it was Aaron Ward who blatantly interfered with Avery as he was racing to negate an earlier icing call. It was about as obvious a call as you can get yet no call was made. OK fine. But then you let the subsequent one go too.

    In the Carolina game, Avery was called for tripping when he unintentionally fell in front of the Carolina net and took out the legs of a Carolina player with his body. It was incidental contact. There was no obvious intent and yet there goes Avery off for tripping.

    Two very suspicious calls (three if you count the non-call) against Avery for what I think is just because he's Sean Avery.

    BTW, there was another play earlier in the Boston game when Lucic took Avery down along the boards with an elbow that even resulted in a scrum by teammates coming to his defense. No call again.

    Like Larry Brooks said today. Avery did his time. He paid the price. Now let him be and treat him like every other player unless and until he does something to warrant differential treatment. It's not like he's on probation.
    Last edited by Jordy; 03-11-2009 at 06:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Betteman is a horrible commisioner but that is another discussion...But he was dead wrong on how he handled this ..

    As far as bias towards Avery who knows? if there is some maybe they are just testing him. And a guy who is tamed by the league is not a guy a team trying to catch fire needs.

    But the Rangers needed to do something to stop the bleeding. But if he is being tested he won't be any help at all

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm amazed at how good Avery looks since coming back to the Rangers. He may not have scored any goals, but he easily makes a good play almost every time he is on the ice and truly does bring alot of intensity on every shift of every game. Much props.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Barnegat,NJ
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares the Rangers are a disgrace and should move to KC!!!

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jims jetts View Post
    Who cares the Islanders are a disgrace and should move to KC!!!
    Fixed.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bottom of a bottle
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    I don't think Betteman is a horrible commisioner but that is another discussion
    I beg of you to start this discussion, I'm very intrigued as to how you formed that opinion.

    ...But he was dead wrong on how he handled this ..
    Not at all? It's Colin Campbell who handles disciplinary action.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7 View Post
    I beg of you to start this discussion, I'm very intrigued as to how you formed that opinion.



    Not at all? It's Colin Campbell who handles disciplinary action.
    I assure you that Gary Bettman was behind it. Bettman is a control freak and I guarantee you he made this call. It has his fingerprints all over it. Campbell handles the on-ice crap. This was a PR nightmare and that's where Bettman steps in.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "Avery Factor" plus Avery's skill wins the game against Filthadelphia. The two refs in this game actually treated Avery as an equal to everyone else and made fair and balanced calls. How sweet it is.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The "Avery Factor" plus Avery's skill wins the game against Filthadelphia. The two refs in this game actually treated Avery as an equal to everyone else and made fair and balanced calls. How sweet it is.
    Avery on the NYR top line for an entire season= 30+ goal scorer

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us