Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien and Ryan would start on the JETS today!!!

Rookie

O'Brien and Ryan would start on the JETS today!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtTxm_Kemk[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Kenny O would have been outstanding with a top notch ol

Behind the current Jets O Line Obrien would be a top 10 QB...guy played with garbage O Linemen his entire career

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3037725]Kenny O would have been outstanding with a top notch ol[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Ken Obrien would be a great QB on this team. He had a cannon of an arm, was very accurate, rarely through INTs. His only knock was that he was as nimble as a three legged giraffe and tended to hold onto the ball too long. When you couple that weakness with the fact that he played behind the worse OL in history, its amazing he put up the numbers he did. If the 1985-1986 Ken O'brien was our starting QB last year there is no doubt in my mind we would have won it all.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[B]O'Brien would start on the JETS today!!! [/B]

I only wish....

Jets Insider VIP
    Damn! I would really liked to have seen OB with a good O-line. The guy had a great arm and was quite accurate. He just got the crap knocked out of him game after game after game. Watching Toon on that TD was beautiful. I remember that game well. The JETS had a bunch of talent back then, but none on the O-line.
    I worked for 36 years(actually still am) in Barnegat

[QUOTE=JETranger 206B;3037744]Damn! I would really liked to have seen OB with a good O-line. The guy had a great arm and was quite accurate. He just got the crap knocked out of him game after game after game. Watching Toon on that TD was beautiful. I remember that game well. The JETS had a bunch of talent back then, but none on the O-line.
    I worked for 36 years(actually still am) in Barnegat[/QUOTE]

Yeah Obrien had some weapons. Toon, One Eyed Wesley, Mickey Shuler and McNeil and hector in the backfield. Too bad he had a High School JV Quality OL. If he had a good OL maybe we would be talking about Obrien and not Marino as the steal of the draft.

Veteran
    Maybe we can get Mickey Shuler in the draft.

Obrien would have been a great QB if Walton was never hired as head coach. Obrien was a victim of the Jets crappy OL and The Waggle offense. If Obrien was in a system similar to SF or Miami I think his career would have been different.

O'Brien's career is like a mix of David Carr and Drew Bledsoe.

Both QB's were destroyed by poor OL's. Carr never had a prayer in succeeding, Bledsoe had success for a while before the mental aspect of a terrible line finally took it's toll.

O'Brien's career had the same kind of timeline, who knows how good he would have been with a decent line.

Love the Jets TD Drive

1st and 10 - Passing Play - Sack
    2nd and 17 - Passing play - Sack
    3rd and 23 - Passing Play - O'Brien gets killed, but gets the pass off in under 2 seconds, TD.

Kind of sums up O'Brien's issues
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 03-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3037801]O'Brien's career is like a mix of David Carr and Drew Bledsoe.

Both QB's were destroyed by poor OL's. Carr never had a prayer in succeeding, Bledsoe had success for a while before the mental aspect of a terrible line finally took it's toll.

O'Brien's career had the same kind of timeline, who knows how good he would have been with a decent line.[/QUOTE]

I understand the comparison to Bledsoe. But Carr?? I dont think so. Obrien was a much better QB than Carr

[QUOTE=kennyo7;3037814]I understand the comparison to Bledsoe. But Carr?? I dont think so. Obrien was a much better QB than Carr[/QUOTE]

It's hard to say with Carr. My point is that Carr was so destroyed by the Texans he never had a chance to succeed. He could have been good, but he got sacked so much so soon, that he just became a shell so fast. I think under different circumstances he could have been a good QB. Just like under different circumstances, O'Brien could have been a great QB

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3037725]Kenny O would have been outstanding with a top notch ol[/QUOTE]

Yeah.... never thought about it but I guess so.

Remember .... he was the other guy when Gastineau was picked up in STUDIO 54 for a fight I think. Before he was starting QB.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="LemonChiffon"]so would Brett Favre[/COLOR][/SIZE]

:O

Hall Of Fame
    Two other thoughts.

Bring back the 80's uniforms and dump the the blue ones. Yes the era of those uniforms were difficult times for Jets fans, but I loved those teams probably more than the team today. I got fired up seeing those uni's. :rockon:

Those old Pats uni's were classic. Kudos to Parcells for sticking them with the new ugly ones.:thumbup:

Hall Of Fame
    Pat Ryan was really good too. For about three games or so and then his performances dropped off a cliff. Perhaps it was that opposing defenses caught up to him. Perhaps his head could not handle the role of being a starter. It was never really clear why exactly he was not effective after the first few games but it happened often enough that that was pretty much the whole book on him. Same thing with Johnny Hector too. Great as the #2 guy or even in spot duty as a starter but his performances tailed off pretty quickly if he was asked to start more than a couple of games in a row.

Pat Ryan is one example of the reasons you really need to look at a young quarterback for longer look than just a few games. If he has success, the league will adjust to his tendencies and play him differently. If the kid does not adjust to the adjustments (and some of them never really do that) then that is all she wrote.

Mssrs. Ratliff, Ainge and Clemens, are you listening?

[QUOTE=EM31;3037885]Pat Ryan was really good too. For about three games or so and then his performances dropped off a cliff. Perhaps it was that opposing defenses caught up to him. Perhaps his head could not handle the role of being a starter. It was never really clear why exactly he was not effective after the first few games but it happened often enough that that was pretty much the whole book on him. Same thing with Johnny Hector too. Great as the #2 guy or even in spot duty as a starter but his performances tailed off pretty quickly if he was asked to start more than a couple of games in a row.

Pat Ryan is one example of the reasons you really need to look at a young quarterback for longer look than just a few games. If he has success, the league will adjust to his tendencies and play him differently. If the kid does not adjust to the adjustments (and some of them never really do that) then that is all she wrote.

Mssrs. Ratliff, Ainge and Clemens, are you listening?[/QUOTE]

#10 wasnt the most talented guy but he had alot of heart!!

Ken O'Brien would be a starter on about 25 teams today.

Veteran
    Position(s):
    Quarterback Jersey #(s):
    7, 15
    Born: November 27, 1960 (1960-11-27) (age 48)
    Rockville Centre, New York
    Career information
    Year(s): 1984–1993
    NFL Draft: 1983 / Round: 1 / Pick: 24
    College: California-Davis,
    Sacramento State
    Professional teams
    New York Jets (1983-1992)
    Philadelphia Eagles (1993)

Career stats
    TD-INT 128-98
    Yards 25,094
    QB Rating 80.4
    Stats at NFL.com
    Career highlights and awards
    2x Pro Bowl selection (1985, 1991

All League
    Are you guys remembering the same O'Brien that I do? Yes, he had a strong arm. Yes, he was accurate. [B]BUT[/B], he had one of the slowest releases I've ever seen, had absolutely no mobility, and never seemed to unload it if the pressure were on. While he wasn't blessed with the greatest OL, his aforementioned attributes were the main reasons he was beaten up on a regular basis. Please, no revisionists' history!