Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we trade for Torry Holt?

[QUOTE=KRL;3035014]Clowney was fine Mangini just didn't get around to activating him until
    the end of the season. You may be talking about Marcus Henry but
    he was never hurt they just stashed him on the practice squad last
    year. People shouldn't sleep on him he's 6-4 about 215 pounds and
    catches the ball very easily. Because he's so tall when he runs it seems
    like he's not moving very fast but each of his strides is chewing up alot
    of ground. The "problem" he had was his torso is so long he had trouble
    protecting his chest so CB's in camp were tying him up at the line of
    scrimmage. The WR coach (Mazzone) was working with him on this, I
    don't think they played him alot in pre-season because I don't think the
    Jets wanted the rest of the league to see him. If they did someone would
    have picked him off of our practice squad just like Derrick Ward.[/QUOTE]

i could have sworn he was injured. Henry I know, but I thought Clowney had a leg injury as well.

sounds like good news though if he can get off the line.

[QUOTE=KRL;3035014]Clowney was fine Mangini just didn't get around to activating him until
    the end of the season. You may be talking about Marcus Henry but
    he was never hurt they just stashed him on the practice squad last
    year. People shouldn't sleep on him he's 6-4 about 215 pounds and
    catches the ball very easily. Because he's so tall when he runs it seems
    like he's not moving very fast but each of his strides is chewing up alot
    of ground. The "problem" he had was his torso is so long he had trouble
    protecting his chest so CB's in camp were tying him up at the line of
    scrimmage. The WR coach (Mazzone) was working with him on this, I
    don't think they played him alot in pre-season because I don't think the
    Jets wanted the rest of the league to see him. If they did someone would
    have picked him off of our practice squad just like Derrick Ward.[/QUOTE]

Clowney suffered a shoulder injury in preseason...

He was out several weeks which is why he was originally placed on inactive...

Mangini just 'forgot' he was healthy again.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3035023]I feel the same way about Holt that I do about Jason Taylor, he's not the player he once was, not even close, but unlike Harrision I think he still has something left in the tank and I wouldn't mind signing Holt to short term deal if the price was reasonable, because even if you draft a WR in RD 1, WR's often need a year before they start to hit stride

Holt might buy us another year to make that transition[/QUOTE]

I don't think at this point in his career he can go year to year though?

He needs one last 3 year deal and then he needs to bounce.

The Lions should take a serious look at getting CJ some experienced help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Holt is DONE. I know that this statement has already been made countless times in the responses to this post, but it's most-likely true. Why would Rex want to bring on an "older" veteran WR who better days are clearly behind him? If Holt were to sign ANYWHERE, IMO he should look at the Cardinals to reunite with Warner or possibly the 49ers. He'd stay within the NFC West, and he'd probably have a chance to start in San Francisco. As far as the Jets are concerned, I think we're gonna go with a youth-movement at WR for any that we add, whether it be in the Draft or via free-agency.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3035044]I think you guys are underestimating what Holt still has left in the tank

I don't think he's done line Marvin Harrison is done

For one thing, Holt is four years younger than Harrison

Secondly, in 2007 Holt had a typical Torry Holt year with 93 Grabs for 1200 Yards

Last year their O-line was a mess and so was their QB situation, with Bulger even getting benched at one point

Anyway, I think Holt still has something left in the tank .. not what he used to be in his prime, but I think he can still approach 80/1000 in the right situation and buy us another year at wideout, which we'll probably need even if we do draft a WR high[/QUOTE]

+1

I'm all for drafting a WR, preferably in the first round, but as GJH points out, first year receivers rarely make significant contributions, let alone when paired with a first year starter like Ratliff or near first year starter like Clemens.

All League
    This guy is like almost as old as I am, but taller and skinnier.

No thanks.

I'm not saying we should look to get holt.

But to say he's done is hilarious. Did you see the rams last year? They were terrible.

Holt even at 32 years young runs some of the best routes in the league, and doesnt drop anything. He may not be as fast as he once was, but he still gets seperation with his route running.

Rookie

I Agree with Her!

[url]http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/video/x6f97a_fantasy-sports-girl-training-camp-p_sport?from=rss[/url]

Whatever She Says!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Holt will wind up being cut.

Nobody in their right mind will trade for a 33 year old WR.

He had 66 catches for 790 yds and 3 receiving TD's last season.

If the Jets have any interest in Holt (which I hope they dont'), all they have to do is wait for the Rams to cut him.

All League
    Won't need to trade for him, ESPN just was saying Holt is asking for STL to release him...

Hall Of Fame
    Holt is interesting (god i can't believe he's been in the league 10 years) I'd certainly take a look -- he's gonna have a solid year in '09 i feel after the miserable '08 campaign..I'd trade a low round pick for em, if only to fend off other suitors but at the same time i'm ok with entering the draft with Cotch as our #1 but Holt is certainly interesting and I'd pull the trigger.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Holt's nothing more than a #3 WR at this point.

The problem is, we don't have a true #1... so even if we ended up with Holt, we need to use a high draft pick on a wideout.

The question is - would you rather have Holt as a mediocre stop gap or would you rather give Stuckey/Clowney/Henry a chance to sniff the field?

All League
    bring him in if he gets cut

obviously he is passed his prime, but didnt have a healthy bulger last year, no run game most of the time, and with bruce gone he was the only threat to the defense...he is still better than anyone in our wr core, and wouldnt cost too much to bring in

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3035044]I think you guys are underestimating what Holt still has left in the tank

I don't think he's done like Marvin Harrison is done

For one thing, Holt is four years younger than Harrison

Secondly, in 2007 Holt had a typical Torry Holt year with 93 Grabs for 1200 Yards

Last year their O-line was a mess and so was their QB situation, with Bulger even getting benched at one point

Anyway, I think Holt still has something left in the tank .. not what he used to be, but I think he can still approach 80/1000 in the right situation and buy us another year at WR, which we'll probably need even if we do draft a WR high[/QUOTE]

+1000

Why are people saying Holt is "DONE"? One low production year on a terrible offense?

If Torry Holt is a Jet next year he's a 80 rec 1000 yard receiver.
    You think Chansi Stuckey is gonna give you those numbers? Stuckey is a decent #3

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TDJETS10;3036064]+1000

Why are people saying Holt is "DONE"? One low production year on a terrible offense?

You think Chansi Stuckey is gonna give you those numbers? Stuckey is a decent #3[/QUOTE]

Holt isn't done..maybe not top 10..maybe 11 who knows but he's def not done.

Rookie

I agree!

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3036080]Holt isn't done..maybe not top 10..maybe 11 who knows but he's def not done.[/QUOTE]

He still makes plays with the best of them!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4ap8dq6dE[/url]

[QUOTE=TDJETS10;3036064]+1000

You think Chansi Stuckey is gonna give you those numbers? Stuckey is a decent #3[/QUOTE]

Watch Holt play, he's lost the high-end speed that made his career. Most of his stats this year were the Rams force-feeding him the ball because they got nothing else besides Avery.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=KRL;3034920]Enough with the over 30 WR's. We have three young WR's who should
    be given the opportunity to take spots:

Stuckey
    Clowney
    Henry

And we are certain to draft a WR with one of our top picks. Everyone is
    always complaining about how we need speed at WR then they want to
    pick up over 30 WR's, makes no sense[/QUOTE]

Wallace Wright deserves a look as well.

All League
    [QUOTE=Cack89;3034881]I would DEF take a look at Holt, only if he'd be our 3rd reciever, and still draft a guy like Bey,Nicks,or Britt.[/QUOTE]

that would be ideal but what we really need is younger taller and faster receivers...... :cool:

IMO...Jets aren't giving up a #3 or 4 draft choice for an 32 y.o. aging veteran who's lost a step. If Holt is released, I'm sure Tanny will do his due diligence and talk with Torry or his agent.